Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The ear cushions for AirPods Max attach magnetically and replacement cushions are available on the Apple Store in a variety of colors.

replacement-airpods-max-cushion-store.jpg

A pair of replacement cushions retails for $69. Apple revealed a first look at the magnetically-attachable ear cushions in its introduction video shared earlier today:

While Apple has not advertised the ability to interchange ear cushions as a customization feature, it seems that users will be able to choose whatever color they like for the replacement cushions.

The replacement ear cushions are available in Silver, Black, Green, Sky Blue, and Red. Curiously, the ear cushions for the Pink AirPods Max are marked as Red cushions, while all of the other cushions match the colors of the AirPods Max exactly.

The item is currently unavailable on the Apple Store, but will likely be released soon.

Article Link: AirPods Max Ear Cushions Attach Magnetically, Replacement Cushions 'Coming Soon' for $69

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
Not bad at all. You change the cushion and battery. It will cost you $700 including the headphone and it’s the same price as you buy $350 headphone twice.
For comfort and seal I’ll replace cushion yearly though.

nattK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
With Apple selling removable cushions, I'm guessing a $350 variant of the AirPods Max is no longer coming? Since rumors originally pointed towards a $350 sport variant with regular mesh cushions and a $500-ish variant with leather cushions. Now Apple can just introduce higher-priced replacement cushions made out of leather instead instead of a new model

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I have some Denons I really like where the ear pads are crumbling. I wish they had this option. But would be unlikely after 12 years anyway.

Reactions: NMBob

joiwomcow

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2017
Hoping that other headphone makers (Bose, Sony) follow suite. For my QCs I've needed to replace the cushions every 2 years (I wear them all day while working). Replacing Bose earpads is a faff. Easily replaceable earpads are a huge win.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Its good that this part is replaceable since they could get dirty over time with no idea how easy they are to clean. But what about the top part? Any part of a product that can easily tear needs to be replaceable. Where is the $150 charging stand for this? Maybe if this takes off they can make a much smaller version for half the price. It would look like the old walkman headphones with the foam ear pieces, but wireless and the price of a stereo system.

Drfter

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2017
Did some googling seems like these ear cups use polyester, shame. Once I walked into a high end store and asked if something was polyester, since I am allergic, and they said we don't use any synthetic materials. If we are to believe apple is high end it's a bit disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.