AirPods and Apple Watch Called 'Underpriced' to Bring New Users Into Apple Ecosystem

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MagnusVonMagnum, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Well, there's two separate issues here. One is the SAD state of recorded music these days (it IS way over-compressed and I mean by that dynamic range). The other is lossy compression (e.g. 256/320kbps) and the latter I'd have to disagree. I think I've got pretty good ears and a $5000+ system based on Carver ribbons and the difference between lossless (e.g. Apple Lossless) and an AAC encode at 256kbps is negligible if at all audible. The real reason most albums on the "iTunes Store" sound ridiculous is that they're even more compressed than the freaking CDs and those are already compressed to hell in dynamic range!

I don't know what you mean by "physical" music, though. I have an LP system and I have a CD system and I have a digital media player and I have them in a home theater 6.1 system and a high-end 2-channel system that lately has had an outboard surround addition (for surround music and occasional TV/Movies in that room). I also have whole house capability with Klipsch speakers in bedrooms, guest rooms, workout rooms and other rooms. I can sync it all or play individually or someone can listen to the digital library (which has a lossless version and an AAC version available) through their own headphones here.

But the idea I shouldn't listen to music in my car because it's not as good as my home system would be ludicrous. Music <> recording quality. Music is mathematics. Some people can hear a song in their head just reading musical notation (a certain famous composer was well known for this). I've been to some pretty awful live concerts before too. Just because it's "real" doesn't mean it's pleasant (ask any parent who has a kid learning to play an instrument).

And you don't understand how much they're actually worth. :D

Yeah, that's it. I went on a 5 week vacation to Europe last year (including Hamburg, Paris, London and Bruges among several other stops) because I can't afford $159 headphones (I didn't fly coach on the way back either and I took a Cruise ship across the ocean on the way there with a suite.) I took noise canceling headphones (nice on the balcony) and a Bluetooth speaker to use with the Macbook Pro in the room (for in room media playback not dependent on their cheap TV speakers) with me. Yes, I'm practically downright destitute. :p

What really hurts is trying to keep earpods in my ears (they tend to fall out a lot, but then I can wiggle my ears so I may inadvertently be moving them in ways never intended) and find that they sound awful either way (and the looser the fit, the worse the bass response sounds).

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Cost aside, do we really think a Watch or earbuds are what are going to get people to buy iPhones, iPads, and macs? I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be surprised if that's how the average consumer brain worked.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    And this is an even better point that I didn't even think of.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

AirPods don't require an iPhone to use.

4. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

That is just too bad then.

Just last year, I bought a 9.7" iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, Apple Watch and Airpods, and I enjoy using them very much.

While many tech-oriented individuals question Apple's current strategy and long-term sustainability, the truth of the matter is that the Apple brand has never been stronger in the eyes of consumers buying the products. We can go even further to say that the Apple brand is so strong these days, consumers are not shocked or surprised to hear rumors about Apple entering new industries like cars. Meanwhile, the old guard here still can't get their hands around the idea of Apple designing its own car. Does no one that so utterly hilarious and ironic?

This is but the start of Apple's ascent all the way to the top. And you can either choose to embrace what Apple is doing here and partake in this new world order which is being shaped by Apple even as we speak, or you can continue to stay here and whine about not having 32 gb of ram in your MacBooks and now the Mac Pro hadn't been updated in years, and miss out on all these great products and experiences.

But it looks like you have already drawn your line in the sand. Pity. That is your loss, not mine.

5. profets macrumors 68030

I understand clearly what they're worth. They're worth what someone is willing to pay. What the market can bear. And if at $159 they can't keep up with demand then maybe they're not priced high enough?

Ok, we get it, you're debt free and can live an extravagant life. But still, for someone reason, something about the AirPods bothers you so much you have to rant on forever about them.

Hey, they're not for everyone. If they don't fit well then they don't fit well. Move on.

6. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

This is true. The AirPods case has a pairing button on the back. I’m glad they put that in. When they first unvelled the AirPods, I was very concerned that they might make AirPods only work with Apple devices. Fortunately, the were practical enough to add a pairing button so you’re not stuck using them with only Apple devices.

