Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
"AirPlay 2-enabled TVs will act just like any other AirPlay 2 speaker, meaning you can send many different types of audio..."

so how does that replace an Apple TV? I can't even find the point of sending audio to a TV anyway; might as well send it to a sound system.
Just an awkwardly written summary of how the TV could be used as an AirPlay speaker as well as a video target.

Reactions: adrianlondon

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
As someone who was selling Apple products during the 2018 holiday season, Apple TVs were not a hot seller and HomePods were the worst. The only folks buying an Apple TV were those looking for a way to display photos or their personal movie/shows collections. As a sales man, I don't tell them that streaming photos or movies can be done via VLC and/or any DNLA app included with a Smart TV. As an individual, I feel rotten for having to sell things that people don't need. As an Apple user, it saddens me how much hope I had for the Apple TV and where it's at today.

Reactions: HJM.NL

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
RE: "described as coming soon:"

When your AAPL, you don't need to actually Produce anything, just issue a PR that says you will Produce !

In the meantime, the AAPL Board is interviewing Cook's possible replacement !

NO ONE should be surprised if AAPL announces this week that Cook has stepped down as CEO.

You appear to have spun off into another dimension.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
"AirPlay 2-enabled TVs will act just like any other AirPlay 2 speaker, meaning you can send many different types of audio..."

so how does that replace an Apple TV? I can't even find the point of sending audio to a TV anyway; might as well send it to a sound system.
It offers a workaround for non-AirPlay soundbars.

Reactions: adrianlondon

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Does this means that there is hope to be able to view purchased movies/shows via iTunes on Samsung tablets in the near future? I know we can watch purchased movies via movies anywhere app, but some movies aren't available yet, and we can't watch purchased shows yet either.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I’m hoping for iTunes movies on Android soon. I just bought my kids a cheap Android tablet because iPad prices are way too high, but all of my purchased kids movies are trapped in iTunes. It would be great to be able to play those movies on an Android tablet for long car rides.

Reactions: Enclavean

avtella

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2016
As someone who was selling Apple products during the 2018 holiday season, Apple TVs were not a hot seller and HomePods were the worst. The only folks buying an Apple TV were those looking for a way to display photos or their personal movie/shows collections. As a sales man, I don't tell them that streaming photos or movies can be done via VLC and/or any DNLA app included with a Smart TV. As an individual, I feel rotten for having to sell things that people don't need. As an Apple user, it saddens me how much hope I had for the Apple TV and where it's at today.

I agree, same thought. Additionally if preparing for an in house a streaming service this new change makes even more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: x0vash0x

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Smart move. Maximizes the potential number of people that will register an account with Apple and buy movies through them. It's all about getting more people into the ecosystem so that they eventually buy products from Apple's primary money makers (iPhone, Mac, AR glasses, etc.) and get locked in. If you're confused by this, it's probably because you're already an Apple customer. This move wasn't exclusively for you, it's for the consumer that isn't in Apple's ecosystem yet. Investors won't care about Apple TV sales going down if it means the services category goes up (it's all about services these days because they're a mostly surefire way to ensure a customer will give you money every year).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This pretty much rules out needing an Apple TV. Just AirPlay from an iOS or MacOS device. That is assuming you are in the market for a new fancy TV. Our old 2008 720p Panasonic Plasma still works just fine. The 4K quality is impressive though.

To you maybe.

This might be hard to believe, but people use tvOS apps on AppleTV and enjoy the integration with their iOS devices. AppleTV brings the simplicity, ease of use and polish of Apple to a TV user interface. I wouldn’t want to have to deal with my TV’s UI so it serves as a dumb screen for my AppleTV. AirPlay won’t turn a Samsung TV into an Apple TV.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
This pretty much rules out needing an Apple TV. Just AirPlay from an iOS or MacOS device. That is assuming you are in the market for a new fancy TV. Our old 2008 720p Panasonic Plasma still works just fine. The 4K quality is impressive though.
Honestly, you should junk that plasma. Today’s TVs are brighter, with equal blacks, weigh 1/5th of the plasma, and very importantly they use 1/10th of the energy.

I finally junked my last Pannny plasma. Got a basic Sharp 1080p 55” for a few hundred bucks and it’s far superior. And it’ll pay for itself on the energy savings. We even junked a perfectly OK 32” sharp LCD Aquos from 2007 for another 720p Sharp 32” for $80. Better picture, and will pay for itself in energy savings in less than a year. And it weighs nothing compared to the 40 pound model it replaced, and take sup less space with the much smaller bezels.

4K is fine, but great deals are to be had on 2K right now.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I’m thinking this is a move to prepare for apple’s video streaming service.
Probably true. But this will be an awkward way to stream. Developin an app for all TV platforms (like established streaming players do) would make much more sense. Otherwise people may prefer to stick with more convenient options.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I know Apple always things it's a closed system, but my gut feeling says the later.. More and more of this stuff starts out Apple-only, then opens the door further, to the point you almost can't really call it a "closed system" anymore for that specific feature-set. Although, good for Apple and other devices as well, its all makes Apple happy..

But still, diverting more and more from a once closed system. They keep trying to defend this statement, and they are loosing the further they go. Apple music on Andoid, Airplay was once only for Apple devices and a select few phones...

Now its turned into smart TV's as well.. Being Apple as they are, they would still hold limitations, so I don't reckon will be all fun and games.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
To you maybe.

