Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
What a frustrating decision by Apple if this is true. I'm assuming they mean we can only play standard quality audio in those cases.

I've been a Tidal HD, and now Amazon Music HD, subscriber for over 5 years. I have this in addition to Apple Music because I prefer managing a music library with Apple Music.

Have always been aware that Bluetooth is applying it's own compression to the audio, and can't play the full quality --and yet I still hear a great increase in audio quality listening to Amazon Music HD vs Apple Music -- whether in my car or on my AirPod Pro's

Who cares if we are losing quality?? Pump it through that compression, let us make the decision ourselves what quality to play back. Seems like a cheap ploy to sell us more of their exorbitantly priced headphones.
That’s exactly what’s going to happen... and that’s not lossless audio. It’s not like your lossless music won’t play

Spainask27

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
The APM owners knew but we bought, but it’s surprising that Apple didn’t find a way to make them compatible wired with this new service. I mean, the are not even 6 months old.

Reactions: R88D

seme332

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
I wonder if you’ll be able to listen to lossless and/or high-res lossless through an Apple TV 4K (Pre 2021) connected to a Hi-Fi Receiver via HDMI?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
What? Just Use the optional 3.5mm jack to lightning cable for your APM. The AirPods Max only works in wired mode with that cable anyway. When the source is analog, everything works.
Apple just confirmed with 9to5mac that even with the Lightening-to-3.5mm adapter, lossless will not work. At least not currently.

"But what about AirPods Max? Well, we asked Apple about it too since users can plug in a Lightning cable with a 3.5mm connector to use it wired. Unfortunately, Apple also told us that “AirPods Max currently does not support digital audio formats in wired mode.” For AirPods owners, the only Apple Music supported feature will be Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos."

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
How is it silly? There are headphones that cost thousands of dollars, but are not even Bluetooth capable. The price is irrelevant.
But the majority of high priced headphones/earphones let you connect/adapt with mmcx. I stick with the airpods pro just for phone calls or when I want to listen to something while using the apple watch for example, but for everything else I use a different brand, that's why the airpods max never got me because it was only meant for the apple ecosystem and different brands will include everything required and not upsell you on accessories at the very least.

I had a lightning accessory that had built in DAC but Apple put a stop to it with an update years ago that flagged it as a 3rd party charger, ever since then they tried to force you to use their wireless devices and customers didn't know any better and it's hard to find HD music services on the APP store as it is, now everyone's seeing how limited they can be and everyone's mad.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
The irony here is that the best Apple hardware to take advantage of lossless is the one that they discontinued. HomePod.

I‘ve been streaming lossless to my HomePods from Deezer for a few weeks now and they truly are great speakers.
Glad Apple Music has upped its game to catch up with Deezer and Qobuz when it comes to audio quality but why would they hobble HomePod’s ability to do lossless when Deezer, Tidal and others have no problem doing so.

Last edited:

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I suspect (or hope) that Apple will release a new lightning to lightning cable with a upgraded DAC that support 24-bit high-res data. Such cable would make it possible to listen to the new high-res lossless music with the AirPod Max.

If not, you'll have to use the Apple lightning to USB adapter and then connect a third party DAC like the DragonFly and then use the Apple analog to digital cable to connect the DAC to the Airpod Max. If you'd like to use your MacBook or PC, you would need a regular USB cable to connect to a external DAC and then the 3.5 mm analog to digital lightning cable plugged in to the Airpods.

I've used my iPads and iPhones with the Apple USB adapter connected to my Hi-Fi setup DAC for years and played both streamed (Tidal) and localy stored high-res music (24-bit 96 kHz) without any problems. Both the lightning port and the usb-c port on current (and old) iPhones and iPads can pass on raw data to an external DAC to process without any bit loss.

My understanding of the AirPlay 2 transport is that it tops out at 24-bit / 48 kHz, but it would mean we can get lossless music wirelessly without any new hardware.

The headphones do not need support for a specific codec (ALAC, FLAC, ACC, MP3 or whatever) as the codec is handled by the DAC (either a usb attached one or a future one built in to the audio cable).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Does that little cable contain a DAC or does the iPhone lightning connector output analog and so the adapter is just connecting a couple pins on the lightning connector to the 3.5mm jack?

My head is spinning with what everyone is saying and whether Lightning is a digital or analog connector?
Lightning is digital. So on that tiny lightning to 3.5mm dongle that Apple used to bundle in with iPhones, there’s a DAC in it. And yes, there’s a DAC in that lightning EarPods as well, in the plug.

