Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raj Char

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
Sunnyvale, ca
I’m curious how it works if someone steals an item with an AirTag attached, then gets an alert that an AirTag not belonging to them is traveling with them...
If someone steals your item with an AirTag and they have an iPhone, you cannot track it as they will be notified that there is an AirTag nearby. Only if you lose it, you can find it.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Always annoys me when the so called tech you tubers get this stuff for free. How about give it to real fans to test ones who aren’t paid for clicks. I was buying these because I wanted them not because someone got a freebie and can ready a brochure.
Because they're not giving things to influencers to test, they're giving them things to publicise and review. Through YouTube channels they'll get millions of people aware of their products; through you they'd get a couple of your mates and that bloke from work who always talks to you even though you don't know his name, who'll become aware anyway once you've bought yours.

Reactions: Razorpit

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Makes sense, but you should be able to turn off the beep pretty quickly. If an airtagged item is at the hotel and I’m out for drinks, I doubt it’s going to beep the entire time I’m gone.
Not unless your drinks session lasts for several days and the hotel starts moving (which I guess is quite possible after a multi-day drinking session).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: amartinez1660

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So what would happen if you buy Airtag and still use iPhones without U1? What do I get for tracking my stuff? Just pinging sound from the tag?

turbo79

macrumors member
May 24, 2006

The embargo has lifted on reviews of Apple's new AirTag item tracker, although they are more like first impressions given that media outlets and YouTube channels had less than 48 hours of hands-on time with the small new device.

airtag-and-iphone-12.jpeg

Image Credit: The Verge

AirTag will be available to order starting this Friday, April 23 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time in most countries, and it will begin arriving to customers on Friday, April 30. Priced at $29 each or $99 for a four pack, users can attach AirTags to personal belongings like a wallet, keys, purse, or backpack and then keep track of the location of those items in Apple's built-in Find My app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

We've already rounded up some AirTag unboxing videos, and below we've gathered some more in-depth opinions from AirTag reviews.

The Verge's Dieter Bohn said the AirTag as "smart" and "capable" for users who already live in Apple's ecosystem:In the video below, Bohn provides a closer look at the AirTag setup process and then goes on a hide-and-seek adventure in New York City to test out its capabilities:

TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino said it often took 30 seconds or more to get an initial location from an AirTag in another room, but he said location tracking was extremely accurate down to a few inches:Mashable's Brenda Stolyar was less excited about the AirTag, but she did praise their Precision Finding feature that uses the built-in U1 chip and accelerometer from the AirTag, along with ARKit and the gyroscope from the iPhone, to guide you towards the AirTag with an on-screen arrow, haptic feedback, and sound.Precision Finding is limited to Apple devices with the U1 chip for Ultra Wideband, including all iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models.

Article Link: AirTag Reviews: Smart and Capable for Those Already Living in Apple's Ecosystem
I’m sorry but for a tech reviewer, Brenda Stolyar is particularly stupid. To not realise that the excitement around Airtags is the eco system of billions of reporting devices, not the tags themselves.

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
I agree 100% I have been an avid Tile user for a long time - having to rely on another tile user is taking a chance I lost a set of keys at a gas station it took over a week for another tile user to walk into that same gas station to find my keys. iPhones are everywhere so this is no brainer for any Apple user who want to use something like this.
You are assuming the iPhone owner who finds your tag will be more helpful. They are just as likely to throw away the tag and keep your bag/wallet/etc.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
this is not a good investment as its Apple only and you maybe want to share some devices with the family, for example tv remote should be on every family member's phone. Now everything has to be Apple.

I like Apple but at this point there is just too much Apple for society's own good. Computers, tablets, phones, earphones, trackers, tv, cloud storage, video stream service, watches, music stream service, ios app store, mac app store, iTunes apple only devices store, Apple Arcade, Apple Pay, Apple ID, Apple Card, Apple Books, Apple Stores, not to mention Apple's own software like Final Cut. They might as well brand people's faces with the Apple Logo.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
this is not a good investment as its Apple only and you maybe want to share some devices with the family, for example tv remote should be on every family member's phone. Now everything has to be Apple.

I like Apple but at this point there is just too much Apple for society's own good. Computers, tablets, phones, earphones, trackers, tv, cloud storage, video stream service, watches, music stream service, ios app store, mac app store, iTunes apple only devices store, Apple Arcade, Apple Pay, Apple ID, Apple Card, Apple Books, Apple Stores, not to mention Apple's own software like Final Cut. They might as well brand people's faces with the Apple Logo.
That’s the whole point it’s for the apple ecosystem

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
That’s the whole point it’s for the apple ecosystem

I understand but, for the good of society, you shouldn't be involved so much in 1 company ecosystem. Don't create your own monster. People are already talking about not able to use the internet without relying on Google and Facebook services.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I understand but, for the good of society, you shouldn't be involved so much in 1 company ecosystem. Don't create your own monster. People are already talking about not able to use the internet without relying on Google and Facebook services.
But there are benefits in this case of using airtags over competitors. It uses the find my network which is used by billions all over the world. Why would you get an inferior device if you already own an iPhone. If you own an android phone you can use tile or Samsung tags.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

My husband doesn’t use an Apple phone bit of he wants to find our remote he can just ask one of the homepods

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
But there are benefits in this case of using airtags over competitors. It uses the find my network which is used by billions all over the world. Why would you get an inferior device if you already own an iPhone. If you own an android phone you can use tile or Samsung tags.

Now that find my network wouldn't it be better if it worked on Windows, linux, MacOS, Android and iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.