Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit today shared a teardown of the second-generation AirPods, providing a closer look at the H1 chip with Bluetooth 5.0 and the same 93 milliwatt hour battery in each of the AirPods in line with the original pair.

airpods-2-teardown-800x354.jpg
New charging case on left and new AirPods with H1 chip labeled in red on right via iFixit

The repair website also pried open the new wireless charging case, which continues to have a 398 mAh battery capacity, and said there is a new "water-repellent coating" on the circuit board. The teardown notes that the updated charging case "seems designed for increased durability, but not repairability."

Unsurprisingly, the new AirPods earned a zero for repairability, as iFixit says they remain "disappointingly disposable." AirPods are not designed to be serviced, as no hardware components can be accessed without damaging the earphones, and sealed-in batteries make the AirPods a consumable product.

airpods-2-teardown-full-800x541.jpg

Many of these details were already known, but the teardown still provides an interesting look at the internal differences compared to the first-generation AirPods. More photos and tech specs are available over on iFixit's website.

Article Link: AirPods 2 Teardown: H1 Chip With Bluetooth 5.0, Same Batteries, and Water-Repellent Coating on Charging Case Board

bigboyz12000

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
USA
I thought Apple related in the announcement that these new AirPods have an extra hour of battery life? How so with the same sized battery? 5 hours of listening and 3 hours of talk time. Can't wait to see the tests.

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
Even not being repairable, I wish apple offered a flat rate for a swap because of degraded battery life

or AppleCare

But that's probably part of their plan, is to get you used to shelling out $160-200 for a disposable (though highly valued) accessory.

--

I personally have been taken care of when issues arose out of warranty, and as always, sing my praises of Apple support (they arent 100% on point, but man have I had some good experiences and just by being nice and reasonable rather than pushy and assumptive)

It is cool the board has a water repellent coat at least.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Do the same water repellent properties apply to the new case that doesn't have wireless charging?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
So the battery life increase is likely due mostly to use of Bluetooth 5 over 4 in the AirPods ?

Reactions: aylk

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
At least they could give you a discount when you bring them to the AS to buy a new pair.

Yeah... something!

Out of warranty replacement if you swap left, right, and the case is MORE than a retail pair since each part is $69 i believe.

I get it, they want to re-coup like half the amount if you damage one single earbud, or trash a case, or something, but its absurd it all adds up to more than a retail pair, still.

Apple has gotten on my good graces by being champs about my out of warranty pair, and when I had flexgate I was covered under AppleCare (as that one should be)

but thats all it would take for me to think they are customer service oriented again, to some extent, is to publicly address flexgate, and offer some viable options (that arent 'ymmv' situations) as a standard for existing AirPod users that are hooked.

because i am still concerned about the long term durability of my laptop after it goes out of warranty at the end of this year, and I think next time I have AirPod problems, if I do, I'll be shelling out for 2nd or hopefully when that happens, 3rd gen at this point. I have gotten my $'s worth, but I'm not happy about a $160 product just being disposable and my upgrade cycles will be pushed out further because of it

Last edited:

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
There is something ironic about these being a status symbol among 'millenials' who prize saving the oceans, cutting waste and cutting CO2 emissions when these are perhaps one of the worst accessories in existence to buy for the environment.

Really? What about the iPad that is non-repairable either and much larger? Literally the majority of Apple's lineup is now non-user repairable. And I don't get the hatred towards millennials as I see just as many Boomers and Gen Xers with AirPods as I do millennials. I do not see what sociology has to do with headphone choice.

VulchR

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Apple needs to stop making products that cannot be repaired. You might give Apple a pass for the ear buds, but they do the same thing for all of their products and it sucks. Any yes, I am still using an iPhone 4S. Why? Because getting to the battery to replace wasn't hard unlike the newer models, and treating electronics like disposable trash is ruining the planet. I'll be upgrading my phone soon, but Apple increasingly is making their products less attractive by making them hard to repair while simultaneously making them less reliable.

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Oct 1, 2007
Apple needs to stop making products that cannot be repaired. You might give Apple a pass for the ear buds, but they do the same thing for all of their products and it sucks. Any yes, I am still using an iPhone 4S. Why? Because getting to the battery to replace wasn't hard unlike the newer models, and treating electronics like disposable trash is ruining the planet. I'll be upgrading my phone soon, but Apple increasingly is making their products less attractive by making them hard to repair while simultaneously making them less reliable.

Pretty sure XS/XR batteries are still replaceable though... using iPhones may be a bad example.

IN general, I'd agree though. iPads, AirPods, Macs are not really repairable.

On Macs, I find it totally unacceptable. No matter the justification (thinness, consolidated repair parts from Apple's perspective, etc etc)

Ipads have been un-repairable since 2010, and most people are fine witohut issues holding onto theirs for a long time because the battery is way bigger, so cycles dont get used up as quickly, and its not like an iPhone where people easily go through 1-2 cycles a day. And sometimes peoples' tablets get a lot of use, and others they just sit there and collect dust.

The problem is GREATLY exacerbated with AirPods, for people who depend on them/take calls on them/ while they have incredibly low capacity to boot.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
What would you expect to be able to repair in a product like this? Maybe replace the case battery but that's about it.
That is precisely what one would want to do. Replace the battery in the each bud. The Galaxy Buds got a 6 out of 10 from ifixit due to the relatively easy procedure to replace the coin cell battery in each bud which is available online. We all know that after 2 years of frequent use the batteries will be degareded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.