AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support Coming to New LG Smart TVs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. EatinPonies macrumors member

Yeah, did they mention specifically that it *won't* be in 2017/2018 models? Or have they just not addressed it for anything other than 2019 sets? Here's to hoping.

2. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

The article states 2019 TVs

3. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

There is really no excuse to not bring Airplay 2 to 7 and 8 series OLEDs. It's fine if they don't do anything for those with cheap LG LCD TVs, but they should hook up OLED buyers since we're paying a lot of money. Also the alpha 7 and alpha 9 are certainly capable. These processors are much higher-end than the chips they will use for their regular 2019 LCDs. If they have the performance to display 4K Dolby Vision (alpha 7 and 9), 4K @ 120p (alpha 9) and 4K60p 4:4:4 they can easily handle AirPlay 2.

4. nt5672 macrumors 68000

This is fine and good, until next year when Apple releases AirPlay3 and immediately drops support for AirPlay 1 & 2 (if they do it like their other products they'll probably drop existing support before Airplay3 is even released).

Then newly released iPhones, AppleTV, and iWatch won't work with AirPlay2. Guess what? A new round of hardware buying. Good for Apple and LG shareholders, users not so much.

Apple's tendency to just drop products and technologies without concern is why it is a bad investment to get into the Apple ecosystem.

5. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

While they're announcing this for 2019 models, that's not to say they won't add it to the 2017 and 2018 OLEDs. They're just focused on promoting the 2019 stuff they're announcing for CES so it makes sense that they aren't announcing it for anything else yet.

Even if they don't, if you have an Apple TV 4 or 4K this is really not a big deal. The 2018 OLEDs already have Google Assistant and Alexa so it's not like missing HomeKit is a big deal.

6. m11rphy macrumors 6502

m11rphy

Due for people who are all in on HomeKit its a massive deal, Amazon and Google are not the same. If cheap Samsung and Vizio tvs can support HomeKit there is no reason the A9 chip in the 2018 OLEDs can't. LG made a massive deal about how great this chip was last year

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Nope, Airplay didn't change (Major) for quite a few years, so there won't be Airplay 3 next year.

8. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I assure you that when there is motion at my doorbell it turns on WeMo switches and also turns on the backyard Ring floodlight. You can use WeMo switches to crosstalk between HomeKit and non-Homekit devices by using them as triggers and then you can set things up using IFTTT and Stringify. You can also use dimmers and you have a 0-100 programmable button that can trigger all kinds of things. There are also solutions using raspberry pi and software called home bridge to communicate with various other devices.

9. Defthand macrumors 6502a

While I applaud that Apple’s content services may no longer be device dependent, I’m holding out for Google Assistant to be a built-in feature in future TVs.

I’m hoping for a web browsing standard for TV-sized screens and handsfree video calls. Frankly, anything that makes phones unnecessary is welcome.

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

(OFF TOPIC)
    How do you like your Sonos Beam?
    Thinking about getting one.

11. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Well, for Samsung and Vizio TVs, it’ll be retroactive so older TVs already in people’s homes will support AirPlay with no purchase necessary. LG’s announcement that it’s only for 2019 TVs did throw a wrench in my gears.

Let’s see what Sony has to say but when essentially every major TV brand supports Airplay — some of them retroactively — then we get to a point where there’ll always be a TV nearby that you can Airplay to. It doesn’t get better than that.

12. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

It would be immoral if they sold the sets with Airplay 2 as a feature they expected to add, did they? I don't think the hyperbole which has become so typical of Macrumors is beneficial to anyone.

13. Cappy macrumors 6502

Interesting news regarding this.

I'm wondering if this is setting things up to eventually remove the current Apple TV's from distribution and then roll out a new product in the form of their own speaker bar system with Apple TV builtin. I had thought that they might do this when they released Dolby Atmos but maybe things weren't quite ready.

14. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Last year CES when the 8 series was announced, it was said that it will now work with Alexa and Google Assistant. Fast forward to today, Alexa is in Beta and still not rolled out.

Better don't sell your ATV just yet.

