Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Problem is no-one has ever shipped a long-range solution. Ever. At this point it's science fiction.
The laws of physics pretty much keep this from being possible.

As it is, wireless charging is inefficient. That's no big deal when you're plugged into the wall, but for portable power packs efficiency is important. I hope they still provide a wired option.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
These days, ever since Tim Cook pulled that "30 minute short keynote" move, I am more inspired to see the looks on audience's face. I hope the next iPhone is "wow" phone as I had to skip out ip7 plus.

I wish they would allow a general audience so that way the thunderous Booooos would slap Tim Cook back to reality.
Don't get me wrong, Apple does some pretty amazing things, but over Tim's years, they seems to be more and more investor focused instead of customer focused like Steve Jobs was.

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
Should have done this way before ditching the audio jack.

The lightning port its Apple's worst invention of the past 20 years, slightly beating out the old 'hockey-puck mouse' from the late 90's.

The cables constantly disintegrating is annoying, yes, but that pales in comparison to the ports themselves which have ended up being the weak spot on every iPhone I've owned for the past 5 years.

Its death can't come soon enough.

Can you explain to me how some people never have problems with lighting cables and some always have problem with them? I'm still using first cable from iPone 5 and apart from being yellow it is fine and has not suffered any damage.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I wish they would allow a general audience so that way the thunderous Booooos would slap Tim Cook back to reality.
Don't get me wrong, Apple does some pretty amazing things, but over Tim's years, they seems to be more and more investor focused instead of customer focused like Steve Jobs was.
As both an investor and a customer, when you make the customers happy, the investors tend to be too. As for price, I prefer to buy value. If I buy a $730 iPhone that lasts 2 years, that's $1/day, or if I get a $1095 phone that lasts 3 years, it's still the same price.

"A poor man pays twice."

Reactions: TBN27 and AdonisSMU

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Interesting idea, but the way the watch charges doesn't seem to me to be the future of charging that Apple is interested in. I mean, I like the way the watch charges; but it's not really a different experience than the way the phone charges except that there's a magnet on the end of the cable instead of a Lightning connector.

In my mind the phone will need 2 charging methods: Something easy but large (like a pad on your nightstand) and something portable but harder to use (to replace a lightening cable on the go).

So while I think the watch charger couldn't do it alone, I can see it as the portable 'backup' solution people will carry with them.

Can you explain to me how some people never have problems with lighting cables and some always have problem with them?

I can not, but I've seen enough of it in the world to believe that 'you are lucky' rather than 'I am unlucky.'

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Hmm... old iPhone starts at $650.

R&D Dept: "Well, if we include wireless charging, the phone is more susceptible to heat. We can add some extra shielding for about $5."

Tim Cook: "Well... ok. Just be sure to raise the retail price of the phone by $350!"
There is more stuff than just wireless charging, the article states this is only 1 thing and it supports that there will be more high end parts

No way justifying the $1000 cost

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
This guy gets it. Sometimes Apple fans blindly believe in magic.
I'm an Apple Fan
Maybe wireless is a second thing, wired charge is main way to go fast, but maybe overnight or at the office wireless since you don't need a quick charge

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Every single year apple bringing new model but how can anyone change their phone every year? Atleast I can't do it.

I use their iPhone Upgrade Program. It's not that hard to change phones. an hour or two inconvenience while I restore from backup is the only issue I have. I wish they would put USB3 ports and cables with the iPhone to speed things up.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Maybe wireless is a second thing, wired charge is main way to go fast, but maybe overnight or at the office wireless since you don't need a quick charge

But the problem with that is the old "Steve Jobs Vs Windows” philosophy. Apple only has one way of doing things (the right way). Windows has multiply ways of doing the same thing. If they introduce wireless charging then Apple’s culture (if such a thing still exists) will promote the new way as the better way and the only way a sane person will ever need to use.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
I use their iPhone Upgrade Program. It's not that hard to change phones. an hour or two inconvenience while I restore from backup is the only issue I have. I wish they would put USB3 ports and cables with the iPhone to speed things up.
What makes you think the upgrade programe will allow you to upgrade to iPhone 8 when it will just roll over to the standard iPhone 7s/7s Plus (hint cheaper) models?

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
A company I work with just developed a new wireless charging station and created wireless charging adapters for iPhones as well as Android. It's ridiculous how easy it was to implement. Components are so thin, it's simply basic stuff. The fact that iPhones still don't over wireless charging is just odd.

Maybe Apple wouldn't sell as many cables and dongles? I don't know.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
But the problem with that that is the old "Steve Jobs Vs Windows” philosophy. Apple only has one way of doing thing things (the right way). Windows has multiply ways of doing the same thing. If they introduce wireless charging then Apple’s culture (if such a thing still exists) will promote the new way as the better way and only way a sane person will ever need to use.
Yes, wireless charging has been around for years and the Apple faithful have regarded it largely as a "meh" feature.
But when Apple does it it will become "magical", and a necessity.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
Jobs was jobs focused

Reactions: TBN27

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes, wireless charging has been around for years and the Apple faithful have regarded it largely as a "meh" feature.
But when Apple does it it will become "magical", and a necessity.
If it's long range (~10ft from the power brick) then it will indeed be "magical". If it's the same old matt-based ******** you'll get a collective "meh".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.