Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dani Miranda

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
I wish there were a similar solution for people with teeny tiny ear canals. I haven’t been able to use Apple’s stock earbuds for years, because they’re too big to fit comfortably in my ears.

I like my JayBird wireless earbuds well enough, and the smallest available silicone eartips work, but I like the charging case and W1 chip of the AirPods.
I do have small ears too. And I have just purchased the Apple AirPods. Have not opened them yet. Now I am wondering if I should return them.

Reactions: Ntombi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I do have small ears too. And I have just purchased the Apple AirPods. Have not opened them yet. Now I am wondering if I should return them.

Isn't there a 14 day return policy, even if you open the box?

How do the corded Earpods fit you? If they fit, then the Airpods should too.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Not sure if you’re the creator of the “AirDots,” but if you are... congratulations and if you’re not... did you see how someone ripped off your idea.. down to the narrative you used in your original post?

AirDots 2.0 AirPods Ear Hook Accessory Compatible with Apple AirPods/EarPods/Earphones/Earbuds (24 Pack). Easy Charging, Better Sound and Comfy Listening for Workouts, audiobooks, etc. Patent Pending. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7LYLZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_r-gKCb1RPZJ29

Hi guys

Posting this in case anyone's having the same issue and wants a simple fix.

Love my AirPods. Maybe I just have freakish cavernous ears though, because the left one kept on falling out (and the right one could be precarious at times too).

I tried everything. Foam covers (okay but not super comfortable), silicone covers (too slippery and made it worse). Didn't want to go with Earhooks etc because I still wanted to be able to pop the AirPods back in the case without having to remove anything first.

Then it occurred to me that actually what they needed was enough grip in a couple of places to stop them falling out. What I tried then has worked a treat, and now you'd need a crowbar to pry these things out of my lugs. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they don't fall out anymore.

What you'll need:

- Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape

https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/ne...roof-Tape?N=4326+3294529207+3294631805&rt=rud

- A hole punch.

The Nexcare tape is soft and spongy. Punch out a couple of little dots with the hole punch and experiment with placement on the AirPods. To get them to stick properly just hold them down for a minute or so and the adhesive will warm up. Placement might be different for each ear. I was able to fix my fit with just two dots per AirPod. And they're completely invisible when I'm wearing them.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

View attachment 721461

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy :)

Dani Miranda

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
Isn't there a 14 day return policy, even if you open the box?

How do the corded Earpods fit you? If they fit, then the Airpods should too.

I went to the store today, and tried them on. It fitted ok. Comfortable.
Thanks for your tip!

❤️

Reactions: Ntombi

NewZealandMatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Not sure if you’re the creator of the “AirDots,” but if you are... congratulations and if you’re not... did you see how someone ripped off your idea.. down to the narrative you used in your original post?

AirDots 2.0 AirPods Ear Hook Accessory Compatible with Apple AirPods/EarPods/Earphones/Earbuds (24 Pack). Easy Charging, Better Sound and Comfy Listening for Workouts, audiobooks, etc. Patent Pending. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7LYLZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_r-gKCb1RPZJ29

Thanks for the heads-up - AirDots are nothing to do with me.

I actually briefly looked into whether the idea could be patented. But it's a quick and easy thing to DIY. I wouldn't have felt great taking people's money for them.

I'll take it as a compliment that they stole my copy as well – and in doing so, my cavernous ears.

Reactions: clutchm3 and pcmike

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Thanks for the heads-up - AirDots are nothing to do with me.

I actually briefly looked into whether the idea could be patented. But it's a quick and easy thing to DIY. I wouldn't have felt great taking people's money for them.

I'll take it as a compliment that they stole my copy as well – and in doing so, my cavernous ears.
I see they're "not currently available"...I wonder if that means they are actually not as good as Nexcare plasters and therefore not selling...

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
You can get little self adhesive foam pads for glasses to make them more comfortable. They look like a solution, I'm going to give them a try and report back.
Screenshot 2019-03-26 at 09.29.16.png

EDIT: I've just looked through the entire thread again and someone else suggested these foam pads, doffs hat, great minds :D

Last edited:

wdm

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Hi guys

Posting this in case anyone's having the same issue and wants a simple fix.

