AirPods Production Said to Begin in December in Limited Quantities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 11, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ever since Apple delayed the launch of its all-new AirPods beyond the late October timeframe it originally promised, saying it needed "a little more time" before they are ready for customers, there have been conflicting rumors about when the wireless earphones will actually be released.

[​IMG]

The latest word comes from investment bank Barclays, which in a research note we saw said AirPods should enter production in December. That means AirPods could still feasibly be released in time for the final weeks of the holiday shopping season, although a January 2017 launch as previously rumored, or later, is possible.

Barclays said the initial production run will be "fairly small," totaling between 10 million and 15 million AirPods to start. Depending on demand, the limited supply could result in a scenario where AirPods stock is quickly depleted upon launch, resulting in extended shipping estimates akin to a new iPhone launch.

Earlier this week, an employee at Apple reseller Conrad reportedly told a customer it will receive AirPods stock on November 17. As we noted at the time, it is entirely possible the employee provided inaccurate information. Apple lists AirPods as both "coming soon" and "currently unavailable" on different parts of its website.

Article Link: AirPods Production Said to Begin in December in Limited Quantities

2. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

4. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Apple can't even ship a pair of head phones. RIP Steve

5. 2010mini macrumors 601

Wonder what the hold up is? These really should've been ready the same time as the iPhone 7

6. pradeepbabloo macrumors member

pradeepbabloo

I do not think they can sell all of those 10 million.

7. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I wonder what the delay was, W1? Software?

I really want these for xmas gift

8. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

January makes the most sense. There will be a great sense of disappointment if they run out of a very tiny supply before the holidays.

9. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

So, basically, all these "experts" have as much of a clue as we do.

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Weird that they announced the delay at the last minute considering they were so far from being ready to ship. Surely they knew way before?

11. xander49x macrumors member

xander49x

I was look foward to having a pair of them, but yet again Apple has disipointed again, time to lower the bar. I miss the old Apple.

12. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Every pair of bluetooth headphone I've used has connections issues and cuts out when my phone is on the wrong side of my body or in my left pocket, and has terrible sound quality. I finally gave up with bluetooth after trying the new Bose QC30s. Hopefully Apple is doing their best to provide us with a solid product.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Here comes the "Steve Jobs" comments, where he has zero influence on something we don't even know why they were delayed to begin with. Misfortunes happened under Steve too. But I'm sure it's easier using him as leverage for posts like this.

14. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Gotta create artificial demand, right? ;)

15. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Jobs couldn't ship a white iPhone. RIP your memory.

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Are any apple products not debuted in limited quantities? lol

17. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

I agree, there is absolutely no chance that 1% of the billion iPhone users, not to count Mac, iPod, iPad, Watch, etc., not to count any non Apple smartphone or PC users looking for such a Bluetooth device, will ever buy any. No, never, not at all.

/s

18. EvSween macrumors member

I'm just sitting over here waiting on Beats X. :D I fear -as others have said- that Apple will delay Beats X until the AirPods are released. Apple wins either way, but the AirPods are Apple's signature earbuds. It's a shame the release has been so delayed.

19. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Apple really botched everything this year.
    50 days and still my phone has not been shipped. Now if i want these earphones I would have to wait until after the holidays if I am no one of the early adopters.Heck even the new macs are already started to slip.

Do these earphones only work with apple products?

20. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

Keep in mind that Apple probably capacities for something less than peak demand in order to avoid overcapacitization. They build somewhat ahead to build a launch buffer then run full out for a time before initial demand levels, they cut overtime and they meet ongoing demand with installed capacity.

21. lenard macrumors 6502

Stop listerning to these various people claiming to know when Apple will ship a product. ASK Apple, they know...

22. EvSween macrumors member

Whatever happened, it must've occurred or been discovered rather late in the game. Either that, or Apple genuinely believed they could remedy the situation before the 27th. How wrong they were.

23. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

And if they had shipped them on time but not great you would have also written a eulogy.

24. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

They work with everything. But only Apple products have "easy pairing".

But I totally agree Apple botched the removal of the headphone jack. For those to whom the removal really makes a difference, they sacrificed a lot of early good will by not offering at launch what promises to be a reasonable substitute, not to mention lead customers burnt of early BT experiences back to the trough.

By now, anyone with an iPhone 7 will be used to using their old headphones and 3.5mm adapter if they need cross-platform compatibility, like with their Mac, and have gotten used to doing it that way, not to mention it's a lot less expensive than Lightning or BT upgrades.

25. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k