AirPower and New AirPods Said to Ship in First Half of 2019, New iPod Touch With Faster Processor Also Expected

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's long-awaited AirPower wireless charging mat and a new version of AirPods with wireless charging support and upgraded Bluetooth connectivity will start shipping in the first half of 2019, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo also expects a new iPod touch with a faster processor to launch in 2019.

While there's been a flurry of recent rumors about the AirPower and 2nd generation AirPods, there have also been conflicting reports on the possible launch dates for the two products. One recent report specifically placed the launch of the new AirPods in the fall of 2019. We were skeptical about that report at the time, and now Kuo gives another reason to believe that the new AirPods and AirPower will be shipping in the first half of this year.

Article Link: AirPower and New AirPods Said to Ship in First Half of 2019, New iPod Touch With Faster Processor Also Expected

Pepe4life

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2018
My 2 year old AirPods no longer last more than an hour per charge. Apple expects me to spend the money equivalent to a brand new pair to get it “fixed”.
If Tim thinks earphones is a subscription-based product that costs consumers $80+ per year, then I’m out.

Aston441

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Probably the same design with an A10 chip.
Processor doesn't matter. The current iPod touch 6 has one gig ram. They need to bump all devices they sell currently to 2gigs ram so they can drop support for the iPhone 6 in October, using "insufficient hardware" as the excuse to force upgrade everyone.

Where's my analyst check? Anyone want to hire me?

Reactions: Marekul

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
My 2 year old AirPods no longer last more than an hour per charge. Apple expects me to spend the money equivalent to a brand new pair to get it “fixed”.
If Tim thinks earphones is a subscription-based product that costs consumers $80+ per year, then I’m out.
I see your point but aren’t all commodities like that including your car. Everything can be divided per duration cost and it will make it seem like a subscription service.

ralpa

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
I see your point but aren’t all commodities like that including your car. Everything can be divided per duration cost and it will make it seem like a subscription service.
My beats x earphones got broken twice in a year. Two months after warranty expired it didn’t work again, just couldn’t switch on

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I hope Tim Cook has the “courage” to drop the 3.5mm jack from the iPod! Sound quality is so 2015 guys... lossy music is the new lossless
The iPod Touch is already relegated to a back shelf in a dank corner of the Apple Stores. Why update it if not adding some new compelling feature that justifies putting back on the floor? That probably means the 3.5mm headphone jack gets dropped. Though, if any mobile device continues to support it, the iPod would be it.

I suppose there’s a huge commercial or educational market still driving iPod sales, but it’s hard to imagine why they’re upgrading it otherwise. The one theory I have is that Apple needs a truly entry level device, powerful enough to stream their new TV offerings, giving new customers access to the Apple content for free. So they put this back on the floor as part of their push into media, and it continues to serve whatever market out there which has been relying on it — another reason the headphone jack might be important.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Would be in case that if the car battery dies, the new car battery would cost you the same as new car.
What is strange to me that the left and right AirPod’s battery discharge on mine, is about 5% different. No idea why since I always use them at the same time

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
What is strange to me that the left and right AirPod’s battery discharge on mine, is about 5% different. No idea why since I always use them at the same time
One is probably acting as a controller and routing the stream to the other one.

Reactions: 0947347

GeoStructural

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I play with the iTouch 6
Processor doesn't matter. The current iPod touch 6 has one gig ram. They need to bump all devices they sell currently to 2gigs ram so they can drop support for the iPhone 6 in October, using "insufficient hardware" as the excuse to force upgrade everyone.

Where's my analyst check? Anyone want to hire me?
I play with the iTouch 6 every time I go to the Apple Store... it is laggy as h€ll. Sluggish device. It needs both RAM and processor bump, specially if you consider Apple brands it as a “gaming” device.