All Three New 2017 iPhones to Feature Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is widely rumored to launch three new iPhones this year, and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo now claims that all of them will feature wireless charging.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 8 concept by UI/UX designer Moe Slah

Kuo said wireless charging increases the internal temperature of smartphones, so he expects the rumored iPhone 8 with an OLED display and glass casing to have a new 3D Touch module with "additional graphite sheet lamination" in order to prevent the device from malfunctioning due to overheating.

An excerpt from Kuo's research note obtained by MacRumors:
    The new 3D Touch module could be up to $5 more expensive for Apple to procure per phone. While that is a minimal increase, it lends further credence to a report claiming the high-end iPhone 8 could cost upwards of $1,000 in the United States due to a significant redesign and the use of premium parts.

Kuo previously said Apple will switch to all-glass casing for next year's entire iPhone lineup, including the more iterative 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus, in order to support wireless charging. It remains unclear if the wireless charging will be based on long-range or inductive technologies.

Article Link: All Three New 2017 iPhones to Feature Wireless Charging

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Such a "meh" feature. Add it to the list though, because lots of people want / complain about it.

3. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

that headline sounds pretty definite for a rumor this far ahead of release.

Also, Apple usually prides itself on the fact that the prices stay pretty steady, even though they are "vastly" improved, which leads me to believe that IF the price increases thusly, they will add a "pro" moniker to it.

4. TSE, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

TSE macrumors 68030

This is one of the features that I think everyone will enjoy. The lightning cable is notoriously fragile and the convenience of wireless charging is just as powerful a feature as waterproofing it, in my opinion.

I'm still on a 5S, and it seems more and more likely I will update to a 7S.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

it will be nice not to have to worry about wires when reaching for my phone at 3:00 a.m.

6. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

These days, ever since Tim Cook pulled that "30 minute short keynote" move, I am more inspired to see the looks on audience's face. I hope the next iPhone is "wow" phone as I had to skip out ip7 plus.

7. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

8. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I think we've heard this wireless charging rumor more than enough that I'm no longer hedging as much.

9. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Looking at that concept, it would be cool if you could move the virtual home button to your liking in the bottom dock.

10. diipii macrumors 6502a

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Now you'll be able to charge and listen to your music at the same time.

12. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

While I like the idea of having wireless charging, I hope that it's not the main new feature. Especially if it's the same type of wireless charging that Samsung and all the others use currently. I don't want to have to put a certain type of case on my phone to charge it.

13. emulator macrumors 6502a

emulator

It was with Palm 6-7 years ago.

14. Binarymix macrumors 65816

Unless you're stuck somewhere without their propriety charging system, of course.

Which will be anywhere but home lol.

15. hawkeye_a, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

At this point, nothing short of a complete refresh of iOS would get me excited for iDevices(at any price point). I want something as significant as the jump from MacOS9 to OSX!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Still got my PalmPre2; definitely ahead of its time in many respects.

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Man, if it's the latter, I can't wait to not be able to pick up my device while it charges. Woo!

I genuinely don't get the appeal of inductive charging.

17. satchmo macrumors 68000

I realize Apple is never first to market on the latest technology.

They usually say they want to do it right...but wireless charging should already have been on iPhones by now.
    These slow incremental upgrades are par for the course. Some new feature to hook buyers in.

18. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Not sure how much Kuo actually knows about the internals of smartphones. However, if he's correct that wireless charging causes the internal temperature of the phone to be higher than it would otherwise be when charging with a cable, I think we may have an inkling of the type of problem that could befall this year's phone.

God knows...Apple doesn't have a good track record when it comes to the internal temperature of their products and the problems high temperatures cause.

19. HVDynamo macrumors 6502

Honestly, I would rather they dump wireless charging, and make the phone thick enough to accommodate a flush camera lens and bring back the headphone jack. If they did that, it would be a day one purchase, but it is wishful thinking. Wireless charging is inefficient, and causes the heat issues. I have never had any issues with any of my lightning cables, and don't have a problem just plugging it in. I usually charge it on my nightstand while I sleep and start my day with 100% battery every day. 99% of my days I make it back to the charger without issue.

20. fourthtunz macrumors 65816

fourthtunz

I didn't care about it then and I don't care about it now. Meh.

21. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

While wireless charging isn't a huge deal, I am kind of excited to see what kind of charging dock they come up with to go with the phone. I wonder if that will be a separate purchase and the phone will just come with a lightning cable, or will we get a dock of some sort in the box...

22. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Go to bed wearing my BeatsX listening to YouTube watching on my iPhone while it's charging
    Wireless future!

23. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

While I love all my Apple products that I own and have ever owned, it feels like they're usually tardy to the party. Granted they could have done wireless charging awhile ago, but it would be interesting to see "the Apple way" of its implementation; take what others do and make it better. Or at least try to convince us, LOL.