Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
Guess a outboard DAC connected to computers USB port and offering a analog headphone amp should work or something similar. Also the Apple TV 4K using HDMI to a AVR or like should work.
Which is fine since I have a bunch of DACs/amps and higher end headphones lying around, but I'm sure there were people expecting at least the AirPods Max and the original HomePod to support it. Ahh well.

Reactions: decypher44

ralphthemagi

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
The Verge explains what the core issue is. When hooked up via cable it still has to redigitize the data to play it unlike traditional analog headphones.

Pretty wild you have to pick between lossless or spatial audio though.
Seems to suggest it works somewhat though, just at 24-bit / 48Hz. Maybe they'll just release a new cable with an ADC that uses a higher sampling rate.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Facepalm. At least it gets spatial audio, which is quite nice.

I get the wireless limitation, but wired?! I suppose you can do it with a DAC to the current $40 wire.
No. You cannot. 3.5mm + lossless = nope. You people need to get learned, or bow out of the lossless audio discussion.

Reactions: citysnaps

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Which is fine since I have a bunch of DACs/amps and higher end headphones lying around, but I'm sure there were people expecting at least the AirPods Max and the original HomePod to support it. Ahh well.

I'm pretty sure many people that bought Airpods Max had no idea what lossless was until they learned that it wasn't going to be supported.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
So Apple Music for iOS will support Lossless music. How is Apple expecting everyone to do that, especially when separated from their $10K stack of home audio equipment?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
In other words:

Exactly the same as lossless audio was yesterday.

Just because Apple has finally gotten around to offering Apple Music in lossless format doesn't suddenly mean it is possible to listen to it via lossy devices.
It’s funny how people suddenly expect this. It’s like people expecting their DVD players to suddenly play Blu-ray.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Let me know if you find other wireless headsets with lossless support over Bluetooth.
LDAC and aptx HD are not lossless, mind you.
*cough, cough*

When the codec is set to 16 bits/44.1kHz at 909 kbps (or 16 bits/48kHz at 990 kbps) LDAC can stream lossless audio that is identical in quality to (or slightly higher than) Audio CD or standard resolution uncompressed audio.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
It's not clear if the article is talking about the high-res lossless or the lossless songs.
Somewhere else, I read that most Apple's earpieces are compatible with the latter.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Let me know if there’s a lossless codec supported over bluetooth, on any platform.
This is not an Apple issue, it’s a tech issue. The tech is not there to begin with.
The issue in this article isn’t about Bluetooth or any wireless tech. It’s about using a hardwire between the source and the airpods max, and still not being able to get lossless audio.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
You will need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in order to go from (up to) 24 bit / 192 Khz digital audio to Analog. There is no DAC built into the headphones. They are analog when used via wire. So it's just not possible to do. DAC (a good one) can cost from $100 to $10's of thousands (or more). So yeah. Just get a dongle DAC if you really want to get the full high res audio out of your iPhone/iPad/etc. If you don't already have one for other streaming sources such as Tidal or Qobuz. Then you most likely were not into this anyway. CD quality (Loss Less) is good enough for most anyone. Still a touch higher Q than what BT can handle anyway. But, wired you will get that from your iOS or Mac OS device just fine.

This is still awesome that they are giving this to existing customers no extra charge. I can drop tidal at some point if I wanted to now!! :)

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Apple didn’t advertise APM supporting direct digital lightning to lightning audio anyway. Why do you have that sudden expectation out of nowhere?
Fair enough. Still seems silly for a pair of $549 headphones.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
2021 and Lossless audio can’t be played over such expensive headphones, can’t be played by HomePod Mini…let’s see what other type of excuse Apple will use to squeeze more money out of us over decades old technology.
Please share when you find other Bluetooth headphone supporting lossless.

neff89

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2021
I understand and accept that. But having lossless not work over a wired Lightening connection sounds like a slap in the face to those that bought a pair of APM.
That’s exactly why I did not buy APM in the first place. But also this is not any new information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.