Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's already been reported that it takes multiple days and multiple stops before the AirTag alerts anyone that they might be getting tracked. IOW, as long as you notice that your item is missing within 48 hours, it's not nearly as much of an issue as people seem to think.

And...the alternative is much worse (stalking). There was basically no chance that Apple was going to allow AirTags to infinitely track someone that simply didn't realize a bad guy had stuck a tracker in their belongings.
I believe the timeline is 3 days.

bobm3

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Washington

The embargo has lifted on reviews of Apple's new AirTag item tracker, although they are more like first impressions given that media outlets and YouTube channels had less than 48 hours of hands-on time with the small new device.

airtag-and-iphone-12.jpeg
Can
Image Credit: The Verge

AirTag will be available to order starting this Friday, April 23 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time in most countries, and it will begin arriving to customers on Friday, April 30. Priced at $29 each or $99 for a four pack, users can attach AirTags to personal belongings like a wallet, keys, purse, or backpack and then keep track of the location of those items in Apple's built-in Find My app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

We've already rounded up some AirTag unboxing videos, and below we've gathered some more in-depth opinions from AirTag reviews.

The Verge's Dieter Bohn said the AirTag as "smart" and "capable" for users who already live in Apple's ecosystem:In the video below, Bohn provides a closer look at the AirTag setup process and then goes on a hide-and-seek adventure in New York City to test out its capabilities:

TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino said it often took 30 seconds or more to get an initial location from an AirTag in another room, but he said location tracking was extremely accurate down to a few inches:Mashable's Brenda Stolyar was less excited about the AirTag, but she did praise their Precision Finding feature that uses the built-in U1 chip and accelerometer from the AirTag, along with ARKit and the gyroscope from the iPhone, to guide you towards the AirTag with an on-screen arrow, haptic feedback, and sound.Precision Finding is limited to Apple devices with the U1 chip for Ultra Wideband, including all iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models.

Article Link: AirTag Reviews: Smart and Capable for Those Already Living in Apple's Ecosystem

Bruce T

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
The differentiator is the mesh network for items you lose out there in the big wide world. Suddenly every iOS device is looking for your item rather than just everyone who has the Tile app running. I'd guess that increases the chances of locating your item at least a thousand-fold.
Ummmm, no? Only iOS devices with the U1 chip will be "looking for your item." That's considerably less than every iOS device.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
So what is to stop someone from tracking a spouse they suspect of cheating then?

As long as they come home every night, wouldn't that reset the timer?

Its not days. It's an hour or less before a notification appears on your iPhone that you have a tracker following you.

Reactions: amartinez1660

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
So what is to stop someone from tracking a spouse they suspect of cheating then?

As long as they come home every night, wouldn't that reset the timer?
Oh no stalking!!!!!

I guess if that is true it would also be the case for a coworker, classmate.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Where did you read that AirTags deactivate themselves?

And some people here dont understand that an AirTag isnt the same thing as a padlock. It’s an item tracker, not a stop-a-thing-from-getting-stolen-er. If a bad actor wants your crap, they’ll take it and toss the AirTag. Its not magic.
People really overestimate the intelligence of the average bike thief.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
You can disable the “beep if separated from owner“ function, right? I‘m going to hide one of these in my car, and I’d want that particular tag to stay quiet if someone steals it.

Exxonuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
You can disable the “beep if separated from owner“ function, right? I‘m going to hide one of these in my car, and I’d want that particular tag to stay quiet if someone steals it.
No you can’t

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Been using Tiles forever. Used them on my older iphones and on my new Pixel. This does nothing a Tile can't do. The Tile Slim fits in my wallet and has saved my ass several times. Tiles can ring my Android phone as well.

Not sure what the Apple differentiator is here other than "me too."

How do I activate the arrow direction for find my tile, I say this cause I had to track a stolen wallet with a Tile once, they person threw it into a roller bin on garbage day on a busy street, I spent an hour walking around all the bins trying to listening for a sound from one of the 30 mins on that road

Exxonuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
It‘d be a nice feature to add down the road. In the meantime, I can think of quite a few excellent places to hide it.
That will never happen because of privacy/stalking. If you could just disable it, you could track any person who hasn’t got an Apple product and they would never know.

Reactions: ignatius345 and CE3

@Brett

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2016
Always annoys me when the so called tech you tubers get this stuff for free. How about give it to real fans to test ones who aren’t paid for clicks. I was buying these because I wanted them not because someone got a freebie and can ready a brochure.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
That will never happen because of privacy/stalking. If you could just disable it, you could track any person who hasn’t got an Apple product and they would never know.
Makes sense, but you should be able to turn off the beep pretty quickly. If an airtagged item is at the hotel and I’m out for drinks, I doubt it’s going to beep the entire time I’m gone.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
People really overestimate the intelligence of the average bike thief.
People still steal bikes? People still ride them? o_O

In any event, I'm more interested in why Apple hasn't embedded some sort of passive tracking tag technology into our iDevices already.

My iPhoneX was stolen a few years ago. The thief was smart enough to immediately power down the phone, strip it, and totally circumvent 'Find My'. He didn't want the phone. He wanted the glass or other parts. In the new world of Air Tag and Tile - don't we have the technology to mark or tag frame, glass, or other parts of the internal chassis NOT dependent on battery power to track, discourage and help catch thieves yet?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.