Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Hey, guys and gals.
Did anyone happen to check software update recently? There's a new airport update. My MBP C2D finally connects to my school's network! I'm willing to bet that this solves the preferred network issues, too. My MBP would rarely autoconnect at home or the coffee shop. I'll have to go get some coffee later to try it out.
:D

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
It seems to be working OK on my iMac so far, haven't had a chance to install it on the MB yet. Hopefully this will finally fix all of the connection dropouts.

bujjai2007

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
Boston, MA
Hey, guys and gals.
Did anyone happen to check software update recently? There's a new airport update. My MBP C2D finally connects to my school's network! I'm willing to bet that this solves the preferred network issues, too. My MBP would rarely autoconnect at home or the coffee shop. I'll have to go get some coffee later to try it out.

Do you have a harddisk connected to the AEBS ? If so, are you able to mount it reliably ?

TIA

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Thanks for pointing out the update. I've been having issues losing connections to my AEBS (not the Pre-N). I hope this fixes it!

Nuc

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Sadly this has absolutely trashed the wireless on my MB C2D, I cannot get any AirPort connection now at all no matter what I try. I guess I'm going to have to downgrade out of this update somehow. Funny that it works with my iMac CD connecting to the same router using the same settings, but not at all with the MB. Oh well.

<EDIT> After checking out everything, it was time to simply ditch my 3 year old D-Link wireless router. Evidently the wireless cards in the Intel based Macs just don't seem to get along well with older D-Link routers for some reason. Anyways, after picking up a dirt cheap new Belkin 54g router, everything is now working perfectly again.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I don't think this is just for the AEBS. My university uses WEP on its wifi, and until today I couldn't reliably connect (if at all).

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
airport updates

Has anyone noticed that the new aiport updates for intel macs seems to have fixed the wireless issues on the 24" (well mine at least).

For the first time it reports that I'm connected at 48MB and that I have nearly full signal.

It really pisses me off because I went out and bought 1GB switch and routed myself through my server!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
After the last 2 for the Mini trashing my wireless, I'm a little gunshy. Waiting for comments....

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
AirPort Extreme Update 2007-002

Apple released Airport Extreme Update 2007-002 yesterday:

This update is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and improves compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks.

This update includes the content from the AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001, and addresses a security issue as described in:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305031

This update also improves compatibility for the MacBook Core 2 Duo and the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo when using certain third-party access points configured to use WEP Open System security.

charmin

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
I hadn't even noticed an update, but I'll definitely be trying this out when I get home.

If Apple have fixed this in a software update, they'll have redeemed themselves in my eyes.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Has anyone noticed that the new aiport updates for intel macs seems to have fixed the wireless issues on the 24" (well mine at least)!

Yes! It appears to have fixed the issues with my 20in C2D iMac. The Airport had been unusable because it kept timing out -- 20 or 30 seconds pauses, before the connection would resume. If I was downloading a large file it would time out. Web pages would be shown as being 'unavailable'.

It seems to be working, but the test will come when the kids next door come home and boot-up their X-box, which seems to have an adverse affect. Here's hoping :)

(Still, nice to be finally able to use all the hardware I paid for when I bought my iMac...)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Suwanee, GA
Has anybody else tried this update? I would have thought that people would have been all over it, and am surprised at so few responses. I have been holding off on buying a Macbook until this is fixed, and would like to know more experiences with this update.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I just didn't happen to see it! This news has potentially made my day, which was otherwise very sour.

I have stopped posting recently here because I had nothing to talk about... I had to roll back to 10.4.7 to get any functionality from airport and nothing new on the OS X front has interested me since Apple took ages to fix what I considered a horrendous bug that made my intel core duo imac a useless brick under 10.4.8.

Run on sentence for a run on problem :p

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Suwanee, GA
Based on previous problems that people have had with these updates, I would highly recommend cloning before the update so that you can easily get back to where you were in case it doesn't work.

Jimmni

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Another update that fails to add the ability to specify a WEP key index other than 1. Damn you Apple, I want to use my Mac at work!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I saw the title of the article and was getting excited that maybe it was an update for the Airport Extreme Base Station...bummer for the most part I like the base station, but it sure has some bugs, quarks and can be fussy.

anyhow I hope the update goes well for ya'll

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Funny, as soon as I updated to 10.4.8, the connection on my intel imac core duo cut out after the first prompted reset, and it "couldn't find" my preferred network all of a sudden. I reconnected from the drop down list on the menu bar, which usually doesn't work without a reset. Then I downloaded all of the post-10.4.8 updates that are only available after 10.4.8, including the new airport update.

I reset as it instructed me, and I have no drop outs (yet).

Cross fingers... :D

I will report as soon as the connection drops out. Historical precedence is telling me that it is imminent under 10.4.8.

charmin

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
This has definitely improved the state of my 24" C2D.

Until now I could only get 6 bars in internet connect. I'm currently getting 10 (out of a possible 15).

My PB G4 right next to it still gets 15, so I don't know if this is due to the design of the iMac vs the PB with the antenna in the lid or still a firmware problem.

abadr

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
London, England
issues with iMac 24" FIXED

Woop!

I now get proper speeds from airport on my 24" iMac.

No more 300kbps rubbish.

At last.

I was having issues with a Netgear DG834N but now working perfectly.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Still getting dropouts after update. This sucks! You would think that apple could make a product compatible with their own AEBS....

Nuc

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Ok, so here is the deal, the first airport update of the year fixed a problem that I had with connecting to an older 802.11a access point I have (When ever WEP was enabled, I was not able to connect). Now this new update broke that. Is there a way to downgrade to the other previous update?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Suwanee, GA
Ok, so here is the deal, the first airport update of the year fixed a problem that I had with connecting to an older 802.11a access point I have (When ever WEP was enabled, I was not able to connect). Now this new update broke that. Is there a way to downgrade to the other previous update?
Based on previous problems that people have had with these updates, I would highly recommend cloning before the update so that you can easily get back to where you were in case it doesn't work. Unfortunately I don't know what to do if you don't have a backup.

freeman24

Aug 14, 2006
This update is amazing! My 24" C2D is running at full strength! no more crappy connections!! Well done Apple!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.