Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zombietooth

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Houston
I bought two pairs of AirPods at the Apple Store. Kept one for myself (love it) and the other one I sold yesterday via Craigslist for $350. So basically someone paid me to own my current pair. Gotta love supply and demand...and crazy people.
[doublepost=1482337290][/doublepost]
To see the AirPods battery life on Apple Watch they need to be connected to the watch itself and not the phone if not it won't show up.
It shows up in your battery widget.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
To see the AirPods battery life on Apple Watch they need to be connected to the watch itself and not the phone if not it won't show up.
That's the beauty of the iPhone/watch integration. My AirPods are connected to my phone, not my watch. The watch can still see them and report on the battery.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
"Water tests were also conducted on the AirPods, including a washing and drying cycle that confirmed the headphones and the case will survive and function as expected even after accidentally including them in a load of laundry. The channel's ultimate stress test was five minute submersion under one foot of water."
Erm, I'd say the washing machine was actually the ultimate stress test there!

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm surprised MR hasn't picked up on the 9to5 Mac story about the odd Lightning/USB-C port connection.

It looks like an Apple design that missed the quality control phase.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I could have ordered a pair or two last week but didn't because I wanted to read more reviews first before buying. Knowing I could have made a few hundred bucks, I wish I had ordered some.

Reactions: nighthawk67

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Damn, these are fundamentally still £30 sounding headphones that I really like but you would be crazy to pay over RRP.

Forgetting the SQ of these, they are very light, fit is a personal issue, have a very good mic and have excellent BT connectivity . The charging case is great to keep the battery charged up and keep them safe.

Okay, they look weird, but in my case not an issue as my hair covers my ears. If I had short hair.....dunno.
The EarPods sound pretty good to be honest. They are balanced and don't exaggerate anything, which for me is quite favourable. In my opinion, I'd say the EarPods are actually underpriced for how nice they are.

Reviews are saying the AirPods are slightly better, and if that's truly the case, add on the convenience of wireless, the charging solution, and the tight Integration... 120 bucks isn't bad at all, and is still less than the competition which is pretty bad as of right now.

You're right though - anybody paying extra to get them early isn't being terribly smart with their money.

I **** all over the AirPods when they were first coming out but reviews have confirmed that they're actually pretty great.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Can anyone with the AirPods tell me if you can adjust the volume using Siri during a phone call? I checked out many reviews on youtube but still have not found an answer.

I really dislike that they do not have a way to physically adjust the volume like the EarPods and some other BT headsets have (meaning without touching the phone or AW).

If you have to touch the headphones to turn down the volume (such as the current EarPods), whats the difference between that and clicking the volume buttons on your iPhone in your pocket? Or if you iPhone is in a tight pocket/backpack, the Apple Watch? My point is, both scenarios require a free hand and physical movement.

But I think I see what you're saying, it definitely was convenient. But I think it is just as easy to reach into your pocket and click the volume button (or use the AW crown) to adjust volume, and this tiny inconvenience is outweighed by the massive benefit of losing the wires IMO. This, plus having an Apple Watch, was why the no physical volume control on the AirPods was not a deal breaker for me. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: chrisbru

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
CAN WE GET OVER A HEADPHONE? THANKS. so much drama about it.

Thousands of youtube videos about this ****.

Unboxings like people are having orgasms...

Is this humans have turned into? about a stupid bluetooth device?

If you want it...buy it...if not dont buy it...Simple....If Apple makes feces people are gonna unbox it and make a big deal if it is good or not. Most just want views, show off, anyway. I'm done about all these news of AirPods...going crazy.

It's a forum. Get used to it. LOL

Last edited:

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
they look just as they did before....just without the cord ;) (you will get used to it)

I agree with this. Give it 6mos (if even that), and these (along with other bluetooth/wireless headphones) will be mainstream enough that people will have adjusted by then.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I agree with this. Give it 6mos (if even that), and these (along with other bluetooth/wireless headphones) will be mainstream enough that people will have adjusted by then.
LOL! Bluetooth headphone have been around for years. I had a pair of Motorola bluetooth headphones I won from Macworld nearly 8 years ago. Wired headphones aren't going anywhere.
This is like people claiming the apple watch was going to make the already existing smart watches mainstream. Meanwhile they only still only have like a 2% market share.

