AirPower to Launch in 'Late March' According to DigiTimes Sources

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2019.

1. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

I believe he's talking about in addition to, rather than instead of, the mat. So not really egocentric at all.

I think it's a great idea.

2. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

4. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

5. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

The next thought will be how much money did I spend on this again? Doh!

6. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

If that is the case, about the 15w, Apple kept that a well kept secret.

7. Cat Servant macrumors newbie

Me thinks that anshuvorty is doing a bit of trolling.

Guilherme Rambo who works for another rumor site wrote that he found code pertaining to AirPower in the latest iOS 12 beta.

So either a) Apple is doing a head fake and put in references to AirPower just mess with people and/or b) Guilherme Rambo is just making it up or is wrong in what he saw.

Or maybe c) Apple put the AirPower references in the latest beta because they are still working on AirPower and intend on releasing the product.

I’m interested in how Apple handled the product not being released, which is to say, they did not respond at all. Nothing official. How many other products has Apple “pre-announced” and then not met the delivery AND not provided any update? I don’t know the answer to that.

So how to take the silence thus far? Apple has undoubtedly made the assessment that they are not going to be harmed or otherwise suffer by not providing an update on AirPower. Perhaps because it’s not a “major” product such as iPhone, iPad or Mac, HomePod, Watch, etc - they are not going to provide a senior executive being quoted on the delays.

But Apple has to know that when they send executives out during/after the WWDC that at least one Mac blogger or tech reporter will ask about AirPower. What’s the Apple exec going to do - pretend they did not hear the question? Say I can’t discuss it? What?

Perhaps Apple does a soft release of AirPower next week and then provides a senior exec to discuss the technology they used and the challenges they faced. I would be surprised if it comes up during the Monday Event, but who knows. Apple does what they do, and for reasons only they know.

8. johnnygee macrumors regular

johnnygee

Because of the delays, I bought two Samsung Qi cradles last year and someone gave me a corporate swag disk charger a few weeks ago. They all work adequately, so I won't be purchasing this, which is bound to be overpriced anyway.

9. bigboyz12000 macrumors regular

bigboyz12000

Its like that feeling you get when you are told you won something. Then come to find out you didn't hahaha! Wamp Wamp Wamp!

10. mikethemartian macrumors 6502a

Just another object for a cat to sleep on.

11. domhoenig macrumors regular

Can’t imagine Apple would do code deployment this way, they’d have multiple branches of beta running concurrently.

12. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

If the Apple Watch didn’t use a proprietary charging method, we would’ve had AirPower a long time ago.

13. FlyGuyDEN macrumors regular

FlyGuyDEN

A great concept but doubtful Apple would ever add functionality to something they could charge for later. I'd love to see them incorporate wireless charging into the MBPs. I think that's more probable.

14. RemE macrumors regular

RemE

Ya, but my iPhones, watches, even iPods have all been black. All my accessories are also black, but are not apple for that reason. Apple makes black stuff, so why stop on the accessories, you know, like the things that get dirty??

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

You’re probably right, but why on Earth did it take them, what has it been, like 2 years? To make something that’s been on the market for ages? You’d think that there must be something special about it.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Because it’s not just a regular wireless charger.

17. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

They didn't say which year.

Mac users are used to that one.

18. rubenhas macrumors newbie

rubenhas

I'm kind of surprised that the source code image is not showcasing an Apple Watch as well.. Maybe they had to settle for less Qi coils?

19. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

This is the difference in Apple and most other brands. Apple, like it not, still drives a lot of buzz with their product launches.

20. Khedron macrumors 68000

TBH I think most of the interest is rubbernecking the car crash. Not many people honestly care about wirelessly charging multiple Apple products but only using a single pad and which costs the equivalent of 10+ pads anyway.

21. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I would agree with that. IMHO, there just isn’t a whole lot in the electronics world that is overtly exciting. Even the foldable screen concepts aren’t exciting in the way new smartphone (iPhone) launches used to be.

22. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Well, 'late March' is NOW.

They must be taking lessons from the Highway building state organizations, where 'early in the year' means before Dec 25.

Why doesn't Apple just fess up and say 'end of March'

-

23. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

AirPower! 50 times fatter than a cord and 200 times slower!! Wooohoo! It’s MAGICAL!

24. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon