AirPower and New AirPods Said to Ship in First Half of 2019, New iPod Touch With Faster Processor Also Expected

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's long-awaited AirPower wireless charging mat and a new version of AirPods with wireless charging support and upgraded Bluetooth connectivity will start shipping in the first half of 2019, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]

Kuo also expects a new iPod touch with a faster processor to launch in 2019.

While there's been a flurry of recent rumors about the AirPower and 2nd generation AirPods, there have also been conflicting reports on the possible launch dates for the two products. One recent report specifically placed the launch of the new AirPods in the fall of 2019. We were skeptical about that report at the time, and now Kuo gives another reason to believe that the new AirPods and AirPower will be shipping in the first half of this year.

Article Link: AirPower and New AirPods Said to Ship in First Half of 2019, New iPod Touch With Faster Processor Also Expected

2. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Probably the same design with an A10 chip.

4. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Well, we're almost half way through the first half of 2019. Getting there!

5. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Heard it all before...

Although there’s been a serious uptick in AirPower related info...still, until any info from Apple, no dice.

6. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

More vague time tables. Everyone hoping for the fabled MacPro revamp are already painfully familiar to this.

7. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

8. Rebel22, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

Rebel22 Suspended

Rebel22

I hope Tim Cook has the “courage” to drop the 3.5mm jack from the iPod! Sound quality is so 2015 guys... lossy music is the new lossless

9. Pepe4life macrumors 6502

Pepe4life

My 2 year old AirPods no longer last more than an hour per charge. Apple expects me to spend the money equivalent to a brand new pair to get it “fixed”.
    If Tim thinks earphones is a subscription-based product that costs consumers $80+ per year, then I’m out.

10. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

Seriously, how many times has this guy's prediction been pushed back? Eventually, he's gonna be right (one of these years)...

11. tCdemon macrumors member

tCdemon

Update: AirPower Mat to ship first half of 2020...I don't care what the "expert" says about the AirPower mat...I'll believe it when Apple announces.

12. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Processor doesn't matter. The current iPod touch 6 has one gig ram. They need to bump all devices they sell currently to 2gigs ram so they can drop support for the iPhone 6 in October, using "insufficient hardware" as the excuse to force upgrade everyone.

Where's my analyst check? Anyone want to hire me?

13. calstanford macrumors 6502

God heaven. We went from 'will be released in March' to 'first half' which we all know means June 30, which we all know with Tim Cook Apple means December 31 2021.

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

the airpods really aren't worth it considering the low battery endurance and the high replacement cost

15. kstotlani macrumors 6502a

I see your point but aren’t all commodities like that including your car. Everything can be divided per duration cost and it will make it seem like a subscription service.

16. ralpa macrumors regular

ralpa

My beats x earphones got broken twice in a year. Two months after warranty expired it didn’t work again, just couldn’t switch on

17. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

The iPod Touch is already relegated to a back shelf in a dank corner of the Apple Stores. Why update it if not adding some new compelling feature that justifies putting back on the floor? That probably means the 3.5mm headphone jack gets dropped. Though, if any mobile device continues to support it, the iPod would be it.

I suppose there’s a huge commercial or educational market still driving iPod sales, but it’s hard to imagine why they’re upgrading it otherwise. The one theory I have is that Apple needs a truly entry level device, powerful enough to stream their new TV offerings, giving new customers access to the Apple content for free. So they put this back on the floor as part of their push into media, and it continues to serve whatever market out there which has been relying on it — another reason the headphone jack might be important.

18. 0947347 Suspended

Would be in case that if the car battery dies, the new car battery would cost you the same as new car.
    What is strange to me that the left and right AirPod’s battery discharge on mine, is about 5% different. No idea why since I always use them at the same time

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'll buy the new iPod Touch the week it comes out.

The battery in my iPod Touch 6 barely holds a charge anymore.

20. usarioclave macrumors 65816

One is probably acting as a controller and routing the stream to the other one.

21. kingpushup macrumors regular

Really only expected by June per Kuo.. Could be delayed a bit again.. again..

22. citysnaps macrumors 601

Relax. Take a few deep breaths. It’s just a tech product. Life goes on.

23. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

These are just speculation.

24. lenard macrumors 6502

25. GeoStructural macrumors regular

GeoStructural

I play with the iTouch 6
    I play with the iTouch 6 every time I go to the Apple Store... it is laggy as h€ll. Sluggish device. It needs both RAM and processor bump, specially if you consider Apple brands it as a “gaming” device.