AirPods left right different battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Poder, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Poder macrumors newbie

Hello,

After listening for few hours from a fully charged set of AirPods, without putting them back in the charging case, I have different battery levels:
    Left is at 23%,
    Right at 10%.
    (checked when putting back one AirPod in its charging case).

Do you experience a similar different battery drain left vs right ?

Thanks a lot,

Nice day to All.

2. CharlesShaw, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Yes. I wonder if it's because they have different distances from the source antenna, depending on position? At the moment, I'm using mine while sitting directly in front of my rMBP and the Left one is draining a tiny bit faster.

Update: half a lazy day later, they discharged at an identical rate. Just music from MacBook or AppleTV watching, no calls or Siri. I'll let them run empty today, per teidon's suggestion, to calibrate the estimate better.

Update: another thought is that it's just how batteries act. How often do you buy two rechargeable batteries, connect them to a meter and compare progress?

3. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

Try using the batteries completely empty. The given battery level is always an estimation. Completely discharging the battery and then fully charging it should calibrate the battery level indicator so that the estimation is more accurate in the future.

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Are you using them on phone calls? The mic is only used on one side at a time, so that could explain the difference. If you're just listening...no idea.

5. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Wouldn't it make sense that they discharge at different rates? Just thinking from a music stand point, I know that with stereo sound, different volumes, instruments, vocals are coming out of each headphone to create that "all around you" sound. Could it be that different sounds need different levels of power to produce, thus putting a bigger battery need on one side vs the other?

Take my comment with a grain of salt, since I am not an expert on the issue. But at least in my head that's why I've suspected the batteries drain differently.

6. Poder thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes I was listening only to music, no call or phone uses.

The position of the left - right vs the emission antenna and / or the different "signals" from a stereo music standpoint sound good as for a possible explanation.

Happy Christmas to All !

7. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I've also noticed once and awhile the charge is different when starting. If I have the widget up when I open the case it shows 100% for the case and the airpods together. However sometime when I take one out one will be 2-5% lower then the other. I just wish they would show individual battery levels all the time.

8. kis macrumors 65816

That's relatively easy to explain: only one of them is connected to the phone via Bluetooth (class 1, which transmit at a max of 100mw -> massive power drain). So audio goes from the phone to one of the Airpods and is then transmitted to the other one via some lower power near field transmission mechanism.

9. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

Did you not use Siri at all?

I'm thinking by double tapping on one side only/mostly (I mainly tap my right one) will drain that Airpod more than the other?