Al Gore and Lisa Jackson to Discuss 'Climate Optimism' at Apple Store in San Francisco This Week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced that former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and Apple's environmental chief Lisa Jackson will be hosting a "climate optimism" discussion at its Union Square retail store in San Francisco on Wednesday.

[​IMG]

The duo will also share their insight on Earth Day initiatives, Apple's ongoing commitment to the environment, and ways that people can have an impact on climate and the environment through positive actions.

The free event begins on April 19 at 7:00 p.m. local time. Apple is accepting a limited number of reservations on its website.

(Thanks, Ryker!)

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Al Gore and Lisa Jackson to Discuss 'Climate Optimism' at Apple Store in San Francisco This Week

2. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

I bet he flew in on his planet destroying jet...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    How can we have climate optimism, didn't we already pass the point of no return last year?

3. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Al's found a hobby that nets him plenty of money and he feels like he's doing his part to "save the planet" on top of that. Good for him. Note that this article is from 2012. God knows how much money his "green" investments have made him since then: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...868e65d57eb_story.html?utm_term=.de958e7ab817

Note that I, personally, have no problem with him making wise financial investments and profiting handsomely from them. I'm all for capitalism. I am suggesting, however, that he might not be such a vocal proponent of the green agenda if he wasn't simultaneously making money off said agenda.

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

..... do as I say, not as I do?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How should he arrive?

6. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Prius? Or is the planet not worth leaving a couple days early to lower his carbon footprint?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

He could fly commercial instead of in a private jet.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What, like Ivanka did and got the flight delayed?

9. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Is the planet worth a delayed flight or not?

10. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

It’s too bad Lisa Jackson (’s Eco VP) can’t get Apple to make repairable computers to help reduce the e-waste of Mac users.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They wait so long to rev their macs these days that they decompose before you have to worry about e-waste.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ivanka isn't running around shoving Climate change garbage down people throats though like Al and his buddies. They can fly commercial. Drive electric cars. Not live in giant mansions that suck up more power then entire neighborhoods. Stuff like that. As soon as the climate change profiteers hand over their "stuff" I'll play the game too. Until then....get off my back and suck it. I'm not buying into the BS. Sorry.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The planet doesn't die when you fly.

The fundamental problem is that the liberals will accept anything and the conservatives are absurdly over-critical.

The reality is that people like Al-Gore and Leonardo de Caprio should limit themselves to one (or perhaps two) houses, and avoid flying where practical, perhaps when land transportation would be less than eight hours. They should also take the train where that would take less than twice as long as driving.

They should probably also publish their annual carbon output and make a credible effort to offset, as well as making clear the steps they take to reduce their carbon footprint.

On the other hand the Conservatives should stop whining when they fly across America for a conference, and especially when they fly to other countries - even when they use a private jet for security reasons.
    Ivanka tried to fly commercial and then got personally insulted thus delaying the flight for everyone else - Al Gore would take the same treatment.
    Nobody actually repairs computers, so it's ridiculous.

14. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

This. I refuse to believe that anthropogenic global warming is a thing until its supporters start acting like it is.

15. Eraserhead, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What do you expect people to do?

By the way not believing in AGM China will eat you for breakfast.

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Practice what they preach.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree. But what does that entail?

18. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Climate changes. Always has in the planet's 4.6 billion year history. Always will.
    And there's no question that we humans contribute to the climate change.
    Where I depart from the Al Gore and Leo DiCaprios of the world is the claim (and alarmism) that man is causing ALL of the climate change. The evidence for that is questionable. Anyone who has a loud megaphone like they do claiming we are causing all of the climate changes when they, themselves, use the very modes of transportation and live the lifestyles they say is causing climate change...
    Private jets output four times the CO2 compared to a commercial jet, so if they need to get around quickly, at the very least they should be flying with the regular folk.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They can't fly with the regular folk for security reasons.

And first class uses a lot more carbon too.

20. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Actually, people do repair computers, especially pricey Macs. Hence the existence of PC repair shops and AASP-certified Apple Approve Service Provider Shops. Just because you buy a new computer when one breaks doesn’t mean everyone else does. Though, this is truer of Macs than Windows PCs due to the price of a new machine.
    If they want something a little sportier than a Prius, they could go with a Tesla - if they don’t mind the fact that it’s all-electric instead of a hybrid (no quick refueling).
    Nice sarcasm!

21. joueboy macrumors 65816

People still believe this idiot. His prediction of global warming that floods the earth is been long overdue. Well he's really milking his agenda to make more money.

22. tedson macrumors regular

Not true, I upgraded the RAM easily and added an SSD to my 2011 Mac Mini greatly extending its life and making it much more usable. I could not do that with todays lineup.

23. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

Climate change profiteers?

Because oil comes out of the ground and into your gas tank for free...

24. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

What?

Last time i replaced the wifi card from my Zenbook (n to ac) - it was a quick and easy job and even possible.

I know lots of people fixing or upgrading their laptops (and even more desktops), but of course the manufacturers dont have a special relationship with a glue maker...

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You realise solar and wind energy are cheaper now?
    Tesla is good.