Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OnLeaks' Steve Hemmerstoffer today tweeted that the AirPods wireless charging case will be ready to launch sometime soon, but the actual AirPods 2 with "Hey, Siri" funtionality may be delayed to the fall.

AirPods-2.0.jpg
OnLeaks itself casts some doubt on this rumor, by stating up front that the news was gained from a "new and yet unconfirmed," but seemingly reliable source. Hemmerstoffer appears to be most certain about the wireless charging case launching soon and being shipped with the first-generation AirPods.

Some #AirPods2 details I got from a new and yet unconfirmed but seemingly reliable source. Thus, I can't vouch these at 100%...- New wireless charging #AirPods Case to be launched soon BUT shipped with current AirPods- Brand new AirPods + new color(s) likely unveiled this fall pic.twitter.com/eNYom3Xys6 - Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks) February 12, 2019
Most rumors about AirPods 2 have pointed toward an early 2019 launch for the new wireless earphones, so definitely take this new report with a grain of salt. Just this morning, a sketchy report from Greek tech news site iphonehellas.gr claimed the new iPads, AirPods 2, and AirPower are all set to launch on March 29. Yesterday, DigiTimes reiterated previous rumors that stated Apple will release AirPods 2 in the first half of the year.

When they do launch, OnLeaks says the AirPods 2 will come in new colors, and yesterday rumor site MySmartPrice claimed that the new headphones will come in black and white. Beyond AirPods 2 and their new "Hey, Siri" functionality, Apple is believed to already be working on the third-generation AirPods, which are rumored to have some form of water resistance.

Hemmerstoffer and OnLeaks have a previous track record of sourcing information from Apple's supply chain, as well as the supply chains of other smartphone manufacturers. For example, Hemmerstoffer shared renders of the 2018 iPad Pro with accurate depictions of the tablet's redesign one month before the device was revealed by Apple.

Article Link: Wireless AirPods Charging Case Expected Soon, but AirPods 2 May Not Launch Until Fall

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Last edited:

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
This rumor certainly sounds more Apple-like. Release the charging case now so current Airpod owners buy it up and hold the Airpods 2 for a few months to not cannibalize charging case sales.

Sounds about right. It’d also make a lot more sense if they updated them alongside the iPhones.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'd prefer the other way around, but it makes more sense to launch AirPower first and since AirPods are still selling like hotcakes there is no rush for version 2.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
AirPods 2 would be nice, but don't need them or the wireless case. I guess the new model will be more expensive, maybe coming with a wireless case standard? And AirPods 1 sold at a discount?

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I overheard my neighbor who was talking to her nephew’s best friend’s teacher, and he said that the AirPod 2’s are absolutely being released Feb. 29!

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
Sketchy rumor?
What’s worst then a rumor? A sketchy rumor. Lol.
[doublepost=1549979816][/doublepost]
I overheard my neighbor who was talking to her nephew’s best friend’s teacher, and he said that the AirPod 2’s are absolutely being released Feb. 29!
Yea well I heard a confirmed rumor of a rumor that the AirPods 2 were scheduled to be released before the AirPods 3.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Sounds quite likely, tbh. Updated models probably to be introduced alongside new iPhones in autumn.

Does onleaks do Mac rumours?

iMac rumours are thin on the ground.

Please could a rumour-monger devote some attention to iMac!

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Seems like the older rumours may be accurate.

AirPods 1.5 with Hey Siri feature and wireless charging case as only new features - early 2019
Airpods 2.0 with waterproofing and health monitoring features - late 2019/early 2020

Somehow these rumours seem to have merged so that the Airpods originally aimed at late 2018/early 2019 became known as Airpods 2 and people assumed they were the full on second generation rather than just the tweaked 1.5s.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
AirPods to be released with Air Power apparently.
More likely Apple’s been sitting on the AirPods charging case, waiting for AirPower to be ready.

Neither are related to Airpods 2, which will release on their own schedule. Hopefully they’ll be easier to manufacture than the original model, which launched in short supply and has been constrained since.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
It's amazing how so many people think my tws-i7 earbuds are AirPods.
Sure there's a difference in quality between an $169 AirPods and $16 earbuds but when you loose one there's a lot less agony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.