15. sir1963nz macrumors 6502a

There is ZERO chance of a "smart TV" ever entering our house.
    I can already hear the typewriters in the legal departments preparing a statement about how the TVs were not meant to have captured all that personal data, but it was a programming bug that no one picked up on and there will be an update coming soon (Read never).
    A TV is a dumb screen, that's all it needs to be. Want smarts, use something external that will be security updates, that has a real privacy policy, etc.

16. swm macrumors regular

i totally agree with you, and i'd extend it furthermore: no new TVs shall be smart.

to be honest, the whole smartTV stuff is a big ripoff. usually TV-sets (display) last much longer compared to the "smart" part. if you cram to much stuff into a tv-set, it will render the whole stuff obsolete faster that it should. obviously tv-set manufacturers see that the regular "features" like 4k (which is pretty much pointless in sub-65" screens), and the absolutely-useless-8k-pipe-dream will not produce them enough recurring annual revenue, so they went down the "smartTV" way. still releasing newer and newer models maybe every 6-12 months with no visible improvement but only a $2 more expensive arm based SoC to run the os on, and more recent sw. and they have no intention to support the "older" generation devices with sw upgrades, silently forcing you to upgrade to their newest model to get the most recent (gimmicky) smart-features.

i would just buy a simple set with HDMI switching and built in speakers. i don't need no aerial support, tuner, analogue-in, or any of those non-maintained crappy applications they preload onto the pretty much closed and buggy ecosystem they have. is there anybody out there who develops for webOS at all?

the stuff is slow, the remote is over-complicated and bulky, the UI is terrible and i can not endure waiting for a stupid display to "initialise" so i can switch fckin inputs.

and as the result this whole mess you have a lot more e-waste. compare to them, apple is lightyears away in terms of recycling and product lifecycle. how come that apple can still run the most recent iOS on a 5 year old phone with quite ok performance, and LG/Samsung can not support the next gen of their crapOS on one-year old TVs? i doubt they maxed out the possibilities in the CPU in the previous generation... and i also doubt that they intend to fix vulnerabilities in older code...

17. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

This is good news for iOS users being able to stream media to hotel TVs, visiting friends, etc., but no definitely not a replacement for an Apple TV. Why?
    1. Smart TV software is clunky, and rarely updated once a new model comes out.
    3. Smart TVs dip into (and likely sell) your personal info.
    4. Terrible UI interface.

18. tennisproha macrumors 65816

LG TVs suck including their OLEDs so this isn’t a big deal. Their customer service is also terrible so don’t hold your breath on getting any support.

I’d be wary of connecting any device to their OS since it’s got all the malware that logs data back to LG.

ATV 4K is the way to go.

19. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Literally right after I just bought my $4,000 65" 2018 LG E8 OLED 4K TV. How disappointing as I highly doubt it will be supported.

20. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Same. I'll just vote with my wallet as it will be my first & last LG TV. Incidentally, the 2018 Samsung in my bedroom will be compatible via a firmware update. Guess who will get my money when I eventually replace the TV in my lounge...

21. steve09090 macrumors member

This is a good example of Apple NOT after peoples money on EVERYTHING. Sure they aim to get it through subscriptions, content etc, but they've opened the software for others to use it. No need to buy an AppleTV, No need to buy Homepods, No need for people to think Apple is ALL about greed.

22. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Why should AppleTV go on sale? They can charge full price to people like you who need them.

23. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

This is amazing news.LG OLED is the very best in the market, imho, so I am glad to upgrade. Don’t want creepy google and microphones on my tv.

24. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Yes, if you bought your TV last week.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    Not happening. Putting the app on other platforms is the alternative option imo.

25. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I think it sounds great, it's a massive improvement on my TV speakers. Initially I wasn't bothered about a full surround sound system, but I like it enough to seriously consider adding some Play:1's as L/R Speakers (I already have one so it won't be too expensive)
    The integrated Alexa is good, the mic picks up better than my echo dots, and the HDMI ARC to my TV allows us to turn the TV on/off with Alexa.
    Music is fantastic through it, as you would expect from Sonos.