Wireless AirPods Charging Case Expected Soon, but AirPods 2 May Not Launch Until Fall

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:27 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

OnLeaks' Steve Hemmerstoffer today tweeted that the AirPods wireless charging case will be ready to launch sometime soon, but the actual AirPods 2 with "Hey, Siri" funtionality may be delayed to the fall.

[​IMG]
    OnLeaks itself casts some doubt on this rumor, by stating up front that the news was gained from a "new and yet unconfirmed," but seemingly reliable source. Hemmerstoffer appears to be most certain about the wireless charging case launching soon and being shipped with the first-generation AirPods.

Most rumors about AirPods 2 have pointed toward an early 2019 launch for the new wireless earphones, so definitely take this new report with a grain of salt. Just this morning, a sketchy report from Greek tech news site iphonehellas.gr claimed the new iPads, AirPods 2, and AirPower are all set to launch on March 29. Yesterday, DigiTimes reiterated previous rumors that stated Apple will release AirPods 2 in the first half of the year.

When they do launch, OnLeaks says the AirPods 2 will come in new colors, and yesterday rumor site MySmartPrice claimed that the new headphones will come in black and white. Beyond AirPods 2 and their new "Hey, Siri" functionality, Apple is believed to already be working on the third-generation AirPods, which are rumored to have some form of water resistance.

Hemmerstoffer and OnLeaks have a previous track record of sourcing information from Apple's supply chain, as well as the supply chains of other smartphone manufacturers. For example, Hemmerstoffer shared renders of the 2018 iPad Pro with accurate depictions of the tablet's redesign one month before the device was revealed by Apple.

Article Link: Wireless AirPods Charging Case Expected Soon, but AirPods 2 May Not Launch Until Fall

2. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Wait wait wait I just literally read an article on here that said “AirPods 2 March 29th?”

And now a new article saying “Fall”.

Lmaooo damn... What is it?!

3. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

4. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

This rumor certainly sounds more Apple-like. Release the charging case now so current Airpod owners buy it up and hold the Airpods 2 for a few months to not cannibalize charging case sales.

5. AngerDanger, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 6:16 AM

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Man, I can already imagine the wide array of color option Apple provides us with! :)

options!.gif

6. Bdub12 macrumors regular

And I get to wait another 6 months to buy AirPods. Sigh.

7. max.ine macrumors regular

max.ine

Sounds about right. It’d also make a lot more sense if they updated them alongside the iPhones.

8. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

9. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

I’m sure people get tired of waiting now

10. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'd prefer the other way around, but it makes more sense to launch AirPower first and since AirPods are still selling like hotcakes there is no rush for version 2.

11. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

AirPods 2 would be nice, but don't need them or the wireless case. I guess the new model will be more expensive, maybe coming with a wireless case standard? And AirPods 1 sold at a discount?

12. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Exactly what I was thinking.

13. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

I overheard my neighbor who was talking to her nephew’s best friend’s teacher, and he said that the AirPod 2’s are absolutely being released Feb. 29!

14. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

What’s worst then a rumor? A sketchy rumor. Lol.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:56 AM ---
    Yea well I heard a confirmed rumor of a rumor that the AirPods 2 were scheduled to be released before the AirPods 3.

15. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Sounds quite likely, tbh. Updated models probably to be introduced alongside new iPhones in autumn.

Does onleaks do Mac rumours?

iMac rumours are thin on the ground.

Please could a rumour-monger devote some attention to iMac!

16. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Seems like the older rumours may be accurate.

AirPods 1.5 with Hey Siri feature and wireless charging case as only new features - early 2019
    Airpods 2.0 with waterproofing and health monitoring features - late 2019/early 2020

Somehow these rumours seem to have merged so that the Airpods originally aimed at late 2018/early 2019 became known as Airpods 2 and people assumed they were the full on second generation rather than just the tweaked 1.5s.

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If I make a guess will you make an article for me too? :)

18. Tzuten macrumors 6502

If its anything like the first AirPods, you'll be lucky to get them by 2020.

19. Jamers99 macrumors member

Jamers99

AirPods to be released with Air Power apparently.

20. calstanford macrumors regular

Yea f that s. For two years they don't update and then they bring out two in a year?

21. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Wireless charging case: $99
    AirPods 2: $259

Expect more stealing.

22. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

More likely Apple’s been sitting on the AirPods charging case, waiting for AirPower to be ready.

Neither are related to Airpods 2, which will release on their own schedule. Hopefully they’ll be easier to manufacture than the original model, which launched in short supply and has been constrained since.

23. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

It's amazing how so many people think my tws-i7 earbuds are AirPods.
    Sure there's a difference in quality between an $169 AirPods and $16 earbuds but when you loose one there's a lot less agony.

24. michael31986 macrumors 68040

What's the point. Just release new version k. September.