Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
So much win on the inclusion of “Conversation Boost” in the new APP firmware beta (which is something I don’t have the technical ability to test until next firmware release).

Looks like Apple is finally responding to all the criticism and scandalised outrage - increase to 7,680 complaints on Apple’s own AirPod’s Pro support thread and counting?:

Inescapable conclusion that this is likely a major malfunction, across all AirPods Pro ever manufactured, due to poor firmware - it is simply not good enough for the price point and damages the reputation of Apple.

Let’s hope the failed Apple design processes that led to keyboardgate, cablegate, all these other unforced idiotic errors - and now AirPods “Pro” microphone working worse than standard AirPods microphone - let’s hope all these failed processes are being removed and re-thought. Before Apple starts making electric cars?.

This latest MicGate, where the AirPods “Pro” mic doesn’t work, whereas the cheaper AirPods mic does work, was truly the stupidest type of error - the type of error you would expect from a third rate c-grade manufacturer of no-name brand computer hardware, whose headphones you buy at the gas station because you need some spare headphones. A joke, basically.

Just as much of a joke that the MacBook “Pro” was released with a keyboard that didn’t work. The most. Basic. Of. Computer. Elements. On a “Pro” device.

And Apple have done it again, with AirPods “Pro”…where the “Pro” is short for “Probably Faulty”.

Future consumers will now say: “oh shoot, that’s the Pro model, Apple always puts useless experimental stuff that breaks in their ‘Pro’ models, I’ll stick with the one that works, the ordinary model”.

I’ll just quote one scandalised dude on that Apple thread in the last few days, he says it all:

I have the same problem bad call quality from air pod pros from friends and family. I am having better call quality from a set of cheap soundpeats earphones.
To pay $349.00 for AirPod pros is a lot of money. Hoping the iOS 15 will fix this issue. Very embarrassing when people cannot hear you. These have been replaced by apple and still same issue.

“Squeaky wheel gets the oil.”

Last edited:

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Hoooo yeah just updating, you can really feel the burn on this response from 13 August 2021 on Apple’s Forum.

This dude scores 10 Disaffecteds out of a possible 10 Disaffecteds.

”What level of salty do you want Sir?” “Yes”.

And I empathise, because I feel exactly how this dude feels, and all the other disappointed consumers on the Apple Support thread who have also been ripped off:

I have never posted on an apple community forum (even when they changed the "gold" on apple watches), but this is a ridiculous problem that make my airpods pro useful only for non-human listening. I have to remove them to take a call and hopefully have my case on me or then my sister is accidentally in my pocket unless I make additional efforts. Adding to this forum to simply increase the volume of activity, since that is how companies decide what issues are really impacting customers. I have also had my airpods pro replaced, reset, restarted. The MOST frustrating thing is when the apple support team explains noise cancellation (which is for my benefit not the caller). Anyway... Just piling on in this forum, because it is ridiculous that my most expensive pair of wireless headphones from a brand like Apple are unusable for their primary purpose.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
So, return them, get your money back, buy something else and move on with your life.

It is hardly a scandal. Do you write headlines for third rate websites? Talk about being over-dramatic. Tens of thousands of homeless people is a scandal, Trumps incitement of violence and the storming of the Capitol is a scandal, some perspective would be good.

I appreciate that this is annoying and frustrating but I’m not sure that by having a hissy fit on here, you’re going to have any affect on the issue.

I hope that you manage to chill out and get some peace in your life

Jason

The last thing a consumer product rumour site needs is some perspective.

Should every article posted need a disclaimer that whatever Apple is doing is completely meaningless compared to <insert current news headline>?

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Updates?

There are some pretty great and solid new complaints from a diverse range of consumers on Apple’s own Support forum, with some users as far away as Oceania! Now almost 8,000 complaints! Here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813242?page=35

We will get to analyse and dissect the complaints on Apple’s own website below.

Before starting that, it’s worth noting there is ever-increasing amounts of evidence that this malfunction with the AirPods Pro microphones not working is a truly global issue, for all AirPods units ever produced by Apple.

More importantly, the timelines of evidence are long enough that we can observe Apple actively ignoring the substantial, sustained, consistently uniform consumer complaints about the AirPods Pro microphone.

This means it’s no longer only an issue about Apple AirPods Pro microphones, this is a company that now appears not to care about substantive user feedback about poorly performing products.

Over 7,500 complaints, since 2019, on Apple’s own website, with hundreds of posts all complaining of the same AirPods Pro microphone malfunction (many right out of the box). Nothing done by Apple about it. And it appears malfunctioning units are still being sold by Apple to consumers.

