AirPlay 2 on Smart TVs: Other Brands Coming, Lock Screen Controls, Siri, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ksec macrumors 6502

Samsung , LG, Sony, Panasonic, HiSense, TCL, Skyworth, Vizio.

These lots pretty much covers 60% of Smart TV Market Shares going forward.

BUT.....

I still want an Apple Branded SmartTV with Apple TV UI.

2. Lacasse macrumors regular

I disagree. Recurring revenue from subscriptions coming in every month is much better than selling me an iPhone every three years. Great move..a necessary one at that.

3. bluespark macrumors 65832

Have your TV turn on your receiver. Or use a universal remote.

4. robbieleffel macrumors member

robbieleffel

I need LG WebOS to add Airplay 2 via software update!

5. Kev0172 macrumors newbie

“- Smart TVs with AirPlay 2 will also integrate with Siri and HomeKit, meaning you can use your voice to request that a specific show be played on a specific TV, for example.”

Is this even possible with Siri and an Apple TV? I don’t think I can say”hey Siri play game of thrones on my Apple TV”

6. joelhinch macrumors member

joelhinch

Here's an idea. Develop tvOS for TV manufacturers to run on their TVs, that way at least we don't have to deal with these ****** TV UIs at all. Oh and I want the Siri remote to work with them too.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Airplay Music, Airplay 2 and Airplay Video are different protocols with different support. Heck, Airplay Video is a collection of protocols.

8. venturelli macrumors newbie

venturelli

It’s for video and pictures and screen mirroring, not just audio.

9. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

actually ... not very ethical, haha

10. kemal54 macrumors newbie

kemal54

As said earlier above, this literally means the end of Apple TV! Do you think there will be video projectors coming with the support of AirPlay 2 as well so schools do not have to buy Apple TVs anymore?

11. Hicksmat1976 macrumors regular

Hicksmat1976

surely the end of the notion of Apple making its own TV's?
    and begs the question why would you buy an Apple TV going forwards?

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I wouldn't. It increases the usefulness of iOS and MacOS to users, so it will increase Mac and iPhone / iPad sales. If Apple makes one sale of an iPhone XS instead of a Samsung phones, and loses five Apple TV sales, they are still up financially.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    This needs to be corrected.

You are completely confusing the name of the company, and their stock market symbol. The company is Apple. The stock market symbol is AAPL. There is no AAPL board. AAPL is not interviewing or announcing anything.

In addition to that, Tim Cook has made Apple gazillions of money. Nobody at Apple has the slightest inclination to remove him. Shareholders would be screaming if Apple tried to remove the person that made them rich. If Tim Cook decided to retire, they would BEG him to stay longer.
    You use the TV app on your iPhone. The TV, I just want it to play movies.

13. maxfromdenmark macrumors member

maxfromdenmark

14. BMox macrumors 6502a

It really isn't the end for Apple TV.

15. kemal54 macrumors newbie

kemal54

If I can find a projector with AirPlay 2 support, then it is over for me.

16. fokmik macrumors 68040

my apple tv is also a beacon for home lights, cameras ,garage etc from distance, that an samsung tv cannot do

17. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

They need to introduce a cheap Apple TV Stick to go to the low end of the market and beef up the current Apple TV Box to make it a console replacement for the high end of the market.

18. fokmik macrumors 68040

too late for that...Apple just needs to release a real TV that has integrated appleTV inside functions etc

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

How much money does Apple make off iTunes/Apple Music? Are these streaming video services hugely profitable?

20. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I suspect Apple Music still isn’t profitable yet. No idea on iTunes.

21. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

Ah ok, I didn't get that from the OP; I read it as supporting audio only. If I can mirror my screen and send video to my TV then that would be great. And I can see it replacing an Apple TV purchase.

I don't generally like the idea of adding multiple features to a product - I can see people buying a new TV because they want a newer GUI rather than the picture not being good - but then I've just been burnt by having the battery on a great pair of bluetooth headphones die and Plantronics' response was "you need to buy a new pair of headphones".

22. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Except iTunes on Windows was about increasing iPod sales. This doesn’t increase sales of Apple hardware. Are streaming music and video services that profitable? It’s one thing to have services that are a product feature, that make your hardware more desirable. But when the services are the product themselves? Once Apple opens the floodgates the expectation will be that its services are everywhere. If I can buy and watch iTunes content on a Samsung TV, an Android phone/tablet and a Windows PC what’s the differentiation for Apple hardware anymore? I don’t see how Apple will be able to justify a premium price on their hardware anymore. And no way an Apple video service is going to pull in the kind of revenue and profits Apple hardware does.
    My guess is the market for those who want to play console level games on an Apple TV is very small. Apple shouldn’t waste resources on it. Cut the price of the current box and introduce a cheap dongle.
    Once the floodgates are open Wall Street will be pressuring Apple to put these services everywhere. Roku, Android, Windows, Amazon, you name it. The argument will be that these services only work if they’re at scale and ubiquitous. How that drives Apple hardware sales is beyond me.
    OK so then I don’t understand the need for Apple’s video service to be cross platform on day 1. It’s one thing to have a service that might not be profitable but it helps sell another product or make another product more valuable. Yeah I’m sure Apple needs scale if it ever wants it’s video service to be profitable but as of right now there is zero positive buzz around Apple’s video plans that would make someone want to sign up for it. Why not launch it on Apple platforms first and then once they’ve demonstrated it might be something good they can push it cross platform.

My biggest concern is there is no one at Apple who can explain the shift in business model in a compelling way. The biggest thing Apple has been missing since Steve Jobs died was someone who could sell a product and deliver a compelling narrative. Cook can’t do it. Neither can any of his SVPs. Look back at the Apple Music launch at WWDC. Just awful. And when the new Apple TV was launched Tim Cook framed it as the future of TV is apps. Yet I can’t remember the last time anyone at Apple talked about apps on the Apple TV. I’m sure Tim Cook will get up on stage, pace around and say that Apple has thought deeply about blah blah blah and Eddy Cue will come up and give us the what, and the how and how much it costs but the why will be left to others to fill in.

24. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Game of Thrones, a new series? Oh no I remember, those are the guys that took two years to do 6 episodes. :p

25. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I'd love to use Movies Anywhere, but I'm in Canada and the service isn't available here. :(