Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I agree with everyone's sentiments. Excellent suggestion. Right pod always had an 'iffy' fit. Left fit fine. Applied the tape on both. Fit seems more snug. Still fits into the case. The real test will be when I try to jog with the Airpods; the right one would never stay in.....

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
Didn't work for me unfortunately, airpods still slid out of my ears as soon as I start walking. the problem is that my ear canal is really small and the airpods are too big so it doesn't go in properly. If Apple decides to make sport version with interchangeable tips or make the second version this style (highly doubtful) I will have to pass on Airpods.

I have the opposite problem, my ear holes appear to be too big or lack the cartilage which doesn't allow the earpods or Airpods to grip in my ears properly. It doesn't help that they are made of shiny white plastic either, they just slip right out after 2 minutes even when sitting at my desk.

I'll stick to the earpods for work and bluetooth Bose cans for my commute

Reactions: bigjnyc

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
NewZealandMatt - you are a superstar

I had bought Earskinz covers for my AirPods but I found that, although they didn’t take *that* much effort to put on, I still found myself not using my AirPods because I wanted the extra bass the Earskinz gave me, but I couldn’t be bothered with fiddling around with them.

Now, with my NewZealandMatt AirPod Dots I get the convenience of the Airpods with decent bass because they’re properly seated in my ears. The bass isn’t quite as good as with the Earskinz, but it’s good enough.

Thank you so much for this tip!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I finally did the foam cover hack yesterday and I am blown away. It is an option if you don't want to put tape on the pods.
I didn't do it right (no problem since I have multiple foam covers) music doesn't pause when I remove. I think I need to align the holes better.
But they sit in the case and charge correctly.

But the 2 biggest things...
They fit in my ear perfectly. No more tilting my head to get them to sit the best way and praying they don't get loose and move and lose all bass.
I put them in and don't even think about it now.

And the sound is, I am not kidding, 100% better. I didn't think it was possible.
The bass is like they are in ear headphones.

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
It’s a pity you can’t get the foam ones already made for AirPods.....surely I can’t be hard to mass produce and put on the market.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
And the sound is, I am not kidding, 100% better. I didn't think it was possible.
The bass is like they are in ear headphones.

Yep, I'm thinking many people returned/dismissed the Airpods with poor sound, when infact they weren't sitting properly in their ears. It could be a fine line between not hearing them as they should be heard & hearing them as intended. The fit is a big factor for sure. Glad you've plugged them in properly now.

TSquareX

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
There is always this style

DZUrjafX0AAekhD.jpg

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
Yep, I'm thinking many people returned/dismissed the Airpods with poor sound, when infact they weren't sitting properly in their ears. It could be a fine line between not hearing them as they should be heard & hearing them as intended. The fit is a big factor for sure. Glad you've plugged them in properly now.
Put some of those cheap foam covers on and they do make a much better fit....which does improve the sound particularly the bass. Also didn’t have to perform any surgery on the covers as for some reason it doesn’t seem to impead the headphone sensors.

2Dads

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2018
Canberra
Hi guys

Posting this in case anyone's having the same issue and wants a simple fix.

Love my AirPods. Maybe I just have freakish cavernous ears though, because the left one kept on falling out (and the right one could be precarious at times too).

I tried everything. Foam covers (okay but not super comfortable), silicone covers (too slippery and made it worse). Didn't want to go with Earhooks etc because I still wanted to be able to pop the AirPods back in the case without having to remove anything first.

Then it occurred to me that actually what they needed was enough grip in a couple of places to stop them falling out. What I tried then has worked a treat, and now you'd need a crowbar to pry these things out of my lugs. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they don't fall out anymore.

What you'll need:

- Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape

https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/ne...roof-Tape?N=4326+3294529207+3294631805&rt=rud

- A hole punch.

The Nexcare tape is soft and spongy. Punch out a couple of little dots with the hole punch and experiment with placement on the AirPods. To get them to stick properly just hold them down for a minute or so and the adhesive will warm up. Placement might be different for each ear. I was able to fix my fit with just two dots per AirPod. And they're completely invisible when I'm wearing them.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

View attachment 721461

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy :)

Another praise to NewZealandMatt!!!!!