What does that spell out to the average consumer?

23 Aug 2021, Apple Support page (link above):
Apple, get your your s&$t together, I have bought these for daughter and for $400 AUD this is pitiful. She has to use Zoom and phone calls constantly for hyper work and silly me thought I was helping her out buying the so-called-best of the best. Pathetic. What are you going to do about this. You should be recalling these.

Another great example here on 24 August 2021:
Completely agree with karinds, I absolutely regret Apple products. I don’t even think they care about our feedback. Had so many issues from my macbook pro (UI/UX) - they can’t even get simple things right and oh - they’d hate that if people don’t do it THEIR WAY! Absolute rubbish!!! Airpods pro mic quality is inferior to sony pods or other less-expensive items in the market! Not worth the price at all. People should not be buying Apple products. It’s a sham. I even wonder why i’m writing/ranting here.

There is undeniable, strong, sustained, and consistent evidence that suggests every AirPods Pro unit ever sold (and due to be sold) all around the world has this problem with the microphones and that Apple can’t fix it, and that Apple should probably issue a global recall or offer a full refund due the microphones not appearing to work as advertised.

It’s not just the microphones at issue, it is Apple’s colossally poor response to what is a very expensive purchase for many consumers, made on the basis - the consumer trust in the advertised aspects of the product - that the microphone will be functional. The timeline on this large consumer feedback on this major product malfunction has been so long, running to years now, that it could now potentially be characterised as blatant avoidant conduct on the part of Apple.

This all points to the worrying notion that this is a company beginning to show repeated signs of a possible chronic inability to control product quality and manufacturing, leading to degradation of products that no longer match premium price points. Not good signs at all, particularly for a company wanting to enter the car manufacturing market!

Last edited:

aeg07046

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I had the same issue.

I took my AP Pros (pre-Oct 2020) to the Apple Store in Dubai.

I did not believe that Apple couldn’t fix this with improved hardware and I could not understand that a company so customer centric could do this to their customers knowingly.

They tested and confirmed that they were defective and replaced them with new ones. I asked if they are sure that the news ones will work and they said “guaranteed to work, issue was fixed as of last October”. I couldn’t test them there before I left because they said that the new ones take “one hour to pair to the case”. Afterwards trusting Apple I didn’t test them.

A few weeks later I noticed the same issue. I made another appointment (this time in a New Jersey Apple Store). They tested these and said that it is hard to believe but these new ones were also defective. They could see in the system that they were issued by the Apple Store Dubai two weeks ago. They gave me yet another new set. I explained the issue that it is hard to trust this again and ran into the same “must wait 60 mins before they pair” issue.

I tested them that night (wind or loud music background against voice recorder) and it was inconclusive. Now another 2 weeks later I have the same issue. People can’t hear me when there is noise around.

I have another appointment at the Dubai Apple Store tomorrow. I will get Apple to replace them every week until I get a set that works. If I never do I will force them to either give me a full refund for me to buy the next gen which is being release soon or get them to swap them with the next gen ones.

I feel there is nothing I can do. The OP is 100% correct and it is disgusting that a company who has $200 billion of cash in the bank (collected from people like me) acts like a predator to loyal customers.

Reactions: Phwoar

doctor-a

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2021
Hello everyone,

I've registered an account to make a report which hopefully helps clear things up.

I've purchased a pair of AirPods Pro as a gift around 3 weeks ago. They are amazing devices, and the noise cancellation is mind-blowing. In the first two days of use the giftee used the AirPods indoors without issue. However, when I received a call from them, while they were outdoors it was impossible to hold a conversation as the voice audio would randomly attenuate and the level of the background noise would seemingly increase.

We contacted Apple support and went through the full troubleshooting steps. The Apple device (iPhone) the AirPods were paired to was fully up to date. The AirPod firmware was also fully up to date. The AirPods had not been dropped or submerged in water. Importantly I found the manufacture date from the support person: 2021-07.

After performing all of the checks we tested the AirPods again outdoors and the problem was still there, both during calls and using the Voice Memos app. I was offered to send the AirPods back to apple for a replacement. Seeing as they were recently purchased I opted to return them to the retailer for a full refund (I'm about to drop them off).

I did further testing myself and I managed to narrow down the problem somewhat. Using the Voice Memos app I recorded myself speaking at a steady level and pace, in front of a Dyson fan (running at low fan speed, produces a gentle "wind" and approximately white noise).

Facing the fan: you could hear me fine.
Turning my head to face the right bud: you can hear me fine.
Turning my head to face the left bud: the volume of my voice in the recording immediately and significantly dips, until at some point it cuts out entirely.
Turning my head to face the fan again: you can hear me fine.

