Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have not and will not say that this is a non-issue. I do believe all of you having problems, I’ve replaced my IPP’s three times for the left bud going bananas issue, it’s not a perfect product by any means.
For me don't have the myriad of issues being described here. Got my APP toward the beginning of the year.
I just don’t believe most users, me included, don’t notice this problem, or ignore it, or straight out lie about it. I’ve had many calls outdoors by the sea, often in quite windy conditions. I’ve even asked persons I’ve talked to based on what I’ve read in this thread, but everybody I talked to says I sound great. One time I tried to talk while a storm was raging - it didn’t work that well. But that’s expected, there’s only so much microphones can do.
Not everybody will notice or have this issue. But trying to use the APP in a raging storm, yeah, don't think many headphones would fare well.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Not everybody will notice or have this issue. But trying to use the APP in a raging storm, yeah, don't think many headphones would fare well.

But the CNET reviewer wasn’t standing in a raging storm and his voice still cut out. That’s what is worrying people.

Reactions: Pirate!

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
Same issue here. I couldn’t use my AirPods to make any calls to and from work as it’s along a busy road. No one could hear me talk unless I held the phone to my ear. I gave up and bought some XM5 and have had no problems. So it’s definitely an AirPods Pro issues. I’ve also had them replaced once and the fault remains.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Here we go
They seems little better than CNET review, but an overall poor sound quality.

Today I’ll receive my APP2 unit, I sold the APP1 weeks ago.

I’ll keep you updated.

Usually i test the audio quality with the memo recording, the result is very similar to a phone call.

MGcam

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
My APP2 arrived today. Unfortunately I’d already left to go away working for the weekend. I’ll post an update on Monday once I’ve made some calls.

Just to remind people, I didn’t have to be in a noisy environment. It would just amplify background sounds over me. Birds tweeting in a tree, me moving a plastic bag etc.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
So far, with very few test, it does work better than APP1.

I usually test with voice recording memo. When you test you just ask to the person you’re call how the quality is?

Nickjames

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
So far, with very few test, it does work better than APP1.

I usually test with voice recording memo. When you test you just ask to the person you’re call how the quality is?
This sound re-assuring. I don’t know if all countries has it, but in Sweden we have 3 year reclamation right by law. I’ve already had my APP1 replaced twice and was thinking about doing it again so that I can get the money back and buy the new ones.

For me it’s that the people say that they didn’t hear me so that I always have to repeat myself to the extent that I get frustrated and just tell them I’ll call when I get home.

Something I’ve noticed seems to work a bit is if you turn on transparency mode instead of ANC. What is your experience with that?

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
This sound re-assuring. I don’t know if all countries has it, but in Sweden we have 3 year reclamation right by law. I’ve already had my APP1 replaced twice and was thinking about doing it again so that I can get the money back and buy the new ones.

For me it’s that the people say that they didn’t hear me so that I always have to repeat myself to the extent that I get frustrated and just tell them I’ll call when I get home.

Something I’ve noticed seems to work a bit is if you turn on transparency mode instead of ANC. What is your experience with that?

In my country we have 2 year of Warranty, the 1 one offered by the producer the 2nd by the seller. I always purchase from Apple, so i got 2 year of warranty directly from Apple.

yes, i noticed that too with APP1. I think it's because with transparency you speak louder. Yesterday with APP2 i tested a couple of call while driving with anc on and they sound beatiful by my side. The anc is definitely better. The people i was talking with said that the audio was clesr & crisp. But i've got to test them in a louder ambient than a car, definetely.

MGcam

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
I’ve never had to ask anyone how the call quality was. They’ve told me. They’ve said what the hell is that noise or I’ve had people from call centres call me and then apologise because they can’t hear what I’m saying because of the background noise etc.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I’ve never had to ask anyone how the call quality was. They’ve told me. They’ve said what the hell is that noise or I’ve had people from call centres call me and then apologise because they can’t hear what I’m saying because of the background noise etc.

Can you describe the environment condition when this happen? I suppose that in a silence room all is ok.

