Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The calendar has turned over to a new year and Apple has officially failed to deliver on its promise of releasing the AirPower mat in 2018.

airpoweriphone8.jpg

Apple first previewed the multi-device wireless charging accessory at Steve Jobs Theater in September 2017, shortly after introducing the iPhone X, and indicated that it would be released at some point last year in a press release:
Apple gave a sneak peek of AirPower, an Apple-designed wireless charging accessory coming in 2018, which offers a generous active charging area that will allow iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X customers to simultaneously charge up to three devices, including Apple Watch Series 3 and a new optional wireless charging case for AirPods.
2018 has come and gone, though, and Apple has not commented on the AirPower for many months. Following its September 2018 event, the company removed all but a few mentions of the accessory from its website.

AirPower is still referenced in the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR user guides, on the Apple Watch Series 3 tech specs page, and in some recent Apple job listings, while Apple has recently applied for a few AirPower-related patents, so there remains some hope for a future release despite the missed deadline.

Sonny Dickson, a source of iPhone leaks in the past, said Apple has faced technical challenges with the AirPower, including overheating. A few days ago, developer Steve Troughton-Smith said he's heard Apple may have overcome those problems and can hopefully move forward with releasing the AirPower.

Where is AirPower? 🤷‍♂️ All I've been hearing is 'they've finally fixed it', so, if true, it could ship as a product whenever Apple wants. Hopefully alongside the smart battery case for the XS? - Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) December 31, 2018

In a late October research note obtained by MacRumors, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo wrote that Apple may launch the AirPower "in late 4Q18 or early 1Q19," suggesting that the AirPower could be released as late as March.

The delayed or canceled release of the AirPower is likely the reason why Apple has yet to release its optional wireless charging case for AirPods, which remains listed as "currently unavailable" on Apple's website. Like the AirPower, Kuo had said the wireless case may be released by the first quarter of 2019.

appleairpower.jpg

At this point, it's a game of wait and see. With the holiday season in the rearview mirror, hopefully Apple provides some clarity on the situation soon.

Article Link: AirPower Misses Promised 2018 Launch, But Might Not Be Canceled

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I was excited for this when they announced it but at this point I really don’t care anymore. I decided to stay with my iPhone 7 for awhile so this is almost useless to me. My Apple Watch has a nice charging stand already and my AirPods just share my iPhone dock as neither needs to be charged all that often.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is one of the few times I remember apple announcing a product that doesn't seem like it will come to fruition.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
We can watch the launch only on the TV from Apple ... the one where they cracked it. It’s ok to have also some stuff finally not making it to market. There are enough other charger out there. Actually I saw last time one including USB C hub and QI charger. That one would actually a real space saver for my office desk, but can’t find in the country of my residence. One device to fulfill all my charging and connectivity needs during a normal day.

Reactions: brendu

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It's too late. A lot of people don't care about this product anymore. They took too long. Everyone has a wireless charger or two already.

I agree. This product would have sold if released alongside or at least very soon after the iPhone 8/X launch which were the first iPhones with wireless capabilty. Right now, like you said, anyone with an Apple phone who wanted wireless charging already has one, at a fraction of the price this thing would cost.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
It's too late. A lot of people don't care about this product anymore. They took too long. Everyone has a wireless charger or two already.

They also killed the sale of AirPods to people like me who were looking for wireless earphones but didn't want to wait on the new vapourware edition.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
YEAH BABY.
THE BEST OR NOTHING
[doublepost=1546440968][/doublepost]
i dont have, i wait for the premium one, not some cheap devices
ONE PAD TO CHARGE THEM ALL

You actually want a wireless pad? But are waiting for a premium one.... you know there are premium charging pads out there if just want to throw $$$ away. They All do the same thing . You can pay a lot more than an Apple lightening cable if you want “premium” ;)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The only way I would be interested in this is if they somehow secretly embedded wireless charging into the iPad Pro. But there is no way they did that and so this will be too little, too late. And too expensive.

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I've spent the last year enjoying watching this ongoing farce but now I have an XR and an Apple Watch so this would actually be useful to me. I wish they'd hurry up with it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.