AirPods and Apple Watch Called 'Underpriced' to Bring New Users Into Apple Ecosystem

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. oldtime macrumors regular

AirPods are not underpriced for what they are. The more expensive alternatives are all more expensive for legitimate reasons. It's like saying Honda is underpricing the Accord b/c it costs less than a Benz.

2. wigby macrumors 65816

I've owned many Bluetooth headsets that allowed volume adjustment directly. I can think of more cases where it's less convenient to change volume on device than directly on the phone. I've never found the volume controls to be very good on any small Bluetooth devices. And none of them could ever standardize so sometimes you have to hold the button down to change volume and sometimes you have to tap it. If you guess wrong it jumps to the next track and you end up pulling out the phone anyway. I'm sure some of this experience went into Apple's AirPods design. That being said, I don't really like Siri implementation in AirPods now but I don't generally like Siri (nor Alexa or Google Now) for anything until they make these AI assistants truly useful.

But my real question is why the need to adjust volume in the first place? I always keep my AirPods at maximum volume which still allows me to hear almost everything around me. That's the way they were designed and a result of the in ear fit they have. Why not always keep volume maximum?

3. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

More than a little late to this party, but I agree, Apple products are under-priced. This is in much the same manner as I am vastly under-paid, so the universe balances out.

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The AirPods works with any bluetooth enabled phones/computers.

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I think you might have just stumbled on why Apple can offer them at a lower cost...you can't find any. How generous of them.

6. 6foot5foot, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

6foot5foot Suspended

"Underpriced"? How about VASTYLY over-rated!

Funny - my (supposedly) "obsolete" BlackBerry Classic, which I bought BRAND NEW FOR £30, last week, from eBay, supports "AptX" codec, and yet these "underpriced" AirPods DON'T? iPhone doesn't support "AptX" codec either, despite Apple's "courage" in removing a port for which the equivalent bluetooth quality could be MUCH better.

By the way, I own iPhone, Moto G3, Lumias and BlackBerry handsets; this is nothing to do with the platform OR OS, before anyone shoots off on that predictable tangent.

The power of marketing, and exploiting your loyal lemmings, eh!

Oooh-kayyyyyy... :confused:
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2017 ---
    Yep, and desirability, ubiquity, style and utility of the alternatives, proportionally lower, also.

7. sos47 macrumors member

sos47

Compare AW1 with Garmin Vivoactive HR which is $269.
    Same stupid rectangular housing.
    Vivoactive HR is both, cheaper and better (because of battery and gps, swim and connection ant+)

Comparing AW1 with Fenix 5 is a joke.
    You may compare Apple Watch 3 or 4 with a Fenix in a couple of years ...

8. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

So, in other words, you're allowed to give your opinion, but when I give mine you attack me? OK, that's FAIR. :rolleyes:

That's it. Make crap up and distort what I say. :rolleyes:

It's too bad you didn't learn to speak English correctly on YouTube. :rolleyes:

Debating itself doesn't give you command of the English language. The egg must come before the chicken. I'm surprised you haven't "learnt" that there. :D

I think people like you are the reason Apple keeps putting out garbage instead of quality products utilizing world standards instead of profiteering propriety methods.

I'm sure you would think that. :rolleyes:

No, I think it far more likely that most Apple fanatics have not educated themselves in other products because they refuse to consider them or even look at them. I think that is about 10x more likely based on the fanatical supportive posts found on here every day by people that just love Apple and their products and scream and rant at people that try open their minds to the fact there are more companies out there than just Apple, many of which offer superior products at lower prices. It is unfathomable to such people that some of us might buy some Apple products but find other products by Apple to be garbage.

Yes, that sounds like every Apple fanatic on here. That is why the word "fanatic" is used. Your argument has no merit precisely because I am not a fanatic of any given company or product while people like yourself seem to be treading in that general direction.

You repeat yourself and make yourself sound even more fanatical with every word coming out of your fingers. It seems to me that you can't stand the fact that this product is junk and that you wasted your money on it now knowing there are vastly better products out there for a fraction of the price and so you lash out at the messenger instead of the company that ripped you off. ;)

The problem with that statement is that we both know you have already told me the problem here is me and I've been told by fanatics that they try very hard to get non-fanatics who critique (or in their words complain) about Apple products to leave these forums so they can live in their fantasy world of Apple Land and Steve Jobs (and perhaps now Tim Cook) worship. If the fanatics on here respected other opinions and points of view we wouldn't be talking now as I gave my opinion and I was then attacked by the fanatical types for giving that opinion.

Steve Jobs has repeatedly said that he wanted to empower people to do great things with technology. Stock buybacks, dividends and cutting Apple store training to mere videos probably don't fall into that category. I personally doubt an Apple watch is going to empower anyone either. It has neither the form (luxury) of a REAL watch or the function of even an iPhone, leaving it as an UGLY looking non-functioning TURD at the expense of REAL technology products like the Airport or an update to the Mac Pro.

9. Defthand macrumors 6502

Thank you for your literal interpretation. I’m quite aware of the history and used the word in the same manner as every admirer, reporter and biographer has. He was the founder and CEO; therefore, he’s credited with enabling or “creating” their reality. I’ll hone my vocabulary while you hone your reading comprehension...

10. admob71 Suspended

admob71

My reading comprehension is fine... when some quotes "when jobs created those certain things" after talking about certain products there is literally only one thing that was implied and meant. Does the CEO of ford create the new mustang? Heck no, so can I suggest that you go away and read a little tech history. Oh and the next time you are called out, maybe Consider replying with a little more dignity..

11. 6foot5foot Suspended

Ah look, here we see a fine example of the lesser spotted Captain multi-quote. Sheesh, don't you have anything AT ALL better to do?

12. 1000 macrumors member

It's one thing to "under-price" the Apple Watch, but when you purposefully withhold essential/core features such as waterproofing in favour of selling the "2nd generation" barely 12 months after the first, you are asking your core customers to pay for the same thing twice. So how's this under-pricing ?

And I'm sorry, I wouldn't pay a CENT over $99 AUD for the wireless buds.

13. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

I thought you made interesting points up until this paragraph. This statement is just silly, assuming you were serious.

14. Defthand macrumors 6502

I'm sorry. The moderator has asked me not to discuss the nuances of semantics with you.

Incidentally, your Ford Mustang analogy is ironic. Lee Iacocca was credited with designing the Mustang. He was made president of Ford and later became CEO of Chrysler. So...

15. admob71 Suspended

admob71

I accept your apology. Alls well in the world again.

16. wigby macrumors 65816

Serious. I don't turn down the volume intentionally. I turn it on to listen to content or off to listen to things other than the content and highest volume has never been too loud for me. Why is that so silly?

17. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I haven't wanted to exercise with them because my ears sweat, like a lot. Not a good thing since they aren't 'waterproof'. I don't want to have to replace them so soon because they flood...

But, yeah, I can see where some may have issues with them. I have been surprised at the number of people that LOATH the standard ear pods. I personally LOVE them. Like A LOT! So the Airpods fit really well for me. For once, a wireless set of 'useable' headphones/earbuds actually fits, and the audio is really good, so far.

I was bummed that the much touted Beats Wireless didn't fit.

18. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Yes and Mac Pro's, MacBook Pro's are also underpriced, because prices get raised by the day.
    People need to realize they pay for the Apple logo, not the equipment, and that brand gets more valuable every day.
    And this consulblatant himself seems underpriced, because with a Vision is so Worldly you could make everything more expensive, so that everybody would earn more, and can pay more.
    I would advise him as the new Yellen. Make America great again.
    Start with giving him a donut.