I purchased a set of AirPods yesterday after alot of research. For me, It was a choice between the AirPods and the Bose Soundsport Free.

I ultimately decided on the AirPods as they ticked a few extra boxes for me. I have a few Apple products already and Apple assured me if I didn’t like them I could return within two weeks no questions asked.

I unboxed them at work, synced within seconds perfectly. Sounded great. Made a phone call, perfect as expected. Comfortable, unobtrusive, great sound simple and easy to use. Love them already.

Got to the gym at lunch, FAIL!!!!! Grrrrr “sad face”

I started walking on the treadmill, all good. Then moved into jogging at 6km/hr, right one fell out after five steps. Nearly lost it under the treadmill. Removed them, ran for a warmup km listening to the gym music playing instead. Thinking that running with them is out of the question lets try weights instead.

Standing bicep curls and Tricep Extensions, perfect, no problems at all. Gravity keeps them in check.

Tried laying down for bench press, FAIL!!!! Constantly trying to contain them in my ears. Both sides fell out 2-3 times each during my lying exercises. Of course the music stops every time one is removed. Very distracting.

Think to myself, that’s it I’m taking them back. Ill get the Bose instead.

Turns out my ear cavities are quite large and not suited to the standard AirPods size or shape. I never used the EarPods before as Ive always preferred my QC 35’s when not in the gym so I couldn’t compare them to the AirPods.

But I really like the ease, simplicity, effortlessness as well as the case battery life of the AirPods (24hrs!!!). I really don’t want to return them. Decide to see if others have had the same issues and what solutions work best for them before I make my decision.

I came across NewZealandMatt’s post through a google search and decided it was worth a try. Popped down to my local Chemist Warehouse and found the Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape for $7.49. If anyone wants some, I am sure we could arrange to share it around for postage cost.

Got home and placed a couple of spots on each AirPod in the same location as Matt. WOW!!! What a difference. They fit perfectly and the sound is soooooo much better than before. No jiggle or movement at all. Layed down on the floor and they did not budge. Best of all, no interference at all with the case closing.

Its almost lunch time, so I will report back after my next gym session about how they perform after my modifications.

Again, a massive thanks to NewZealandMatt for sharing this solution. For those sitting on the fence, this is definitely worth a try.

*****UPDATE****

So I now have to say, I returned the AirPods and purchased the Bose Soundsport Free.

Not because the AirPods are bad. But because of my ears. The AirPods are everything I wanted and more, with only one small downfall. They didnt work for me in the gym.

Even with NewZealandMatt's fix, they still fell out on me. I nearly lost both Pods under the treadmill again!!!

I still havent made my mind up yet. And even while writing this, I am still considering returning the Bose and buying trying the AirPods again. Maybe buying some silicon tips with the wings for the gym? Actually I have some Yurbud covers that might work well!!!

As good as the Bose are for the gym, they still arent quite as convenient. Large case, low battery life, not as seamless to use and more expensive.

Oh well. The tough choices we have to make these days.

I will keep you updated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I am trying this out now, after seeing this thread. If it doesn't hold up to workouts, I might try the tape suggested by the OP. This tape has a rough texture, so it might hold it in place better. I went the route of cutting a strip that goes around it.

h2fT48J.jpg

JxLcizu.jpg

Reactions: Rocko99991

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
My right ear is a perfect fit they never fall out, left i can't even walk around or even move in a chair and it falls out, got the tape so will give it a try.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I would like to report back that I am very happy. I have had the foam covers to help them stay in, but the tape I used holds it nice and tight. Even when I go running.

I am not a fan of the white color, as it shows dirt to easily, but I have enough tape to replace it ever couple of weeks for life!

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

velvetnose

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Hi guys

Posting this in case anyone's having the same issue and wants a simple fix.

Love my AirPods. Maybe I just have freakish cavernous ears though, because the left one kept on falling out (and the right one could be precarious at times too).

