Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I was hoping for a September event, what about ipads?
The current rumor is the new iPad (8th gen) and iPad Air (4th gen) will launch in the next couple of weeks.
Then a new iPad mini, and new iPad pros will launch in the first half of next year.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Maybe we will get the press release invites tomorrow ;)
There is absolutely no September event. No websites are reporting that there’s going to be a September event, no Twitter Leakers, no Youtubers, no analysts.
If there were going to be a September event, someone would have reported on it by now.
There may be a website refreshes throughout September for new iPads and Apple watches, but everything else will be in October or November.
[automerge]1598933092[/automerge]
Keep in mind that the current rumor was that production for the WWDC presentation was over $1 million. Apple is not gonna dump $1 million just to announce a tiny Apple Watch upgrade, and some new cheaper iPads.

There is absolutely no September event. No websites are reporting that there’s going to be a September event, no Twitter Leakers, no Youtubers, no analysts.
If there were going to be a September event, someone would have reported on it by now.
There may be a website refreshes throughout September for new iPads and Apple watches, but everything else will be in October or November.
[automerge]1598933092[/automerge]
Keep in mind that the current rumor was that production for the WWDC presentation was over $1 million. Apple is not gonna dump $1 million just to announce a tiny Apple Watch upgrade, and some new cheaper iPads.
September is a very special month of Apple. We should see something from Apple in the month of September.

Watch the ending.

Reactions: compwiz1202

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
They will send invites for virtual events as well (as they did for WWDC). Do you think Apple is just going to pop up with a surprise keynote one day at 1PM? It would be over before people even realized it was happening.
There’s a difference between sending invites and announcing to the world that there will be an event at X time on Y day.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
You realize both of these people base educated guesses off of information they get from others, or bits and pieces. It's not THEM being wrong. Its an educated guess to begin with.

And with current times tons of dates are being moved around. It doesnt mean their initial plan wasnt to split the event. Watches are sold out and watch and ipad models are already registered as we have seen meaning in the next weeks.
Can’t defend this dude... messages like this “oh boy Apple won’t be happy for this, sorry Apple ?. New iMac very soon”, say, in May and the thing didn’t get released until further down in August is beyond arrogant/annoying/pompous/pedantic... as if a now multi trillion dollar is ‘hurt’ by his deeds.

If it isn’t his fault, then at least it is his fault for not guess-educating himself a whole lot more and taking into account more the current pipeline unpredictability, because he sounds so sure.

For me, he reeks of someone that’s full of himself and spends a lot of time highlighting the few wins and burying with a lot of makeup all the loses like a sore loser.
“Back in June I said this and that, and I was right, sorry Apple ?”... he should educate himself on some humility and the arts of shutting up alright.

Reactions: yellow_lupine

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They should embrace the form factor this year. If they have some products ready on-time then they should release them. Every week they could put out a 5-20 minute video about a new product release (available for sale immediately) and do that from mid-September through November.

For example:

9/15: Apple Watch
9/22: Air Tags
9/29: Apple TV with new remote
10/6: iPhone 12
10/13: iPad Air
10/20: Smaller HomePod
10/27: iPhone 12 Pro
11/3: AirPods Studio headset
11/10: MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Just meant as an example. I don’t think Apple would release a new product on Election Day as it would get buried, especially this year. But could you imagine the kind of press this would get if Apple spread out their launches like this? It would keep them always in the news cycle, and allows them extra time to release whatever products are lagging from the pandemic. Embracing the pandemic with the video model this year is the way to go. For a big event you want a big punch all at once. Right now you have a more captive audience than usual.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This is the first I've heard of any Apple Watch coming next week rumor. That would be amazing. I've been waiting to buy a new AW as a gift for someone whose old S1 finally crapped out. Almost perfect timing if they can deliver in September.

Personally, I'm eager to upgrade my phone this year too. I'd gladly wait until late Oct/early Nov if that's what it took to get a 120 Hz display inside, but if not they might as well announce in Sept and ship as soon as they can.
I don’t think the delay has anything to do with 120Hz, I think it’s due to travel restrictions to/from China earlier in the year throwing a wrench into the machine.

re: Apple Watch, refreshes have always come in Sept in the past but this year, who knows?

Last edited:

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
I do hope those Airtags aren't the slippery white discs that they appear to be.
You may change your mind when you read the instructions and where they are to be inserted. You will be praying Apple makes them thinner with longer battery life.

Reactions: H2SO4

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
You may change your mind when you read the instructions and where they are to be inserted. You will be praying Apple makes them thinner with longer battery life.
lol, I want something I can attach to my keys also. I suppose I could drill a hole in one.

Reactions: xnu

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
So if one of these Apple Tags are in my car lets say...and my car gets stolen... I can track it?

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
So if one of these Apple Tags are in my car lets say...and my car gets stolen... I can track it?
Well my friend with dementia took the car keys when no one noticed and (long story) was located and later stopped by LEO due to a Tile on the key ring.
(he went thru a hiway Border Patrol checkpoint - 150 mies away - and an agent had the Tile app on his phone that reported the tile's location)

I have a Tile hidden in the upper console of both my trucks - would rather have ATs in there in case stolen

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
So no event until late Oct which means the low end models won't ship until Nov and the Pro models not till Dec? Absolutely ridiculous. Samsung is able to get their S20 and Note phones out right on time. I'll be getting a Note Ultra 20 this week. Bye iPhone. The rest of you suckers can keep waiting around for months for new phones.

Last edited:

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Late October timing sounds right for new iPhone unveiling.

No, it doesn't. Its always Sept and using COVID as an excuse is absurd. Samsung and everyone else can get their phones out on time, why cant the all powerful Apple? Its lazy, they have really dropped off.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, it doesn't. Its always Sept and using COVID as an excuse is absurd. Samsung and everyone else can get their phones out on time, why cant the all powerful Apple? Its lazy, they have really dropped off.

Apple isn’t giving any excuse, but the entire supply chain believes it’s because Apple is late in designing their own 5G mmWave antenna. Makes sense given Apple settled with Qualcomm only a year ago.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Apple isn’t giving any excuse, but the entire supply chain believes it’s because Apple is late in designing their own 5G mmWave antenna. Makes sense given Apple settled with Qualcomm only a year ago.

Ok, well either way, its sloppy and makes them look bad. It went from "a few weeks" delayed to now a few MONTHS. Every other manufacturer is getting their phones out on time. Apple has really gone down hill.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I have no idea what AirTags even are any more. Are they small things, like a Tile, that I can stick or somehow attach to other things in order to track and find them? Presumably these objects would be outdoors, maybe exposed to the weather.

Or are they larger devices, in a leather case, which... I don’t know. Why would you need something like that?

2 use-cases I can think of for the smaller devices:

- Bikes. You might need to take the AirTag apart, but you should be able to hide the electronics in the frame and expose the antenna somehow. Depends on battery life.

- Children. Toddlers and small children often wander off, and it would be helpful to stick a little device in their pocket so you can instantly find them, or have your phone beep you if they go too far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.