Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday was Cyber Monday, an annual shopping event in the United States, United Kingdom, and many other countries that's part of the holiday shopping season and offers users notable discounts on a vast array of consumer products. Last night, Adobe released its online shopping data for this year's Cyber Monday, stating that November 27, 2017 is projected to set a new record and become the "largest online sales day in history" with a total of $6.59 billion spent by the day's end.

Compared to 2016, Cyber Monday 2017 saw a 16.8 percent year-over-year increase in sales, and it fared better in revenue compared to last week's big shopping days: Black Friday 2017 brought in $5.03 billion and Thanksgiving Day brought in $2.87 billion. Adobe's statistics leveraged Adobe Sensei and Adobe Analytics to analyze data from one trillion visits to over 4,500 retail sites and 55 million SKUs. Of all these data points, Apple and its products were found at the top of a few lists.

cyber-monday-best-sellers.jpg

The AirPods were listed as overall top sellers yesterday, while iPads were included in the best-selling electronics category, alongside AirPods again, Google Chromecast, Samsung Tablets, Nintendo Switch, and more. In terms of discounts, Walmart was one of very few retailers with a brief sale on AirPods yesterday, marking the $159.00 earphones down by $15. Numerous retailers had sales on a variety of iPads, including the 9.7-inch iPad and 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Shoppers on mobile helped set a new record with 47.4 percent of visits coming from mobile devices (39.9 percent on smartphones and 7.6 percent on tablets). Revenue earned from users shopping on mobile grew 39.2 percent year-over-year and reached a new all-time high of $1.59 billion. Of all mobile devices used to shop on Cyber Monday this year, iOS was in the lead with an average order value of $123, while Android was at $110.
"Shopping and buying on smartphones is becoming the new norm and can be attributed to continued optimizations in the retail experience on mobile devices and platforms," said Mickey Mericle, vice president, Marketing and Customer Insights at Adobe.

"Consumers are also becoming more savvy and efficient online shoppers. People increasingly know where to find the best deals and what they want to purchase, which results in less price matching behavior typically done on desktops. Millennials were likely another reason for the dramatic growth in mobile, with 75 percent expecting to shop via their smartphone."
The biggest discounts were for TVs (21.1 percent off of the normal price on average), toys (18.8 percent), and computers (14.7 percent). In total, the 2017 holiday shopping season so far (marked as beginning on November 1) has seen a total of $50 billion in online revenue, jumping up 16.8 percent from 2016. According to Adobe, "this will be the first-ever holiday season to break $100 billion in online sales."

Article Link: AirPods and iPad Listed as Top Selling Electronics During This Year's Record-Setting Cyber Monday

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm surprised the iPad is far up the list this year, as all the buzz seems to be around the Switch and TVs. I'm thrilled for Nintendo as it's a great device.

They look ridicolous. Easy to lose. Fall off from ears. Overpriced. Nobody will buy them.

(The Internet, 2016)

It's stupid. Just a big iPhone. Apple is doomed. This is a failure. It can't even make calls.

(The Internet, 2010)

rohanparekh

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2016
Its 2050....and there are still people saying "you can lose one easily"

Last edited:

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
They look ridiculous. Easy to lose. Fall off from ears. Overpriced. Nobody will buy them.

(The Internet, 2016)

I love the "they look ridiculous" posts. They look EXACTLY like the earphones that hundreds of millions of us already have, minus the wire. So if they had a wire coming out of the bottom, they would be perfectly fine?

Hilarious. People are so salty. Like them or not, the AirPods are the first wireless earphones that don't suck. And yes, Bluetooth earphones with a wire between each earphone is a different (but very similar) product category. The AirPods are a huge home run, and deservedly so. If they fit your ears, they are incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Why people? Ok the iPads I can understand getting on CM. The Airpods weren't even on sale anywhere I saw. You could have gotten them 6 months ago for the same price. The damn Airpods and Beats acquisition ARE THE REAL REASON YOU HAVE NO HEADPHONE JACK IN AN IPHONE. They figured a way for the sheep to have to buy more of their products and still think they were brilliant as they laugh in your face and head to the bank.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not surprising at all. Look at the pricing. For under $250 you can get Christmas out of the way. When people are asking for phones and TVs on the regular these days, that kind of money is a bargain.