This might be hard to believe, but people use tvOS apps on AppleTV and enjoy the integration with their iOS devices. AppleTV brings the simplicity, ease of use and polish of Apple to a TV user interface. I wouldn’t want to have to deal with my TV’s UI so it serves as a dumb screen for my AppleTV. AirPlay won’t turn a Samsung TV into an Apple TV.
There is nothing special about tvOS (apart from ridiculous remote). Modern TV sets offer just as good interfaces with a benefit of integration with cable TV and other features (volume control etc.)

Reactions: HJM.NL

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I would just like my 2018 Vizio 4k TV to support AirPlay, I have an Apple TV but I don't use it much since Movies Anywhere has almost all of my purchased movies, mostly all of them except Paramount... so no Star Trek. Also, 4k AirPlay would be great, can't stream all these 4k videos that are shot on my iPhone anywhere.

ee4life

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I’m hoping for iTunes movies on Android soon. I just bought my kids a cheap Android tablet because iPad prices are way too high, but all of my purchased kids movies are trapped in iTunes. It would be great to be able to play those movies on an Android tablet for long car rides.

Have you tried Movies Anywhere? If you just link accounts you should be able to watch most iTunes purchased movies using Vudu, Amazon, Google Play, etc. Or you can play them directly in the Movies Anywhere app.

Granted certain studios (Paramount, Lionsgate, and I think MGM?) won't port, but it would hopefully allow you to bridge a significant portion of your collection to their tablets.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Aren't AV receivers already capable of AirPlay?
Yes, it is quite common, but for sound only. Whats new is that it is including picture as well, so you can watch movies or mirror your iOS or Mac. I think it is great, as often if you visit other people and want to share something and they don't have an Apple device, you will have to get some obscure app which painfully shows your photos or videos.

I am not sure how it will fare toward the Apple TV, the experience from it is much better than via the TV apps, but the Android TVs are becoming increasingly more intuitive and powerful, so we'll see. The A-chips are becoming very powerful, and if Apple get better at the frameworks for tvOS, it may still be reckoned.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
hmmm interesting. Would be great if I could use this to get the sound from the TV to connect to a couple of HomePods.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Will still need AppleTV for remote access to HomeKit?

Also will those who purchase a new Samsung TV be able to watch such hits like "Carpool Karaoke"?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I'm trying to imagine a scenario with this that doesn't involve me getting up to turn on another device. Currently I can tell my phone to airplay, say, Apple Music, to my Great Room Apple TV. Doing that wakes up the ATV, which in turn, though HDMI, turns on the TV. But at that point I am stuck listening to the music through the TV speakers unless I go over to my entertainment center and turn on the receiver to pump the TV sound out to my external speakers.

How is your receiver hooked up, and how old is it? If the receiver is capable of HDMI-CEC (HDMI consumer electronics control), it can be set up to turn on in a chain along with the tv. We have setup in our bedroom with an ancient Toshiba 1080p TV and Sony sound bar that works this way, as well as a setup in the living room with a new LG 4K TV and a Sony receiver that’s a few years old.

In the case of our living room setup, we have a new 4K TV but an older receiver that can’t pass along a 4K signal. So instead of having the receiver in the middle of the chain, we have the Apple TV feeding 4K directly to the TV, and then another HDMI cable sending audio from the TV to the receiver via the HDMI-ARC (audio return channel) port. Using the HDMI port labeled ARC is essential for this tv-in-the-middle setup. It works great to turn all three items on and off with just the Apple remote.

This won’t work if you’re using an optical cable for audio (must be properly configured HDMI), and your tv and receiver need to support the CEC standard. If they do, you might need to enable the feature in the settings of all three pieces of equipment (and your tv or receiver might have some proprietary name for it, as I think mine do). It’s in the Remotes and Devices settings in the Apple TV.

Last edited:

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
AirPlay 2 on Roku TVs and we have a winner!
[doublepost=1546837949][/doublepost]There were rumors of Apple looking into a cheap stick to take on the chromecast, this could be just the answer to that. No need to maintain a new product, just open it up. Win-win.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015

Exactly, instead of Siri Remote, Apple basically want your iPhone to be your remote and TV UI. And your TV just being a dump screen. ( Although I am not sure if this is a right way to do it, navigation on iPhone and TV means my heads had to constantly look up and down when ever I want to switch programme. )

This is mainly about movies, TV, rentals etc. Not really apps??? or games??

Vast majority of Apple TV are just for streaming, hardly anyone buy or play Games. on it. The numbers from Minecraft on Apple TV is dismal.

Screen mirroring or no?

I would think so, otherwise it wouldn't really be "AirPlay".

Playing it on an Apple TV is still superior compared to air playing content, which gets interrupted when you move to the spot of your home with poor or no wifi or when someone rings you up.

And for quite a few people the TVs sound bar may be the only sound system they have.

I think that depends on Content. For some the iPhone are only used for Authentication, once you Airplay, the iPhone hands over the downloading to AirPlay devices.

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
Which is exactly why I’d be scratching my head if I were a stockholder.

Service revenue growth. Get people to buy iTunes Movies. People who have an AppleTV are already tied into the Apple Ecosystem. I can't imagine the AppleTV has sold that well compared to other products.

Not to mention its eventual TV/Movie Subscription Service. If you want people to subscribe to your Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu Competitor, you need to be on their same platforms.

Again. Service revenue growth. They're setting up the infrastructure now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.