AirPower to Launch in 'Late March' According to DigiTimes Sources

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2019.

1. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I still find smartphone launches interesting. I like watching the September reveal very much. Usually watch on my iPhone with a Bluetooth headset.

Apple obviously thinks there is a market for this. Never underestimate Apple, they do their homework.

2. PickUrPoison, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019

PickUrPoison Suspended

What does the distance have to do with anything? AirPower means it’s powered by the air, duh.

It’s really good for when you get stranded on a deserted island and there’s no power outlet to plug into. You will want this when that happens, trust me... otherwise you won’t be able to call anyone for help and you will be stuck there. So it’s good to have for just such an emergency.

3. GuruZac, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019

GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Agreed. My wife and I still watch the Keynote every September on Apple TV. If you notice, I said not a whole lot meaning certain items still do excite me. :D iPhone launch, iPad Pro updates, MacBook Pro updates, Apple Watch updates. Mostly Apple stuff still is exciting. But there was a kind of magic when Steve Jobs walked out in 2007-2011 and I think it’s still exciting to see what is new with iPhone especially because it’s a so central to everything I do, whether for work, school, social, banking, photography, news. iPhone is the hub of info for me.

4. ke-iron macrumors 65816

You’re just here to try and trash the product. But the AirPower will sell like iPhones when it’s released. Being able to charge anywhere on the mat, showing all devices charging progress on the iPhone screen, sleek form factor all sounds like a win to me. I’ll be getting a few of these on release day. If you’re worried about price then don’t buy Apple products.

5. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I was sold when it was originally announced but after all this time I just don't see a reason to purchase it. It was more or less an impulse buy before because I didn't have anything that wirelessly charged.. now I've got a bunch of things. So unless AirPower is reasonably priced, I can't see me adding it to my current charging collection around the house.

6. Teammm macrumors member

Teammm

Late March, as in March 25 at the Apple event.

7. Peepo macrumors 6502a

How good will this work with my Apple Watch and milanese loop strap?

8. ValO, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019

ValO macrumors 68000

It is a shame they didn’ t release anything the last 2 days.
    I was looking forward to AirPower, iPod touch and a red iPhone XS/max.

To me it looks like a way for apple to get the revenue of q1 up with these kind of releases.
    So after the release of the iMacs, AirPods and iPads, they await preorders, etc. if anticipation is lower than expected, they release the other products. And they wait releasing these other products to get an early boost on q2 revenue.

Apple has been like this the last few years.
    Making and releasing products building towards revenue and projected revenue to silence and please stock holders. They should focus on making great products first and put their users first.

On topic:
    I hope AirPower is something more than just a Qi charger with the ability to place 3 products everywhere on the mat.
    I hope it is a kind of computer that ,when an iPhone is placed on top, the iPhone has to ability to change charge setting of the charger like:

-adjust the amount of charge when you plan to charge for a longer period(while you are sleeping)
    -the ability to stop charging when battery is at 90%.

Options like these improve battery health in the long run.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I reckon it will be 7.5 W.

10. The Game 161 macrumors Core

The Game 161

Which is poor for how much it will cost. When the Samsung wireless duo can charge the S10 from dead in 1 hour, 40 mins while still charging the galaxy watch

I know on a wireless charger it might not matter how fast it charges but if you want a quick charge its great knowing it will charge as quick as a cable

11. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Yes. The only time I use my wireless charger is over night but if I need a top up during the day it has to be a wired charger because the current wireless charging for the iPhone is way too slow.

12. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Depends on how much time a top off requires. I plug my phone for a half- hour prior to sleep, and I’m finding I never charge the phone in the office or the car anymore...on a normal day.

13. Uobio macrumors member

Uobio

I don’t want to trash the product. If it sells like you say, great for them! I’m just complaining about the price policy that they apply lately. I mean in all the products. And you’re right, if I don’t like the prices I should stop buying Apple products, wich I will if this year’s iPhones price will continue to rise. Thank you very much for your advice.

14. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

Even before they launch it! All they did was announcing a new cool wireless charger :D
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2019 ---
    You want me to stop bothering about it? Will all these blogs talking about it? Good luck for both of us with that.

15. zla macrumors member

This is assuming it will even work like that... Qi charging needs to be precise, otherwise the coil will try to inefficiently try to heat up metal objects that aren't the target coil. Many qi charging ICs have build in foreign object detection thresholds... with these off you could heat up a quarter on a qi charger to a point where it is too hot to touch. And that's just a 5w charger...

If they have an array of coils underneath to have "charge anywhere" technology they'd just be turning each one on and seeing which was had the highest efficiency to the target device and selecting that one based on an algorithm... bit of a brute force technique really.. I'd be surprised if they've genuinely innovated and made a breakthrough.

16. PickUrPoison Suspended

Your description of Apple’s implementation isn’t consistent with the patent application I read. But yes, multiple coils; there are reportedly 22.

17. recoil80 macrumors 68030

To be honest I'm more interested in the possibility of a future iPhone to be able to charge the Watch and AirPods by placing them on its back.
    The charge would likely be slow, but would allow people to bring on a trip only the Lighting cable to charge the phone and nothing else.
    AirPower seems like a better choice for a frequent traveler that can bring only the pad and no cables at all, and have a faster charge. It is an additional cost though.

18. ke-iron macrumors 65816

I was thinking a way they could tackle this is by looking at OLED technology and how it individually light pixels. If they can design a way to detect where the device was placed on the mat and turn on only those charging coils under the device or devices, it would be great. They did have a lot of time to figure it out so I’m sure the device will be excellent.

19. chfilm macrumors 68020

chfilm

20. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I know it's not wireless, but I could imagine something that looked the same as AirPower, but with some flush magnetic contact pads, like on the rear of new iPads, where you just place your phone on the mat, and the magnet snaps it into place, and you get full charging speed.
    Ok, so it's not throw in on anywhere you like, but literally would take a slit second more of your time till the magnet grabs it, and your phone would be charged super fast
    Just a thought ;)

21. zla macrumors member

LOL plot twist. Canceled altogether.

22. ke-iron macrumors 65816

I’m so disappointed, can’t believe it.

23. Baymowe335 macrumors 603

Life is hard.