I tried everything. Foam covers (okay but not super comfortable), silicone covers (too slippery and made it worse). Didn't want to go with Earhooks etc because I still wanted to be able to pop the AirPods back in the case without having to remove anything first.

Then it occurred to me that actually what they needed was enough grip in a couple of places to stop them falling out. What I tried then has worked a treat, and now you'd need a crowbar to pry these things out of my lugs. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they don't fall out anymore.

What you'll need:

- Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape

https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/ne...roof-Tape?N=4326+3294529207+3294631805&rt=rud

- A hole punch.

The Nexcare tape is soft and spongy. Punch out a couple of little dots with the hole punch and experiment with placement on the AirPods. To get them to stick properly just hold them down for a minute or so and the adhesive will warm up. Placement might be different for each ear. I was able to fix my fit with just two dots per AirPod. And they're completely invisible when I'm wearing them.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

View attachment 721461

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy :)

Worked Perfectly. Two dots on each ear. The real advantage with this method is that you can charge the pods in the case. Incredible. Thank you!

NewZealandMatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Worked Perfectly. Two dots on each ear. The real advantage with this method is that you can charge the pods in the case. Incredible. Thank you!

You're most welcome.

Really happy to see this working for other people too.

As an update a few months down the track: I find that occasionally – every few weeks or so – you need to wipe the pads down, as oil build-up can make the tape lose that slight resistance it has, which keeps them in your ear.

Also after 3-4 months or so I found the pads weren't sticking to the AirPods as well as before, so I had to take them off and put new ones on. But it's such an easy fix, it's no problem at all to swap them out.

Reactions: Ralfi

Gregg Thurman

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I found hair removal cream applied three times over a week, then once a week for maintenance, did the trick.

As an added benefit my daughter thinks I look better without the “potato patch” growing out of my ears.

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Just wanted to chime in my thanks to NewZealandMatt for posting this. Earbuds have been falling out of my freakishly small ears for years but this solution has made my AirPods fit nice and snugly. Cheers, Matt :)

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
You're most welcome.
Also after 3-4 months or so I found the pads weren't sticking to the AirPods as well as before, so I had to take them off and put new ones on. But it's such an easy fix, it's no problem at all to swap them out.
I have to do this after just a couple weeks, but it's more than worth it. I suspect this says something about my ears. It also gives me a chance to try out different positions, but I tend to end up exactly where you put yours.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
The problem for me is not that the AirPods fall out of my ears (they don't) but that I don't get a snug fit. I find them OK when using indoors but when in the car they fail to seal properly in my ear. I tried the tape thing but it did not really work for me. I might they again. I'd like some sort of foam cover that'll still allow you to place the pods in their case. Any ideas?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
The problem for me is not that the AirPods fall out of my ears (they don't) but that I don't get a snug fit. I find them OK when using indoors but when in the car they fail to seal properly in my ear. I tried the tape thing but it did not really work for me. I might they again. I'd like some sort of foam cover that'll still allow you to place the pods in their case. Any ideas?

Don't bother with foam covers. While I got this nice, inexpensive bundle on Amazon that came with a handful of colorful foam covers, I realized that the foam covered the sensors that detect whether or not they're in your ear, so when you remove them and place them down, they still continue to output audio. Also, you lose the ability to double-tap for Siri or toggling playback.

It was only with a precision scissor I was able to cut some holes out, but ended up ripping, not lining up properly or losing their positioning, that it really needs to be manufactured with the holes for it to be successful.

I'm going to try the OP's method instead.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
i understand the iconic Apple design aesthetics, however why not offer EarPods, AirPods in skin tones options (5 varieties). Other than carry more SKUs, maybe another option is to include a skin tone silicone cover for these expensive AirPods, would make them look less obtrusive and comical in general/public use. Unless people purchase as a fashion/status symbol then their can opt not to use it and I would reassess my life’s purpose/worth where a product or association with a brand brings meaning to my life.

Excellent solution by the OP and others, shame on Apple who claims to take their time with refining innovation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.