Tmybrgr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I got mine from BB (day after order thanks BB) and I have to say they are pretty amazing. The worst part of BT is the fussy pairing process and these literally pair upon opening and I paired all of my devices and switching is super easy. I love them for that alone. But they are extremely well built, the case and magnetic feel is classic Apple they just feel worth $159. Most headphones come with larger cases/connecting wire etc and are just somewhat cumbersome. I have a BT headset with the connecting wire and to me they just don't feel as nice as the airpods. These are very light and I can't wear Earpods they fall out and these fit fine so there is a slight difference to the shape of these just enough where they fit my ears perfectly. I was excited for this because Earpods hurt my ears and fall out.

Yes they look strange but oh well whatever in a few months when more people have them it will be the norm. Sound is great. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these sound particularly when both are in and in stereo. Though podcasts on one is just fine as well. Stopping the music/podcast automatically is another great feature and that seems meh but given that I have to do this many times a day at work it is really a time saver not having to take the phone out and go to the settings for the app etc.

The downsides, the lack of volume control using touch on the airpod seems like an overlooked item but then again it also appears to be typical Apple hold back to put in version 2. That would be the best thing to add. The tap for siri works but there is a lag until she comes on and then performs the function so it seems clunky to me.

Overall these are excellent, well worth the $159 given what the competition charges for truly wireless, and in classic Apple fashion they nailed the little things that make BT annoying and this adds up to a great product overall. I highly recommend.

Reactions: Caviar_X

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Every time I see the AirPods I wonder if they got their inspiration from the old bluetooth headset sticks. Very similar.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
="Kaspersky, post: 24100387, member: 788819"]http://www.dictionary.com/browse/concurrence?s=t
AND YES, THEY SUCK BALLS! It's just the same old iPhone's headphones, now wireless

iPhone was never sold with headphones, it was sold with earpods. Headphones are different category.
The use of concurrence on your case makes absolutely no sense. You meant competition and you trying now to cover your silly mistake by bringing some dictionary definition for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
CAN WE GET OVER A HEADPHONE? THANKS. so much drama about it.

Thousands of youtube videos about this ****.

Unboxings like people are having orgasms...

Is this humans have turned into? about a stupid bluetooth device?

If you want it...buy it...if not dont buy it...Simple....If Apple makes feces people are gonna unbox it and make a big deal if it is good or not. Most just want views, show off, anyway. I'm done about all these news of AirPods...going crazy.

Dude.. this is a FORUM. Forums are where people TALK. This is an APPLE forum... people are talking about an APPLE product... It's not like these things are all over CNN, Fox, MSNBC, BBC, etc.. and posters and billboards are posted everywhere you look. If you don't like it, stop visiting the site dude.

You must get really angry on days when it rains and everyone talks about the rain.

edit: yes I am feeding the troll :D

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Curious...

Have you tried a phone call with them yet? If so, how is the reported sound quality at the other end of the call?

Also, I assume you can use a single AirPod when taking a phone call. Is that true?
Yes you can. Mine are coming on the 12th but my friend ordered his from Verizon and plans on using it like a regular Bluetooth headset for phone calls.

Reactions: citysnaps

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Curious...

Have you tried a phone call with them yet? If so, how is the reported sound quality at the other end of the call?

Also, I assume you can use a single AirPod when taking a phone call. Is that true?

Yes I have, though only a few calls. I just made a call just now, and the person said it was very good, i pointed out that I was testing the new airpots. The phone was in one office room and I went to another room.

I used both airpods for the phone call.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
LOL! Bluetooth headphone have been around for years. I had a pair of Motorola bluetooth headphones I won from Macworld nearly 8 years ago. Wired headphones aren't going anywhere.
This is like people claiming the apple watch was going to make the already existing smart watches mainstream. Meanwhile they only still only have like a 2% market share.

I never said bluetooth/wireless headphones were new. I said that people walking around with AirPods in their ears haven't gone mainstream yet, so they will look weird at first. I only included "other bluetooth/wireless headphones" because I do believe that sales will explode this holiday season, that's my opinion)
And I also never claimed wired headphones were going anywhere. I agree with you there, I used wired headphones at home. But on the go? Wireless is the best choice IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.