Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I don’t think that it going the way of airpower is any type of possibility. Airpower didn’t work because it was actually having technical difficulties. These are definitely not having technical difficulties. In fact, apple leaked them themselves. A lot of people forget that back in April, an Apple support video was uploaded with mention of airtags in it, then immediately taken down not even an hour later.
It probably all has to do with them trying to find the perfect time to release it.
They probably wanted to show it off in an event, but it wasn’t ready for the iPhone 11 event last year.
They didn’t have an event in March of this year, and even then, a tracking device being introduced in the middle of a nationwide lockdown would have been absolutely laughable timing.
So my guess is this fall. If it’s not coming this fall, then I don’t think it’s coming at all.

I'm also excited about AirTags, but with a caveat... Given Apple's recent behavior and trajectory, there's no way these will simply be sold as a product. Apple will almost certainly require you to subscribe to an AirTags service for an additional monthly fee. And personally, I've pretty much had it with adding more recurring monthly expenses.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
No, it doesn't. Its always Sept and using COVID as an excuse is absurd. Samsung and everyone else can get their phones out on time, why cant the all powerful Apple? Its lazy, they have really dropped off.
I can tell you exactly why. Because Samsung only sells about 1 million of a brand new phone that comes out. Apple sells about 20 million. Now what sounds harder to make, 1 million galaxy note 20s, or 20 million iPhone 12s

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I'm also excited about AirTags, but with a caveat... Given Apple's recent behavior and trajectory, there's no way these will simply be sold as a product. Apple will almost certainly require you to subscribe to an AirTags service for an additional monthly fee. And personally, I've pretty much had it with adding more recurring monthly expenses.
Please explain? I have never bought an Apple product that required me to buy a service. I can buy an Apple TV, and not be subscribed to TV plus. I can buy AirPods, and not have Apple Music.

Reactions: xpxp2002

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Please explain? I have never bought an Apple product that required me to buy a service. I can buy an Apple TV, and not be subscribed to TV plus. I can buy AirPods, and not have Apple Music.
In fact, the only Apple product that you almost have to have a subscription with is the HomePod, and even then that’s been changed in more recent months. You can use Spotify with the HomePod now, but you couldn’t do it before without using airplay.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
I can tell you exactly why. Because Samsung only sells about 1 million of a brand new phone that comes out. Apple sells about 20 million. Now what sounds harder to make, 1 million galaxy note 20s, or 20 million iPhone 12s

No excuse. They ahem been making iPhones long enough now to know what they need to do to get them out on time. Its poor management and leadership. They look like a joke when everyone else can get their phones out on time and Apple has to make their customers wait for months.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Airtags... sounds like Tile trackers or does it do something different. Heck, Samsung has that feature (tile tracker) built into their latest phones to track your lost phones.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Prosser bang on with today’s releases..

he’s quickly become the most reliable of the leakers..

not faultless, but good enough to demonstrate he’s not just guessing, as many people seem to believe..

Prosser is the most reliable of any of the 'leakers' at the moment, particularly around hardware releases. It seems very likely he does have sources within Apple, of some kind.
His tweet quoted earlier in this thread, about the September and October releases of the watch, ipad and iphones, is pretty specific, so will go a long way further to confirming his credibility if it comes to pass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.