7. LordVic macrumors 68040

I think you're right. And at the end of the day, I don't think that anyone dissagres that the concept of Wireless over Wired is amazing and what we all want.

We're just not there yet, because of the drawbacks of current technology. I don't begrudge anyone company for trying. we're getting close where many uses it really is nicer.

but, they still haven't made the technology quite good enough to replace all use cases just yet. there are still those times, where wired, is just going to be better.

8. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I think everyone who wants in the Apple ecosystem is already there. There is no room for growth, there is such a thing as market saturation.

That is unless the increase the pie size, and people from the 3rd world start joining the digital age

9. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

Isn't that precisely what Apple is doing by selling more iPhones and expanding the Apple ecosystem around the iPhone to make it a more integral aspect of its users' lives? And with more iPhones sold, you are in a better position to sell more apps, services and accessories.

Makes more sense to me than focusing on Macs, if we really want to go there.

10. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

Somebody's level of self-importance is strong.

11. Tech198 macrumors G3

Well then thank goodness they are under priced because after the they'd be more extensive here in Australia, or other countries.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 601

Shanghaichica

You don't need an iPhone to use the airpods or even an Apple device. They just loose the benefits of the W1 chip pairing/ features and can be paired in the traditional way with non Apple devices.

13. admob71 Suspended

admob71

So true, the logic of this can simply not be argued with.....

14. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

Reminds me of the CEO of when he said "Everything is worth what people are ready to pay".

For those of you who don't know, Luxottica is nearly a monopoly in the eyewear space. They own most of the luxury brands (i.e. Ray-Ban & Oakley) and also a number eyewear outlets, like Target Optical, Pearle Vision, LensCrafters, and Sears Optical.

And that's pretty much where Apple is. Apple is the only company who makes Macs and iPhones, so if you want one, you have to go through Apple.

15. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

Yeah i mean if you don't have an apple watch you just change songs like you do now if you don't use siri

16. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Just now seeing this post... for a second, I thought I was the only one laughing.

17. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

I bought mine as I bicycle to work, they were terrible until a firmware update fixed them, I was so close to returning them. Sadly however I went over a bump the other day and they both fell out of my ears and got run over by a car.

So that's annoying, one still works but they're mangled.. I thought about replacing them but no one has them in stock.. so I guess I'm just buy the Sony MDR1000X's I wanted since you can turn off ANC.

18. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

But dork is cool, sexy even...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    I'm sure biking with those is going to be so comfortable.

What bugs me is that the Airpods aren't 'life proof'. I was going to use them for working out, but my ears sweat a lot. That could get expensive. But they are pretty amazing, none the less...

19. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

For me they just keep coming out, I can't jump with them or wear a hoodie or have anything near my ears. I have longish hair and that causes them to fall out too.

The sound quality was rather meh though, so I'm probably just gonna spend a few hundred on proper headphones.

20. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 6502a

Suckfest 9001

you just love to brag, dont you

21. admob71 Suspended

admob71

Modesty doesn't really exist in your life now does it fella..?

Ps, I Bought a bugatti last week. It's not bad, but not as good as my Lambo.. see how easy it is to spew all sorts of tales......

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The "short supply" is mere marketing brilliance. If it's a manufacturing issue prices causing the short supply the price could easily be jacked up.

Think about zero shelf live for an item is the dream of any reseller.

I have a pair, for $159 they sound like crap and the fit is horrible. The fit surely plays into the sound quality. IMO they are about $140 overpriced. However if they fit well in your ear then I am sure your opinion in fit and sound quality will definitely differ.
    with that said, the integration with the iPhone is flawless, the charging case is excellent.

23. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Well, looks like you've drawn your line in the sand with Macs, eh? :rolleyes:

24. Defthand macrumors regular

Yes it is. It's a trait that Apple's earliest disciples shared with Apple's maverick CEO. If not for his demanding tastes and standards—and customers who understood it—the Apple brand would be indistinguishable from the Windows computers that it competed with. The indifferent masses, like yourself, bought what was popular—as they continue to today. The only difference is that Apple is the popular kid on the block today.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Somebody's irrational sense of superiority is being fanned by buying certain things.