All Three New 2017 iPhones to Feature Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2017.

1. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

And it'll be yet another one of those gimmicks AND not an industry standard because we all know Apple doesn't like those. Say bye-bye to your Qi chargers, hello Apple-exclusives.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The only thing I don't like about wireless charging is that it means another device specific cable to schlep when traveling. I've already experienced this with Apple Watch. Now it will be +2. Previously I could just bring one cable for phone, iPad and Air Pods and then the AW cable. Now I'll need to bring a cable for iPhone, a cable for iPad and Air Pods, a cable for Apple Watch, a cable for Garmin. Ironic that wireless doesn't equate to traveling wire-free.

But big picture that is a small inconvenience (and $ price) to have inductive charging devices at home.

3. Relentless Power, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agreed. I will add that if Apple does incorporate wireless charging this year, one would not have to purchase it separately if they weren't interested. Some just prefer charging the lightning method, which works perfectly for most.

4. Nick A macrumors regular

Charging anymore than what an iPhone already costs is just plain greedy. Apple's profits are through the roof and the iPhone is already one of, if not the most expensive smartphone on the market.

Well, at-least we'll get wireless charging that has been available in competitors products for years.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Heck I would be happy if we could move the icons around and place them where we want, leaving space or spaces in between them etc without having to jailbreak and use a see through icon to achieve the desired effect.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I disagree. It's not a gimmick. Plugging in devices is one of life's tiny annoyances. Good riddance. Being able to just plop your device on a pad is quicker and more natural.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Should have done this way before ditching the audio jack.

The lightning port its Apple's worst invention of the past 20 years, slightly beating out the old 'hockey-puck mouse' from the late 90's.

The cables constantly disintegrating is annoying, yes, but that pales in comparison to the ports themselves which have ended up being the weak spot on every iPhone I've owned for the past 5 years.

Its death can't come soon enough.

8. BrentD macrumors 6502

Headline could use some work. Saying "2017 iPhones" will have a feature "this year" is a bit redundant, no?

9. julesme macrumors regular

This could be an awesome feature. As stated above, it's convenient when setting down/picking up the phone, and we no longer will have to worry about fraying wires.

10. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

This. Flush camera and fill out the space with a bigger battery.

11. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Yes the rumours of 3 iPhones will come true (iPhone 7s,7sPlus and "Anniversary iPhone"), yes they all will include this charginging method. BUT people on Apples yearly upgrade plan with a current 7/7 Plus are only goning to be able to upgrade "like for like" NOT the fancy, expensive "Anniversary iPhone" model. It makes me sad that Apple introduces nice features like this "wireless-charging" but it will be lost in the chaos and noise of only the features, bulid materials of the expensive model.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

How is KGI right so many times? Are they straight up just predicting?

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Wireless charging the way it has been done up until now isn't ideal. You can't charge your phone and use it at the same time. I suspect this is one of the negative aspects of wireless charging that Apple will fix.

14. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

But would wireless charging be a replacement to traditional wired charging, or would it be an option in addition to wired?

15. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

About a decade late to the party... even Nexus phones had wireless charging years ago.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Might it perhaps use that same charger as the watch?

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

18. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

what Nexus device could charge while not being within 1 inch next to the charger?

19. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Respectfully, I still don't understand this mindset if it is a long range solution.

Do you see the benefit in WiFi over wired internet? This would be the same advantage.

20. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Real wireless charging like the Energous concept or a stupid gimmicky mat?

21. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Have to agree, imagine your phone in your pocket charging, it's in your backpack, it's in the middle of your bed, etc

22. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Just look at Energous' Watt Up solution. I think no way Apple comes out with something close range only with that kind of competition in the marketplace.

The long term health impact of all this may be a different question...

23. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Interesting idea, but the way the watch charges doesn't seem to me to be the future of charging that Apple is interested in. I mean, I like the way the watch charges; but it's not really a different experience than the way the phone charges except that there's a magnet on the end of the cable instead of a Lightning connector.

24. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Problem is no-one has ever shipped a long-range solution. Ever. At this point it's science fiction.

25. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

I'm sure during testing and planning they thought of that

Since that seems to be the #1 concern among members here, I imagine that question was asked at least once throughout the engineering process