AirPods Pro 2C54 Firmware: Worse Noise Canceling, Improved Frequency Response and Bass Accuracy

f0ku5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
I received my APP’s few days ago with 2B588 firmware. Am I on „good” firmware in terms of ANC or „bad” one?

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
So, while my APP on the 2C54 have good NC for tuning out the ceiling fan in my room, or the gas fireplace, and running water in the sink or the ceiling fan vent in the bathroom, I found that when using them in the car today I noticed a considerable amount of low frequency rumble from my WRX exhaust making it through the APP unattenuated.

Also, when I walk down the street with them in my ears, I hear the intrusive thumping of my feet as I walk on the pavement get physically transmitted through my APP (bone conduction?), when they didn't do it this badly before. When speaking with my son about this, he definitely recalls my commenting on how much better the APP were for this issue when walking vs my Sennheiser Momentum TWS which sound better with music but don't have ANC (they do have transparency mode).

It was definitely NOT this bad when I first got them on Nov 16th. So, count me in the group of people who are disappointed with Apple.

rxp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2018
That's called the Occlusion Effect. The APPs have a remarkable way of sounding transparent and minimising the impact of the ear canal being blocked which normally results in a boomy bass when you talk or move.

I also noticed even on 2B588 I get more thumping when walking. It's related to the lack of deep bass frequency cancellation.

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
In this age, I will never understand how firmware upgrades work. They release a working hardware, you think they will upgrade it because they finessed it even more to make it work better, then you discover they actually broke the product. This goes for all companies and not just Apple...

Why release firmware that causes more problems than good?

Reactions: Senfinger

crsh1976

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
The APP's have significantly better sound quality than the standard AirPods while also offering noise cancelling. The regular Airpods have essentially zero noise cancelling. I consider them to be completely open.
"Significant" sound quality is debateable, considering ANC is likely the main difference to factor in; you gotta give something up, the regular Airpods already have pretty good sound, and if you don't need or want ANC, then you probably don't need or want the Pro.

After that, if you want to shell out close to $300 instead of $200, so be it.

kshitijshah

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
So this is what has happened. I checked several times to see is my NC was on. the 2C54 definitely has poor ANC. A shame since the main feature of the AirPods Pro is Noise Cancellation

Reactions: spidersoft_uk

Burger Thing

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
What I am more concerned about is the the general reliability of the connection. 1 out 10 times I have serious issues connecting the APPs. Usually the right one won't connect. And I have to put them back into the charging case 4 or 5 times and try to reconnect. Pain in the bu..

Reactions: whsbuss

Lazlow

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
I definitely noticed a few days ago that ANC suddenly seemed worse than usual. I've even gone to switch modes assuming I had accidentally turned it off only to find out it was on in the first place. Now I know why. They best fix it fast.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I know this sounds crazy, but suck hard on the inner grill. Me and a lot of others are having that issue and discussing it in another thread and many people have seen the issue temporarily fixed by doing that and/or cleaning the grill with loctite or similar wall tack. We initially thought it was software-related too until someone discovered that.
Will definitely try this. I know I had to take them off to clean them because I let my daughter try them and she has kinda waxy ears that are small since she is little and it forced some wax into the inner part (not on the screen) so i ran water the opposite way to get it out and used a swab for the residue. Unfortunately I forgot them today so I'll have to wait until this evening, but thanks for the tip!
This happened to me the other day- I noticed as I was trying to get the best seal and reduce wind noise a couple weeks ago. After getting off my bike I switched from the large to medium tips and noticed that one ear sounded timy and far. I reset the AirPods and same thing.
Turns out that a small Amount of sweat got on the earbuds paper holder and made a thin layer of paper material get stuck to the mesh. I used a paper clip to remove the stuck paper but damaged the mesh in the process. :/ it’s all good though it sounds normal now.
I'm pretty sure I attached them back to the paper when trying the other tips because I didn't want to lose them since there were Christmas presents and wrapping paper clutter all over the room. And actually I'm not even sure if i tried the other tips until the next day, so that could be it. I don't get a good seal with the other sizes so it's nearly impossible to check if the regular sized ones are defective in some way vs. the others. As I mentioned above, I forgot them at home so I can't check right now but I really appreciate the tip.

These things are on the cusp of perfection for me if I can just get this small but annoying issue sorted.

PTVMan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
I can attest to worse noise cancellation since the firmware update. Prior to the update I was completely unable to hear traffic and car noise when I would take my daily walk to get lunch. Since the update I hear almost everything. I hope Apple returns to more noice cancellation soon.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I found the AirPod Pro’s noise canceling underwhelming and returned them. Comments describing it as amazing and perfect is baffling. I can’t fathom them actually getting worse.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
So ended up getting me a pair just as they came back in stock here in Denmark. The are on firmware 2B588. Have not heard the ANC on the previous version but will bring the to the gym later and see how they fare there.

Mimiron

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2017
Damn, for a second I thought there was a new update. 2C54 is dog ****. Miss the times when Apple technology magically "worked."

Nick5

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
If 2C54 was released and pulled in December, is there any way the update could just be getting to my AirPods now? If the update is slowly rolled out and sits on your phone and then waits for the AirPods to be nearby in a plugged in case I guess that could happen, but haven’t seen anything suggesting that’s the case.

I’m also a little confused because what I’m experiencing seems like reduced noise canceling in the mid/treble range. Still seems to block out the hum of the NYC subway, but today I could hear people talking and it really surprised me.

Just sayin...

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I’m a little late to the party, but my AirPods Pro are currently at firmware level 2B588 and the noise cancellation works great. Anybody know if there’s a way to skip this problematic update?

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I’m a little late to the party, but my AirPods Pro are currently at firmware level 2B588 and the noise cancellation works great. Anybody know if there’s a way to skip this problematic update?
The update have been pulled from the server. so atm you will not get it.
The big question is how to avoid the next update until we know if there are any problems

Some people have said that 2B588 isn't as god as the original firmware, but I have no grounds for comparison

Reactions: Just sayin...

michaelant

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2006
I’m also a little confused because what I’m experiencing seems like reduced noise canceling in the mid/treble range. Still seems to block out the hum of the NYC subway, but today I could hear people talking and it really surprised me.
Yeah I was also confused about the tech site's testing where they said it affected low rumble noises. For me, it's just like you, where the midrange (people talking, etc) just comes right through now, whereas before, people were blessedly muted. 😇

jlingo

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
I noticed improvement in the sound Quality department:, Better Dynamic, expansive soundstage, much better bass.

Older firmware was less engaging weak bass.

rxp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2018
Been a while since I was walking around with trasparency mode outside - we had some storms in the UK and the wind noise reduction with transparency mode on 2B588 is much better than the out of box experience. I was shocked at how good ANC coped with wind, since on the WI-1000x and WF XM3's I couldn't use full ANC with wind, but with transparency mode the wind really impacted it. Now it's so much better.