The problem is clearly isolated to when the left bud is subject to background noise or wind.

It's apparent to me that the problem could be hard to pin down for some in realistic outdoor conditions, since it might depend on the direction of the noise or the wind. I recommend trying the above test if you have doubts.

I hope this helps,

-A

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Using my AirPods Pro, I compared transparent and noise cancellation modes:
Walking along and at a distance of less than 0.1mile from an interstate highway during rush hour, with transparent mode could hear the noisy and irritating highway road noise but when ANC was turned on, the road noise was reduced to barely perceivable level;

At a distance about 1/4mile from the same highway, launched CNN. With transparent mode, I could hear both CNN and highway road noise, but with ANC, the road noise was largely eliminated and could hear CNN much more clearly.

Noise from dog barking as well as by closing garage door were mostly cancelled by ANC.

Last edited:
Reactions: helloapple1

Heiner030

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2017
exatctly same issue, bought the App 1 week ago and today had a phone call, my gf on other side told me that my voice some time dissappears, I´s walking on crowdy street, not that windy - almost no wind. back inside my office everything clear.

Googled it, and came across here, and seeing Apple again failing so hard. I will return them, cauze I use them 60% for calling and 40% for music.

Almost as bad as the Air Tags battery drain issue (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-drain-after-setting-up-airtag.2294993/page-9) . Apple isnt a good tech comp anymore. the amazon basic buds from my friend has a better mic quality and cost 30 €

• Sad
Reactions: 0194839 and Phuz01

al3000

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
England
I came to this forum to post about this issue, but looks like I am not the only one who experienced it o_O

Wondering it's worth the time in taking this to Apple support and looking for a replacement if others have done the same to no avail? So disappointing for a premium product. I had assumed the audio issues previously were just the nature of having a call off a wireless bud but I was just off the phone with a friend of mine who was using his AirPods (non-pro) and he kept asking why he could hear my footsteps and all the cars around me...

• Sad
Reactions: Phuz01

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
It really is disappointing. When I replaced my APPs a few months ago, I thought the issues were behind me. But every time I take a call outside, people say I fade in and out, and that they hear background noises over my voice. I have to wonder how much of this is a software issue, and whether it will be addressed in iOS15, or if it's time to start looking at a different set of in-ear cans. I love the sound quality, and the ANC is amazing. But if you can't carry on a conversation while wearing the APPs because they're not focusing on your voice and broadcasting it to the other parties on your call, then they are a tech failure.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Ok updates for this thread, it appears Apple have fixed the problem with the microphones on AirPods Pro for FaceTime calls only. This proves it is a software based problem and therefore completely fixable by Apple. All other call types on other apps are still broken:

With iOS 15 and Voice Isolation feature active, during FaceTime calls at least for now, the problem is completely solved.
Just tested.
I hope this feature will be available also for third party calls and normal calls.

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813242?page=37

Reactions: helloapple1

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
Ok updates for this thread, it appears Apple have fixed the problem with the microphones on AirPods Pro for FaceTime calls only. This proves it is a software based problem and therefore completely fixable by Apple. All other call types on other apps are still broken:

With iOS 15 and Voice Isolation feature active, during FaceTime calls at least for now, the problem is completely solved.
Just tested.
I hope this feature will be available also for third party calls and normal calls.

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813242?page=37
I wonder why they didn't bring it to regular calls....probably to market their FaceTime platform

ozsmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
I've personally never had this issue, I've been using AirPods Pro since they were launched (I got mine on the first day of shipping). I regularly take calls outside, in wind and with traffic noise and haven't had anyone hang up or complain majorly.

That said, I can see that people are suggesting that firmware 4A400 may have resolved this.

I've also confirmed that with iOS15 and AirPods Pro Firmware 4A400, I'm able to change the microphone mode on my iPhone and iPad to "Voice Isolation" whilst using Teams and Zoom, and that setting seems to stick in-between calls. If the setting isn't showing (as you swipe down from from top right hand side), toggle mute on or off and it seems to force it to show up (and stay showing up).

So let's hope this resolves this issue for anyone who is having it.

1634273421812.png
1634273595639.png

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
So. We will now finally get to find out if AirPods 3 have the same microphone problem cutting in and out, outside, as AirPods Pro.

If you are a purchaser of AirPods 3 and you see this thread, please conduct a test outdoors (use Voice Memos) and compare it to this person’s experience with AirPods Pro:

ionoanymore

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
So. We will now finally get to find out if AirPods 3 have the same microphone problem cutting in and out, outside, as AirPods Pro.

