Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
If you are already locked into tile I don’t see that as a reason to switch away. This will be good for apple people just getting into trackers
I have half a dozen Tiles and will be switching them all out for AirTags. Just the difference in the size of the tracking network is enough to get me to switch, never mind that they're much better integrated into iOS than Tile devices will ever be.

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Been using Tiles forever. Used them on my older iphones and on my new Pixel. This does nothing a Tile can't do. The Tile Slim fits in my wallet and has saved my ass several times. Tiles can ring my Android phone as well.

Not sure what the Apple differentiator is here other than "me too."

the difference is that instead of a couple of million tile users that probably don’t have their tile app open is a much smaller number then nearly a billion active iOS devices looking for your item in the background. Plus the whole privacy thing.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
I get that there are reviews out there for them now, but how exactly can they test the full tracking/find my function? Don't iOS devices running 14.5 need to be out in the wild to detect the location? Am I missing something - perhaps current and past iOS versions work too?

Reactions: ignatius345

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
If you are already locked into tile I don’t see that as a reason to switch away. This will be good for apple people just getting into trackers
YMMV but as a previous Tile user, I reckon the chances of the Tile network locating any item I lost anywhere I regularly go would be about zero, I don't think it ever reached the critical mass it needed to do what it set out to achieve - I just relied on it for finding stuff around the house. I don't know anyone outside my immediate family who uses Tile. Of course if you live in a big city, then that maybe ups your chances. However, with AirTags, I'd be certain that my lost items would be pinged within a few hours just about anywhere I might have lost them outdoors - that to me would be a compelling reason to switch regardless of how much I spent on Tiles.

And then we come on to user-replaceable batteries of course, though I do realise that's now an option with Tile.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
So are AirTags useless unless there is an iDevice near them? For instance, if someone takes a device with an AirTag attached, and that person has Android or no phone and drops it in a deserted area, the FindMy app won't find it, right?

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
It's already been reported that it takes multiple days and multiple stops before the AirTag alerts anyone that they might be getting tracked. IOW, as long as you notice that your item is missing within 48 hours, it's not nearly as much of an issue as people seem to think.

And...the alternative is much worse (stalking). There was basically no chance that Apple was going to allow AirTags to infinitely track someone that simply didn't realize a bad guy had stuck a tracker in their belongings.
So what is to stop someone from tracking a spouse they suspect of cheating then?

As long as they come home every night, wouldn't that reset the timer?

Reactions: 708692 and Td1970

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
So are AirTags useless unless there is an iDevice near them? For instance, if someone takes a device with an AirTag attached, and that person has Android or no phone and drops it in a deserted area, the FindMy app won't find it, right?
Yes, the same is true of other tags like Tile. The only difference here is that there are a lot more iPhone users than Tile users.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
from The Verge's review:

This seems like a huge waste to me. One of the prime uses for this, in my household, would be to put trackers on common stuff like luggage or keys -- stuff which either my wife or I could be looking for, interchangably, at any given moment.
Give it time. There could be Family Sharing for AirTag (so you can use your iPhone to find your wife purse).

Reactions: amartinez1660

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Strange thinking. People who have Tile will just throw it out. It’s not that expensive.

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Been using Tiles forever. Used them on my older iphones and on my new Pixel. This does nothing a Tile can't do. The Tile Slim fits in my wallet and has saved my ass several times. Tiles can ring my Android phone as well.

Not sure what the Apple differentiator is here other than "me too."
Isn't the air-tag more precise than the tile, at least with a U1 device? While I'm still using an iphone XR, wondering if i may want to upgrade to get this capability. From the video seems like there's a huge adavantage over the 1/2/3 circles on the tile, and I would like to be able to find it without making it ring (like when my spouse is still sleeping)

I do use my current tiles a lot (locating keys/wallet), but sometimes they don't ring until i get very close, the 'last location' seems pretty dicey, and the tile app seemed to drain my phone battery like crazy when i originally let it use do background tracking.

I'm also a little miffed that it didn't do a good job of telling me when my {previous} wallet tile had a dead battery, so when i lost my wallet i had no idea where it was last, and never recovered it. $#!@#$

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Several, several people keep asking something along the lines of “what if the AirTags alerts the thief that they’re being tracked?”

This is not an anti-theft tool, and it is not designed for that. This helps you specifically locate “lost” items, not “stolen” items. If you’ want a thief-tracker, this is probably not the item for you. It was not designed with stealth in mind- in fact, Apple *wants* you to see the AirTags so you know that someone lost something and you can help them recover it.

frumpywumpy

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010

Last edited:

frumpywumpy

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I wonder if you can opt out of having your iPhone participate in the air tags detection capability? As in I don't want my phone looking for others air tags and sending that data.
I would expect turning off bluetooth would be a way to opt-out (of course, then you can't use your BT devices)

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
How does the finding experience work with an iPhone that does not have a U1 chip? Does it just play a sound, or can your phone still help direct you?
i imagine same way you would locate your macbook in the find my app. you would see it on the map, but if it's a matter of finding your keys in a room — it wouldn't be as precise. of course that's where you would use its sound function.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
They are clearly not on their hide-and-seek adventure in NYC. Looks more like west coast, where I believe those journalists are based.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Outside
Isn't the air-tag more precise than the tile, at least with a U1 device?
Eh, that's coming. Tile will have Ultra Wideband sooner than later. Along with actual Android handsets.

Ultimately its the UWB tech that will be useful, not Apple's implementation. It has some interesting uses for in-door navigational beacon.

It seems like people were expecting far more utility from AirTag than they really provide. It will take someone else besides Apple to make a Personal Locator Beacon with UWB, to do Lost person/pet or stolen item tracking.

Personally I'll keep an eye on the Tile version with UWB of this. I'm passingly interested in stuffing one into emplaced field equipment. GPS and reference images is helpful, but a UWB beacon may help a new field worker find the equipment easier without someone who already knows the location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.