AirPods 2 With Grip Coating and AirPower Said to Launch This Spring

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's forthcoming second-generation AirPods will feature a new design and improved audio performance, while its AirPower wireless charging pad will launch in the Spring, a new report claims today.

[​IMG]

Rumor site MySmartPrice said one of its "trusted sources" claims the AirPods 2, tipped for release this year, will offer better bass response thanks to improved internals, and both the earbuds and case will include a special matte coating to enhance grip, similar to a coating used on the glass back of Google's Pixel 3 phone.

The report also repeats previous rumors suggesting Apple's second-generation AirPods will feature health monitoring features, including heart-rate monitoring, and claims that battery life is likely to be more or less similar to the current model.

In addition, the site believes the new AirPods 2 earphones will be available in black and white colors and cost around $200, a 40 dollar increase on the current price, although whether this detail comes from the same source or just speculation is unclear.

The site's source offers no concrete launch window for the AirPods 2, however in a separate report this morning, DigiTimes reiterated previous rumors from its supply chain sources that Apple will release new-generation AirPods in the first half of this year. Apple supplier Inventec is a major assembler of AirPods and expects its shipments to grow further as a result of the launch, which has also been tipped for early 2019 by well-connected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Meanwhile, MySmartPrice claims Apple's AirPower wireless charging pad will be thicker than originally planned due to an internal 8-7-7 coil configuration, and will finally be released in Spring this year, "alongside the wireless charging case for the first-generation AirPods." Apple is expected to release a standalone AirPods case that can be purchased as an upgrade for existing AirPods to enable wireless charging.

Back in November, MySmartPrice was first to spot new AirPods listings in the Bluetooth Special Interest Group's regulatory database, suggesting a refreshed version of the accessory could be coming in the near future. Otherwise, the site doesn't have much of a track record for corroborated Apple rumors, so the above details should be taken with a grain of salt.

Article Link: AirPods 2 With Grip Coating and AirPower Said to Launch This Spring

2. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

3. eddjedi macrumors 6502

"Better bass response"

I guess improving from zero isn't going to be that difficult.

4. thasan macrumors 65816

Wish they had an in ear version with silicone tips :(

5. Mettwurst macrumors newbie

Mettwurst

With the release of Airpower and its affiliation, it will turn out. With what connection, whether Lightning or USB-C, the new iPhones coming out this year.

I'm praying for a new phone with USB-C. I want to upgrade from my iPhones 6s for a long time.

6. thasan macrumors 65816

Are you saying that airpods do NOT give any output in 20 - 250 ish Hz? Thats a very interesting comment ...

7. Marzel macrumors regular

For what they are it's not that bad. There is room for improvement of course since other headphone makers have shown that it is possible to get great bass and sound quality on a tiny earpiece.

8. simonb76 macrumors member

"a 40 dollar increase on the current price".

Seeing how popular the Airpods are and what Apple is like these days, I can see that price bump coming selling Airpod 1's and 2's together for a while.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple won’t sell the first GEN AirPods alongside the second GEN AirPods. Why? Because they want the consumer to buy their newest product, by offering an older accessory to the first GEN AirPods, that will just detract away from sales. The first Gen AirPods will likely be discontinued.

10. Ebok macrumors 6502

Gotta makeup for the 9 billion they didn’t make on iPhone sales somehow :rolleyes:

I’ll stick with my 1st gen until they break. Best earbuds I’ve ever had

11. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Release them in black and I might be interested. White is a no-no.

12. ttforever macrumors member

No one seems to have any air-pods so maybe they are dwindling stock already? None anywhere other than apple in the UK seems to have them, no apple store in the Netherlands had them, looking online there seems to be shortage everywhere

13. ksec macrumors 6502a

I don't blame them, AirPod has been selling like crazy and according to Apple selling as fast as they could make them. No reason to lower price. The Christmas in 2018, Apple had well prepared for AirPod Stock in advance and they sell manage to sold out for two weeks.

I can't wait to see what is in store for 2019. We should have March Event. WWDC in June, and Keynote in September. That is hopefully AirPod 2 , AirPower, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone SE2? ( Just upgrade internal ) in March, Massive iOS and macOS update in WWDC, lots of new things from UI to under the hood changes with Swift 5's stable ABI. And Finally the last iteration of iPhone X design, along with new iMac and Mac Pro in September.

14. twolf2919 macrumors member

AirPods have always been hard to get, but it's getting ridiculous! We just went to China to visit in-laws and had to bring some Apple goodies (a tradition of sorts for us) - this year it was to be AirPods. Went to 2 Apple stores (TWICE!) but didn't have any!. Then we tried Target - nada - and a couple Walmarts. We finally got lucky because the person at the second Walmart was on the phone with a dude in a third and asked them for us. Turned out that one had 5 pairs left. We snarfed up 3.

My AirPods are going on 2 years now and I've definitely noticed reduced charge on the pods - I barely get an hour out of them when, I think, it used to be 2. Might just have to bequeath them to my daughter once the new ones come out :)

15. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Well, yes. Rather pointless otherwise.

16. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

What is your definition of a long time?
    The 6s is current tech
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 ---
    in old speak i would say, don't you have online shopping over there, haha

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I would love one in a grey (possibly Space Grey) color.

18. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

If the 2nd AirPod is going to cost around $200, I have to try one out to see if the music will be comparable to other headphones at that price range.

I think you're right. Buy a new case (don't know price at this time) or buy a new 2nd Gen for rumored price of $200.

19. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I see myself getting AirPower and upgrading to Airpods 2. Together with the next Apple Watch upgrade later this year, the triumvirate will finally be complete.

20. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

What are you doing to them? When new I was getting 4 hours at medium volume, easily.

21. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

I guess yours are broken, my AirPods have plenty of bass :)

22. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Just battery wear and tear over time. I got the advertised 5 hours when I first got my Airpods, and they barely last two hours these days.

Still, well worth it for the comfort and convenience they have afforded me these 2+ years.

23. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

I’ll be first in line - my 2 year old AirPods won’t hold a charge running in the cold. Nothing more frustrating than 6miles into a half marathon they die/drop.

24. Bornee35, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

don't forget to included "trusted source" and "speculation". Literally nothing of which your complaining about has been confirmed or implemented by apple.

25. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I can get a pretty decent bass response. Not overpowering like other products which I see as an advantage.