I don’t think I’ll ever have a pair of air pods so long as they’re an all plastic bud. No, they don’t stay in my ears on a run, and that’s the only time I’ll ever use them.
[doublepost=1511885453][/doublepost]
Why people? Ok the iPads I can understand getting on CM. The Airpods weren't even on sale anywhere I saw. You could have gotten them 6 months ago for the same price.
See above.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Why people? Ok the iPads I can understand getting on CM. The Airpods weren't even on sale anywhere I saw. You could have gotten them 6 months ago for the same price. The damn Airpods and Beats acquisition ARE THE REAL REASON YOU HAVE NO HEADPHONE JACK IN AN IPHONE. They figured a way for the sheep to have to buy more of their products and still think they were brilliant as they laugh in your face and head to the bank.

I feel bad that you have to listen to music with a headphone amp far away in your device connected only by a 3 m length of measly wire. Its like watching 480i tv.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
They look ridiculous. Easy to lose. Fall off from ears. Overpriced. Nobody will buy them.

(The Internet, 2016)

It is so classic. Happen almost every time a new Apple product is announced. Goes to show how naive people are and how quickly they love to judge things they don’t have.

zapm

macrumors member
May 16, 2017

The headphone port is not coming back. No reason to keep living in the past. Just move on already.

LuckyBubba

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Love my AirPods and never going back to a cord.

Tip: if the first pair has a sound quality issue, return and try a new pair.

Granted, some folks enjoy tinkering and in which case, keep the pair with poor sound quality and figure out which steps are required to get it right. ;)

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
A wired headphone is like watching standard definition tv? Come now.

lol ok , AirPods have built in amps that rival some stand alone boutique external amps, all without having to drive a long high end robbing capacitive cable. The difference IS remarkable , at least to the head fi types.

My advice: Invest a little more than $20 in headphones next time, i think the inane pop music you probably listen to deserves it no ?

Reactions: saba01

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Is the x phone third, fourth, fifth, tenth ... on the list???

Didn't everyone think this would be the hot item. I mean, it is available.?.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It is so classic. Happen almost every time a new Apple product is announced. Goes to show how naive people are and how quickly they love to judge things they don’t have.
I think projecting the success of a product in your own needs is definitely naive. Voicing your opinion bout a product based on your needs is not. I never expected the things to be a failure. They do the trick for a lot of people. The success of Beats has proven that you can sell a premium headset without the premium sound. That’s not so much of a criticism as an observation; people are willing to pay hundreds for a pair of cans where other manufacturers previously thought that price tag demanded vastly superior sound.

For me, they’re all the things mentioned. They do fall out easily. I don’t like the look of them (though I can get
Over that immediately if the product is great), and I guess they are more easily lost than a wired thing but that’s not so much a concern for me.

FWIW I was the same way with Apple Watch. Apple finally made something I felt was worth the money. But it took people buying the first two generations to make it worth it for Apple to continue evolving the product into something I’d actually want.

Reactions: Tec972

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I'm surprised the iPad is far up the list this year, as all the buzz seems to be around the Switch and TVs. I'm thrilled for Nintendo as it's a great device.

It's stupid. Just a big iPhone. Apple is doomed. This is a failure. It can't even make calls.

(The Internet, 2010)

Many retailers were offering the latest non pro iPad for around $250. Heck of a price.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007

I love when people use "sheep" in their posts, because it lets me know who I can immediately ignore.

And weird, when I purchased the AirPods I thought I was buying a product I really liked at a price I deemed fair. I had no idea I was a mindless robot! By the way, I don't miss my headphone jack. At all.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
lol ok , AirPods have built in amps that rival some stand alone boutique external amps, all without having to drive a long high end robbing capacitive cable. The difference IS remarkable , at least to the head fi types.

My advice: Invest a little more than $20 in headphones next time, i think the inane pop music you probably listen to deserves it no ?
Your comparison was wired headphones to standard definition tv. You mentioned nothing about also limiting yourself to $20 headphones. I was simply calling you on the fact that those two things don’t go hand in hand.

Enjoy your headphones. I’m not about to presume what other products you use. If it helps, I don’t think I’ve ever used a $20 pair of buds unless I was stuck with nothing better. Until recently I had a drawer full of the earbuds packaged in with my phone upgrades sitting unopened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.