AirPods 3 With Water Resistance Expected to Launch Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to release third-generation AirPods with water resistance in late 2019, according to Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives. The first two generations of AirPods do not have IP-rated water or dust resistance.

[​IMG]

In a research note this week, shared by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Ives said the new AirPods will be released in time for the holiday shopping season this year and may also feature some unspecified design enhancements. AirPods have had the same design since the original pair launched in December 2016.

This info lines up with several rumors about new AirPods launching within the next year.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to reveal Apple's roadmap for AirPods. In February 2018, he said Apple was working on new AirPods with Hey Siri support, which launched in March 2019 after a delay. In June 2018, he reported that Apple is working on another pair of AirPods with water resistance and noise cancelation.

Gurman also reported that Apple is developing over-ear headphones with noise cancelation that could launch as early as this year. The headphones are said to be "studio quality" and will likely have Apple branding.

In April, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said two new AirPods models will likely go into mass production between the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020, with one of the new models featuring an "all-new form factor design" and a "higher price" than the second-generation AirPods, which start at $159.

Both new AirPods models are said to adopt a new system-in-package design internally, which can improve assembly yield rates, save space internally, and reduce costs, but Kuo did not elaborate on outward-facing design changes.

Taiwanese website DigiTimes also expects third-generation AirPods with noise cancelation to launch by the end of the year.

Article Link: AirPods 3 With Water Resistance Expected to Launch Later This Year

2. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

Glad I waited on the 2nd gen ones... hopefully my battery holds out.

3. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

If you tried to swim with these, wouldn't they fall out really easily?... and then get lost?

4. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

I'd love Apple to come out with a pair of Airpods that have replaceable soft cushion earbuds. I'd purchase in a heartbeat. The current models just do not stay in my ear.

5. Optheduim macrumors regular

6. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

7. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Sometimes Apple waits years to update certain products.
    Sometimes Apple only waits months to update certain products.

Both are extremely annoying.

8. AngerDanger, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I regret waiting so long to buy these; my first pair were gen1 purchased in February and they are without a doubt my favorite Apple product in a while. I bring them places I never bothered to wind up headphones and pack for.

…and then you'd pass out, trying to dive for them, and then your spouse would find you emasculated and divorce you, taking the kids and house with her, you'd start hitting the bottle again, your work performance would drop, you'd get fired, and end up living on the streets for the rest of your short life.

**** these unreleased waterproof AirPods! :mad:

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68040

sulpfiction

I would hope Apple doesn’t launch new pods with just water resistance. That would be a pure money grab. I would hope that it’s a much bigger improvement with water resistance as one minor feature.

10. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i hope the way they fit in the ear won't change. no as long as my current one will last long enough i'll be glad that i didn't get 2nd gen.

11. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I would comment on loss-resistance but they have that mostly covered

12. handsome421 macrumors newbie

handsome421

They would need a heart-rate monitor and better bluetooth connection for me to upgrade.

13. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

same here. my talk time is terrible at this point...

14. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp

My first-gen AirPods still work great and fit perfectly, and I don't have anything that wirelessly charges just yet (save for my Watch Series 4).

Will wait and see, just as I have my phone (still an iPhone 7).

15. Pelea macrumors 6502

Thank u to all the beta testers who bought first gen. The real version comes out September

16. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

I don't see that happening, especially since that is already available from Beats.

17. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

I still haven't found a good reason to update my first gen AirPods. If I need Siri I can just use my phone...

18. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

19. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

The battery alone will be worth it, after using mine everyday at the gym for years, they don’t last as long as they used to, and the water resistance will be a bonus

20. w5jck macrumors regular

w5jck

They look like white goo running out of the wearer's ears... I find the ear pods to be very uncomfortable to wear, and they constantly fall out. I'm quite sure these overpriced and stupid looking airpods would do the same. To each their own though...and YMMV.

21. justiny Contributor

justiny

The first- and second-generation AirPods are already water resistant enough for most people, though only lacking the official IP certification. I would hope third-generation AirPods will have another improvement factor worthy of a higher price point.

And for those who have never owned AirPods before and are holding out, just get them. I love my AirPods 2 with wireless charging case, it’s now part of my everyday carry.

22. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

I would love an answer from Apple to the noise-canceling earbuds from Sony that just came out. I’m tempted to give those a try, would be great for watching Netflix or listening to audio books during my commute.

PowerBeats Pro could also do the trick with less isolation, but I find that charging case so bulky.

23. coolkid93 macrumors regular

coolkid93

Why if anyone was “smart” they would have waited for these considering the 2nd ones were a small incremental update lol

24. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

I've been lucky that the batteries in mine don't seem to have degraded at all. I've had my airpods since early 2017 and use them for ~4-6 hours daily.

25. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

EarPods and AirPods can’t really be compared when it comes to the fit. I was holding out on AirPods because EarPods were uncomfortable for me, but I regret that since they work just perfect. They're not for everyone of course.