Love my AirPods. Maybe I just have freakish cavernous ears though, because the left one kept on falling out (and the right one could be precarious at times too).

I tried everything. Foam covers (okay but not super comfortable), silicone covers (too slippery and made it worse). Didn't want to go with Earhooks etc because I still wanted to be able to pop the AirPods back in the case without having to remove anything first.

Then it occurred to me that actually what they needed was enough grip in a couple of places to stop them falling out. What I tried then has worked a treat, and now you'd need a crowbar to pry these things out of my lugs. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they don't fall out anymore.

What you'll need:

- Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape

https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/ne...roof-Tape?N=4326+3294529207+3294631805&rt=rud

- A hole punch.

The Nexcare tape is soft and spongy. Punch out a couple of little dots with the hole punch and experiment with placement on the AirPods. To get them to stick properly just hold them down for a minute or so and the adhesive will warm up. Placement might be different for each ear. I was able to fix my fit with just two dots per AirPod. And they're completely invisible when I'm wearing them.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

View attachment 721461

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy :)
What a great idea! I found something that works better than the tape - pads for corns on the foot. The ones I bought were small, and the hole in the middle fit around the slit in the EarPods perfectly.
20E238C3-4D81-4250-BF28-344C394314BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

iMatt.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Cupertino
Got my new AirPods on Tuesday. Love them and if I’m sitting still they fit ok, but after a while or if I’m moving around I do have to keep pushing them back in. I tried the compeed method with hole punching dots but the problem persisted. So I’ve ordered some of the tape in the OP from Amazon to be shipped to the UK. It’s currently on a plane from Newark so hopefully it will be with me this week and I’ll have the solution!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I’ve been using them for years and never had that problem. They become soiled and unusable long before they show any signs of wear.

Agreed. I used the original Comply and now use a 3rd-Party equivalent and never had a problem. You can get the "rough" feeling ones that attract wax, or the "smooth" ones that don't and are easily cleaned.
[doublepost=1554293893][/doublepost]
Might try the silcone version here as they seem to be available in Boots chemist in the UK

What did you buy, if anything, from Boots over here?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Agreed. I used the original Comply and now use a 3rd-Party equivalent and never had a problem. You can get the "rough" feeling ones that attract wax, or the "smooth" ones that don't and are easily cleaned.

I'd like to know this also. Is there anything similar on Amazon?

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK

They have 3 packs of these https://www.earplanes.com and I picked some up tonight.

They are exactly like shown in the video and you can pinch chunks of the silicone goo off to try the hack (it gets tackier as it heats up).

I haven't had it work for me so far though and have just taken it off and am using the Airpods in a regular fashion again.

I'm not sure these hacks will give me everything I really want anyway in this form. I played around a little last night with the fit and what I really need is for something to tilt them forward a little. They sound generally really good but if I put my fingers in my ears behind them and angle them forward I get a great seal and a lot better resulting sound quality - without that it sounds like I'm sitting in a room with all the background noise but a good quality stereo playing.

iMatt.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Cupertino
Yeah the Nexcare tape didn't really work for me - but I think I can stick with the AirPods for work/commuting and the new Beats Pro for the gym.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Clean the pods with alcohol before applying tape. That should ensure the best contact. (and use a Q-Tip with alcohol to clean inside the case at electrical contacts to prevent issues.)

I don't really need this, but I'm going to do it anyway for additional security.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I was thinking of gluing Velcro in my ears because I really miss my AirPods. I like my Bose SS Free’s because they stay in my ears but I would prefer the AirPods for every day use.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Found this thread because after a year my airpods are rubbing and creating a sore.
Went to amazon to buy the tape and saw this. It made my day.

Attachments

• FCF63C4A-BB01-4410-AD79-0A7F7362D8F6.png
    FCF63C4A-BB01-4410-AD79-0A7F7362D8F6.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.