If you are a purchaser of AirPods 3 and you see this thread, please conduct a test outdoors (use Voice Memos) and compare it to this person’s experience with AirPods Pro:
AirPods 3 have the same problem. My girlfriend just received the AP3 today, upgrading from the AP2. As soon as she received AP3, while in a call with me, she disconnected her AP2 and connected her new ones. I was immediately disappointed in the voice quality from her end.

Seemingly most background noises cause her to be distorted or completely suppressed. Holding any sort of conversation is filled with much "You've been talking? It's been completely silent," or "Huh? What'd you say?" It also happens when her cousin comes into the room and tries to say something for me to hear, or my gf asks if I heard the conversation they were having.

If you're having a problem with your voice being suppressed on APP, I don't suggest you buy the AirPods 3. See if you can somehow test them yourself before you buy..possibly through a friend or what have you. It's obviously to do with the firmware, since there's already complaints about this issue with Apples other mics, and AP3 were just released. If only there was a way to disable this "enhancement".

*for the drama queens/kings* We video/voice call using Skype for hours per day using AP2; I know what a call is supposed to sound like. You're supposed to be able to hear the other person. We are not calling each other in the middle of hurricane force winds (there was NO wind at all, she's alone in an empty room), and her voice is being suppressed when AP3 detects any background noise. The problem did not exist in the seconds prior to disconnecting AP2 and connecting AP3. Just because you're fine with going "HUH? What'd ya say?" doesn't mean everybody is. They have a built-in microphone for a reason, and for many many people it is almost unusable. Just because we are the minority does not mean it's not an issue that does not need attention.

Best of luck to everyone. Stay safe

Last edited:

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
My family bought 2 sets of AirPods pro from Costco because they were on sale. I called AppleCare and was told that the manufacture date was August 20, 2021 for each of them. They were assembled in Vietnam as indicated on the box and on the airpods. The firmware version is 4A400 on each and iPhone version is 14.8

I waited for a windy day to test them. Today, I did the test when the wind gust was 35-37 mph. I tested in two ways by recording to voice memo via Bluetooth and by checking the the signal strength on the (magnified) voice memo’s signal strength graph.

I tested both sets of AirPods Pro by walking against and along the wind direction and by alternating between transparent and voice cancellation modes. The result is the voice quality from all the voice memo recordings from this test is very clear and comprehensible. I also tested both sets of airpods while inside the car and at home on voice memo without any wind and the voice quality of the recording is much better than those recorded under windy condition. Under such windy condition, a small amount of degradation should be expected; I am surprised that the AirPods pro does work under such adverse condition.

In conclusion, there is degradation of the voice quality for conversation made under 35mph wind gust. However, the degradation is not to the degree that make the conversation incomprehensible.

Last edited:

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
AirPods 3 have the same problem. My girlfriend just received the AP3 today, upgrading from the AP2. As soon as she received AP3, while in a call with me, she disconnected her AP2 and connected her new ones. I was immediately disappointed in the voice quality from her end.

Seemingly most background noises cause her to be distorted or completely suppressed. Holding any sort of conversation is filled with much "You've been talking? It's been completely silent," or "Huh? What'd you say?" It also happens when her cousin comes into the room and tries to say something for me to hear, or my gf asks if I heard the conversation they were having.

If you're having a problem with your voice being suppressed on APP, I don't suggest you buy the AirPods 3. See if you can somehow test them yourself before you buy..possibly through a friend or what have you. It's obviously to do with the firmware, since there's already complaints about this issue with Apples other mics, and AP3 were just released. If only there was a way to disable this "enhancement".

*for the drama queens/kings* We video/voice call using Skype for hours per day using AP2; I know what a call is supposed to sound like. You're supposed to be able to hear the other person. We are not calling each other in the middle of hurricane force winds (there was NO wind at all, she's alone in an empty room), and her voice is being suppressed when AP3 detects any background noise. The problem did not exist in the seconds prior to disconnecting AP2 and connecting AP3. Just because you're fine with going "HUH? What'd ya say?" doesn't mean everybody is. They have a built-in microphone for a reason, and for many many people it is almost unusable. Just because we are the minority does not mean it's not an issue that does not need attention.

Best of luck to everyone. Stay safe

Wow ok well that sucks - sorry to hear this (if you pardon the pun).

So it really does look like even if I bought the AP3, we are still gonna have problematic microphone interruptions when using the Apple wireless headphones outside. FaceTime calls allow voice isolation but that seems to be about it.