The question is, how does the APM work? Sounds like it has its own DAC and ADC, so if you go the wired route, it will convert the analog source to digital first, and then reconverted back to analog so you can hear the audio. So you are going through dual digital to analog conversion. It’s not ideal for the purist, obviously.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Willing to bet that a decent majority of people wouldn't pass the Pepsi Challenge here anyway. Yes it's a welcome upgrade but, honestly, none of this kit is really going to reveal the extra fidelity to a noticeable degree in a blind test. If we're talking a proper Hi-Fi separates system and/or a set of Grado headphones then yes, definitely, but otherwise it's probably of limited value to most.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Willing to bet that a decent majority of people wouldn't pass the Pepsi Challenge here anyway. Yes it's a welcome upgrade but, honestly, none of this kit is really going to reveal the extra fidelity to a noticeable degree in a blind test. If we're talking a proper HiFi separates system and/or a set of Grado headphones then yes, definitely, but otherwise it's probably of limited value to most.
Completely but it certainly makes for some truly heated fodder in the grand scheme of MR forums.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
You can listen to lossless audio with the AirPods Max the same way you'd to it with any other high quality headphones: you use an analog connection to a high quality audio source.

The only uses of the lightning port on the APM have been charging and analog audio, so the port likely doesn't support any sort of digital connection to begin with.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
I’ll be enjoying lossless as I already have been: with real, wired headphones on the go, and a real, wired amp and speaker system at home. Both will work with any service.

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Given that no human being can tell the difference in sound hardly a key feature.
I don't think this statement accurate. If you have the right setup, say decent loud speakers at home, I believe you can easily tell the difference if you care enough to train your ear.

I'm referring to AAC 256kb/s vs WAV 1,411kb/s (or whatever CD quality, or above, sound you use)

It's when it goes beyond the CD quality specs, that it becomes much much harder to distinguish.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Apple has confirmed that lossless audio can be listened to on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, but the higher quality audio is not available on AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.

You have to be f’ing kidding me. My $600 headphones don’t support, even wired? They just freaking released them! Who on gods earth are they bringing lossless to Apple Music for? For all the people that don’t buy their products? They sell speakers and headphone, and none of them support lossless? That makes zero sense. This surely has to be a mistake.

When you bought them you knew they couldn’t do lossless or you didn’t care.

Why do you suddenly care now? It’s obvious that you’re not someone who would need or notice a difference (neither am I).

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This and lack of lossless support in the HomePod are two head scratchers. No wonder it’s not an additional charge.

I do give them a little credit though because the Apple of old would have just released Atmos and Spatial Audio support and passed on HiFi. At least now the audiophiles who have the set ups can be happy too. Apple never used to cater to the minority of users, but this decision definitely is.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
What? Just Use the optional 3.5mm jack to lightning cable for your APM. The AirPods Max only works in wired mode with that cable anyway. When the source is analog, everything works.
I must've misunderstood then (and i'm glad I did, otherwise APM would be ripe for embarrasment).

So presumably, using a usb-c to 3.5mm adapter and then a 3.5mm to lightning cable will allow the APM to use lossless too?

EDIT:

Apple just confirmed with 9to5mac that even with the Lightening-to-3.5mm adapter, lossless will not work. At least not currently.

"But what about AirPods Max? Well, we asked Apple about it too since users can plug in a Lightning cable with a 3.5mm connector to use it wired. Unfortunately, Apple also told us that “AirPods Max currently does not support digital audio formats in wired mode.” For AirPods owners, the only Apple Music supported feature will be Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos."

Nevermind, seems like I was unfortunately right.

oddgit

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Audiophile here, i own a 2000 dollar pair of Sony cans, a custom molded set of earbuds and a nice android digital music player along with an ipod touch and an ipad.
The issue with the Air Pod Max is that they have their own DAC that may not support the full decoder range.
If i plug my customs into my iPod Touch and play an apple lossless track i encoded i will get that full range, same if i used my android music player.
The cable or the jack is not the issue, the DAC, digital analog converter is what allows the decoding and playback of the music then outputs it to whatever jack it is connected to. Lots of small USB-C and lightning dongles support very high rate decoding. I can use my android music player as a DAC plugging it in to my Mac Book Pro, windows machine and my iPad and it will run at full high bitrate decoding up to 384kHz-32bit/DSD256.
Basically you need a wired headphone and a DAC dongle combo if you have an iphone you want to use lossless with.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
For me, I love my AirPods Max (and Pros), they are very comfortable and the sound is really something else. I love the way you can change the volume and while taking business calls, the transparency feature makes me forget I have headohones on.

The thing is, I am more excited about the Spatial Audio and if anything I am more upset we can’t have that feature with Apple TV. I mostly watch my shows with the APM and a big 4K display when my little one is sleeping. Spatial Audio is great, and I think for music it’ll be a nice option to have.

For lossless, that’s something that has been around for a while and people who wanted that can get it with other services.

Edit: I think I meant, that if one were interested in lossless music options that person wouldn’t be using some AirPods and an iPhone with bluetooth. That person would have some serious stereo equipment which costs way more than a pair of APM.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Ouch. This must hurt most owners. I would’ve though it be possible through a cable at least. Either way, you can buy a good AMP/DAC and headphones that are not too pricey that can play higher resolution audio.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.