Does this happen while are you walking outside or, for example, while driving?

MGcam

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016
For me driving is fine. I can drive in a car or even a Land Rover Defender and it’s fine. It’s definitely when I’m outside.

If I’m walking along a road and a car drives past, then forget it. But even in a country park with trees around. If theees birds in the trees tweeting, the caller may say that it sounds like the bird is sat on my shoulder, when in reality it’s at least 30 metres away, probably more.

Reactions: Jutah and sorgo †

Maclife80

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
I have the AirPods Pro 2 now. And I can say that the Mic is still not working well at all. I tested it with a voice recording and it still sounds very bad every sound that I make still gets transferred via the AirPods. Very disappointed

Nickjames

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
I have the AirPods Pro 2 now. And I can say that the Mic is still not working well at all. I tested it with a voice recording and it still sounds very bad every sound that I make still gets transferred via the AirPods. Very disappointed
Damn shame… I just managed to get the money back from my original AirPods Pro purchase, but I guess it will be the same story haha. I guess I can be happy over better ANC

Maclife80

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
An update. I took some calls today with the APP2 outside. The mic is a bit better than with the APP1 but far from "good" perfect.

AdriftAtlas

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
The CNET review demonstrates the exact same issue on APP2. His voice is being muffled by the noise. If there was a way to turn off and/or reduce noise filtering/AGC his voice would likely be more comprehensible.

Reactions: Jutah

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
I am getting them tomorrow. I ditched the first gen due to the mic quality…..

based on this YouTuber, I thought I might give them a try, it seems the level noise makes a difference.

many reviews uses the voice recording all. Which uses a higher quality (bit Rate)Bluetooth profile, A2DP. A call should be using the lower quality full duplex bluetooth headset or handsfree profile. is this corrrect?

anyways, this zoom call experiment might be a little bit more accurate. I can’t imagine he AirPods team didn’t improve this… but I am hoping it’s isn’t still bad. Otherwise I will stick to My AirPods 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jutah

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
For me driving is fine. I can drive in a car or even a Land Rover Defender and it’s fine. It’s definitely when I’m outside.

If I’m walking along a road and a car drives past, then forget it. But even in a country park with trees around. If theees birds in the trees tweeting, the caller may say that it sounds like the bird is sat on my shoulder, when in reality it’s at least 30 metres away, probably more.
Used to get those complaints too but the "voice isolation mode" (I believe it needs an A12 or newer, so iPhone XS and up) really does a good job of taking care of that once I discovered and started using the setting.

Sorry if that's something you're already using but I feel it's worth mentioning.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Used to get those complaints too but the "voice isolation mode" (I believe it needs an A12 or newer, so iPhone XS and up) really does a good job of taking care of that once I discovered and started using the setting.

Sorry if that's something you're already using but I feel it's worth mentioning.
The isolation mode works just with video/audio calls, FaceTime, WhatsApp and similar. Bummer.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Sadly, after the first tests, I have to say that the device (APP2) is completely faulty when you are in noise environment like train/subway.

The voice is really muffled, the people on the other hand can barely hear what you say.

Last edited:

Heiner030

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2017
Sadly, after the first tests, I have to say that the device is completely faulty when you are in noise environment like train/subway.

The voice is really muffled, the people on the other hand can barely hear what you say.
yeah the APP 1st gen are completley unusable for phone calls / whatsapp calls on a noisy / windy street

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
yeah the APP 1st gen are completley unusable for phone calls / whatsapp calls on a noisy / windy street

I was talking about the the 2nd gen! They improved a little bit from the 1st gen but the mic audio quality is still awful

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Sadly, after the first tests, I have to say that the device (APP2) is completely faulty when you are in noise environment like train/subway.

Thank you very much for posting this.

I will not be buying APP2.

Apple are producing rubbish, and not listening to consumers who are making it very obvious that this is a sub-standard product.

Apple's own thread on this exact topic, is now up to 13000+ people with the same problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813242

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.