I’m going to stick to my solution of taking my Apple wired EarPods with me and using those for calls - no problems with the microphone on those?

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Given that both AirPods Pro and AP3 may have microphone noise corruption problem as reported on this forum and elsewhere (some APPs don’t seem to have this problem), currently their prices seem comparable. AP3 is listed for $174.99(since it is new, it may be difficult to find discount), I got my APP for $179.99 while on sale.

Last edited:

ionoanymore

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Wow ok well that sucks - sorry to hear this (if you pardon the pun).

So it really does look like even if I bought the AP3, we are still gonna have problematic microphone interruptions when using the Apple wireless headphones outside. FaceTime calls allow voice isolation but that seems to be about it.

I’m going to stick to my solution of taking my Apple wired EarPods with me and using those for calls - no problems with the microphone on those?
I hear you loud and clear! AP3 and APP just got an update and so far I haven't experienced any issues today on AP3. Call quality was crisp and I had no trouble hearing the voice of the AP3 user. Background noise didnt cause their voice to get corrected. Compared them with AP2, as we previously did, and AP3 sounded better this time. No way of knowing exactly what they changed in the update because there's no patch notes.

I'll come back in a month or so and let you know if AP3 are still good. Ya never know.. they could update them again and the problem could be back.

I really hope the quality is here to stay. Good luck!

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
My AirPods mic wouldn’t work at first but I restarted my iPhone and then it worked.

Nepenthe

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Minnesota
Simple thread, basically: Apple AirPods Pro microphone scandal!

Over 4,700 customers have complained about the Apple AirPods Pro microphone cutting out on Apple's own support website:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813242

I've replaced my AirPods Pro over FOUR times now (under warranty, newly manufactured versions have the same problem)!! Same problem every time! It's likely to be a firmware error in all Apple AirPods Pro.

Apple has also implemented a stop-gap replacement scheme (but this does not fix the problem):

So what's the problem?:
  • Apple AirPods Pro's firmware detects any background (street) noise or wind noise and immediately lowers the sensitivity of the microphone in response until the external noise stops. This results in the AirPods Pro microphone turning off, on, off, on, cutting off the voice of the AirPods Pro USER on any call they make whenever the external noise is detected by the Airpods Pro. It is likely to be a major firmware problem replicated in all AirPods Pro.
  • The glitch means that the AirPods Pro USER can be on any type of voice call (normal phone call, VoIP, FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp etc) and as soon as the AirPods Pro devices detect external noise, the AirPods Pro user's voice is immediately suppressed on the call for the duration of the external noise.
  • The RECIPIENT of the call from the AirPods Pro user hears the following when the AirPods Pro user speaks: "Hi Fred I'm just calling you and a motorcycle is driving past so [muffle muffle muffle] sorry ok the motorcycle has gone you can hear me? Ok good, look I was wanting to ask you if the [muffle muffle muffle] oh wait there's some wind did you hear my question? No? Ok I wanted to [muffle muffle]!"
  • UNLESS THE AirPods Pro user switches to the Apple wired headphones/mic, the RECIPIENT cannot hear anything. Under Apple's wired headphones, the RECIPIENT of the call call hears the following: "Hi Fred I'm just calling and a motorcycle is driving past so I hope you can still hear me, sorry ok the motorcycle has gone you can hear me? Ok good, look I was wanting to ask you if the new iPhone 12 case is out oh wait there's some wind did you hear my question? Yes? Ok great!"
  • The effect of external noise resulting in AirPods Pro microphone muting (firmware error) can be replicated on Apple's "Voice Memo" app on all MacBooks and on all iPhones, newer generation and older.
It is completely unacceptable that the Apple wired headphones/mic work under all external sound conditions, and the vastly more expensive Apple AirPods Pro microphones cut out as soon as it detects external sounds.

This is in many ways worse than MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard-gate – the core functionality of the Apple AirPods Pro is for use as a headset. The AirPods Pro are sold as a device to carry sound to the ears of the AirPods Pro user, and carry the voice of the AirPods Pro user to the recipients on the other end of a call. This product is sold by Apple to customers as a premium two-way bluetooth headset telephony device.

I've noticed that some of the 4,700 customers on Apple's own support website have also recorded the audio of their microphone experiences (see late 2020 complaints: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813242 ).

This is completely unacceptable for a premium expensive product – and it is very likely to be a firmware error, so very fixable.

Apple, you are slipping very badly. Fix it.
Up to almost 10,000 “me too” reports on apple’s support site (on the one thread I checked. There may be more).

This audio issue happens to me as well and seems to only occur when I use the phone outside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.