All Three 2017 iPhone Models Have Entered Volume Production Ahead of Expected September Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new supply chain report today described strong July sales for component suppliers in the iPhone supply chain, hinting at an increase in momentum for production on the 2017 iPhones. Furthermore, sources speaking with DigiTimes have said that all three of the new iPhones -- the "iPhone 8," "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus" -- have now entered volume production.

The supply chain sources mentioned that there "will not be shortages" for the LCD iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus, but supply for the OLED iPhone 8 "could fall short of demand," a sentiment we've been hearing for months. One of the major factors cited for this shortage is related to "high expectations" from users, which is expected to keep suppliers operating production lines in high gear and lead to record-breaking monthly and even quarterly sales volumes.

[​IMG]

Specifically, main Apple suppliers Foxconn, Pegatron, and Wistron are believed to hit a sales high in the September-November period, due to shipments of finished iPhones predicted to "start gaining momentum" as soon as this month. In other recent production-related news, we heard about Samsung and its plan to operate seven OLED panel lines at full capacity in August, all of them dedicated to Apple's iPhone 8.

A recent investor note by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo mentioned that Apple will begin production verification tests on the iPhone 8 at the end of August, with mass production beginning in mid-September. Kuo further believed that Apple will announce all three iPhones simultaneously in September, as well as launching them for purchase all on the same day. As usual, the OLED iPhone 8 is predicted to be in short supply, and recent reports have suggested shipments between 2 to 4 million units will be available at launch.

Also shared today by Sonny Dickson (via 9to5Mac) are a few alleged images of each new 2017 iPhone. The images focus on the all-glass rear design of the devices, a rumor that's been circulating since the October 2016 for both the iPhone 8 and the LCD iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus. The glass backs of the new iPhones will allow the devices to wirelessly charge when placed on a charging receptacle of some kind, similar to the Apple Watch's inductive charging feature.

[​IMG]

The images show the large 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus, 4.7-inch iPhone 7s, and in-between 5.8-inch iPhone 8, which has a form factor near the size of the 4.7-inch iPhone and a screen slightly larger than the Plus models. The iPhone 8 will also have a vertically aligned dual lens rear camera to help boost augmented reality features, while the iPhone 7s Plus will retain the horizontal dual lens system of the previous generation.

Article Link: All Three 2017 iPhone Models Have Entered Volume Production Ahead of Expected September Launch

2. 576316 macrumors 601

So, are we expecting the '7s' and '7s Plus' to also have a glass back and 'flatter' design?

3. berrymetal macrumors member

berrymetal

4. xpxp2002 macrumors member

Have there been any supply chain reports or rumors about what kind of radio chipsets are going into these things? Would be nice to dump this iPhone 7 Intel chip with its awful reception.

5. Sunny1990, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Let's Hope all goes well with the production, So we don't face shortage at launch.

6. berrymetal macrumors member

berrymetal

Yes, for "wireless" charging...

7. Devie macrumors 6502a

Man the naming is up ***** creek. Ah well.
    I'm not due for a new phone until next year so hopefully the 8s brings back Touch ID.. if it is gone from 8

8. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Love the iPhone 8 form factor here. Always preferred the smaller phones and almost went SE, however, with this larger screen size meets smaller form factor release, I might end up with the flagship iPhone 8. (currently on iPhone 7)

9. Bacillus, Aug 9, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

There is no iPhone 8 form factor.
    Just a iPhone 6 ver. 3 (as you might have observed as you have the ver. 2 in your hands)
    Some may like it (obviously, as they have little choice...)
    Others will say that this is the proof of the ultimate lackluster design culture at the current Apple

10. nyjoe84 macrumors member

nyjoe84

I bet money on launch day they will have plenty of iPhone 7splus & iPhone 7 s available. They will say iPhone 8 or whatever its called for the holiday season.

11. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

My main concern remains the potential price of the iPhone 8.

If it's above £800, it's a no go for me. A phone is a phone and truthfully, there aren't many things my 6S plus can't do that the iPhone 8 will be able to.

12. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm very curious to see how the real phones will look. I like the old rendering with the entire screen real estate being used. I'm not keen on the current iPhone 8 renderings showing that odd cutout for the earpiece and cameras.

13. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

But aren't they still deciding where to put the touch id sensor!?! /s

14. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

15. madgick macrumors newbie

If there is no touchID on the 8, then i'd rather have either of the 7's. It just seems crippling and it seems it wasn't removed by design, they just couldn't get it to work in time

16. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Same day launch would be sweet. Rather than waiting just to order it. I wonder how that would work? Would they announce the phone, and then say ok you can now go into your store to buy one. Or give you a time where everyone can go online to order shortly after the announcement?

17. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

I wonder how many people are going to pony up $1,000 for the OLED iPhone 8.... Will probably sell like hot cakes.

18. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Wish we could place order now....will have months of ETA when it comes out anyway

19. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Pretty excited to see if the 8 lives up to the rumor hype.

20. Sasparilla, Aug 9, 2017

Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Nice to see things moving along like usual. If the picture is to be believed it'll really be a silver back instead of a white one, apparently. (since this part appears true, like that color rumor, I wonder if that means they'll drop gold and rose gold as well for copper?)

A good chunk of demand for the 8 will really depend on the user experience if it doesn't have a display embedded fingerprint reader. If its not as good as the regular 7s & Plus with one (its hard to see it being as good), it'll take a sizable amount of demand off (myself being one) and solve some of Apple's Pro display production limitation problem.

21. jft94 macrumors regular

It’ll be the same as any other year. All announced on the same day, preorders open 1 week later, and then they all start to ship 1 week after that.

22. johngordon, Aug 9, 2017

johngordon macrumors 65816

It is getting pretty steep agreed. But I think for a long time smartphones have been way more than just phones.

Go back 10-15 years, and what would you have needed to have, and spend to have all of the following:

- high end phone
    - portable music player
    - compact camera
    - handheld gaming device

OK, you probably wouldn't need to spend £800, but I'm sure you could easily have done so, and ended up with four devices, that combined still didn't come close to doing everything you can on a modern smartphone.

And yes, I realise you can spend a lot less, and still get all of the above, but you get the point.

23. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

24. manu chao macrumors 603

I am wondering whether the predicted delays and production issues were related to the under-screen TouchID. And that by ditching the under-screen TouchID, those production issues were drastically reduced.

25. KavalierMalta macrumors member

KavalierMalta

So hyped for this iPhone release :) Looking forward to purchase the iPhone 8 edition :D