AirPods 2 With Grip Coating and AirPower Said to Launch This Spring

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:06 AM.

1. Marco Klobas macrumors member

Marco Klobas

Interested in the "matte coating" as far as it will provide improved grip. Ear fitting/isolation probably won't be on the same level like regular silicon buds offer, though.

Glad to be proven wrong. Surprise me, Apple.

2. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

No usb-c changes like that until next year. They aren’t ready to do a full swing change quite yet.

3. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Same. My AirPods were fine, then declined over a very short period of time. I thought I might have a defective pair but this seems to be a common occurrence.

4. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

5. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Better grip and wireless charging... you can buy a silicone case for your AirPods that gives them wireless charging....and also gives them grip

6. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I didn't really plan on buying AirPods 2 but if they're grippy (and maybe stay in my ears?), I might have to.

Just as long as they still sound like Apple and not Beats. If I wanted to listen to my music through a wet blanket, I'd listen to my music through a wet blanket.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The only guaranteed upgrade will be the price.

8. doctor-don macrumors 65816

Apparently, someone at Apple finally tried to get the AirPods out of their case. Now we have a special matte coating to increase grip. That should have been done on the first release.

9. macguru212 macrumors regular

macguru212

Absolutely. Earbuds don't cut it with my ears. Aside from the sound leakage issues, there's a small matter of the things falling out all the time. :(

10. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

For what they are? $170 earphones with garbage sound are now acceptable?

Sennheiser is crying in the corner.

11. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors newbie

IRockThat828pScreen

God i hope it's not the same coating as the Pixel 3. That means a damn patch of alpaca wool could scratch it.

12. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

You do know the iPhone has actually gotten thicker in recent years, right?

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Glad I’m not the only one who dislikes beats. I bought a pair of beats solo headphones a few years ago. Not only were they uncomfortable but they sounded muffled and muddy. I couldn’t give them away. It was a relief last year when my husband broke them through carelessness.

14. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

I'm not paying for audiophile level sound quality. I am paying for the convenience of them.

15. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Every time I see someone vehemently defending airpods' sound quality, I wonder if they have ever tried a pair of non-Apple headphones of similar price. But as I teach in my business strategy course, product differentiation is based on customer perception not reality.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I’ve not used non apple headphones for the same price but I’ve used cheaper ones and they sounded better. However as others have already pointed out it’s not entirely about the sound quality. It’s about the unique features of the AirPods. The sound quality is acceptable.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

$200 earphones? No thanks. The $30 wired ones were a bit expensive for me...

Hard to get product, is better than a product widely available infested with flaws and manufacturing errors. Trust me...

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

The same original AirPods you love with improved sound at the same price. One more thing.... meet the new AirPod Pro available in black at only $199 truly a thing of beauty.

19. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

People aren't buying AirPods for sound quality. They are extremely convenient and comfortable. Working out with them is great. They sound fine for what they are. I have never used them and been upset with the sound quality.

20. err404 macrumors 68020

These can’t come soon enough. I lost my launch pair last week (Left at cafe. Gone when I returned). I am amazed by how much I miss them. I may jump the gun and re-buy the old version again anyway.

21. Arctic Moose macrumors member

Arctic Moose

It is very much related to your post. I am not sure what the release cycle has to do with this, but whatever. The Apple TV is updated roughly every other year. The 2015 Apple TV is still for sale. The iPad Pro is not on an annual release cycle, and the 10.5" is still available, even though the plain old iPad is available as a budget option for anyone not willing to pay for the 11".

Apple hasn't been able to catch up with demand for over two years. If Apple expects similar production issues and constrained component supply for an updated version it would make perfect sense to keep the current ones around at the same price and introduce a new version at a higher price where they can actually meet demand.

22. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Nonsense...there is no reason for Apple to make AirPods in any other color than white, and very good reasons they shouldn’t.

23. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I just wanted to say I am impressed on how you have summed that up... this is extremely true. Its the idea in the head of the consumer...

24. Onexy macrumors regular

Onexy

25. psylence2k macrumors 6502

Never tried the air pods, just remember a few of the lukewarm reviews on their "okay" sound quality and low battery life for a bluetooth headset when they first released so I just passed on them.

So I was surprised when I started seeing them EVERYWHERE. It's crazy how fast they caught on for a $159 bluetooth headset.

The trendy look + wireless convenience + charging case + Apple recognition really made these things blow up like crazy despite the okay sound quality and battery life (from what I heard).