All Vegans need to watch this!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Boeing747, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Boeing747 macrumors member

2. AdrianK, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

What does that have to do with Veganism ? It's simply a proof of the widely known fact about weight : As long as your calorie consumption is lower than your calorie expenditure, you will lose weight, no matter the source of said calories.

You can lose weight on a diet of McDonald's only. It doesn't mean you'll be healthy though, as you'll be lacking a lot of nutriments that a proper diet would give you while also providing a lower calorie count. Things like Fiber, Calcium and most vitamins come to mind, as those are absent from McDonald's food due to the high fat/sugar content.

This is about as far from veganism (which has other challenges as far as nutriments go, usually ending with vegans taking a lot of supplements) as you can get.

4. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

He shows how bad vegan diets are in the film. Did you watch the whole thing?

5. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I don't see anything about healthy eating in that definition.

6. Papanate macrumors regular

Really? Why do I need to listen to this? If you goof up on eating you goof up...it has zero to do with being a Vegan or not.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

wow. a comedian lost weight. amazing.

i'll stick with my vegetarian diet. you stick with your meat one. let's try and eat as healthy as we can :)

8. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

Watch the movie then look back at your comment. :)

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'm not wasting my time on some bull#$& movie to learn that veganism isn't the ideal lifestyle for many individuals. Some Vegans treat it like a religion. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and I still eat red meat 2-3 times a week, I just split our pasta, stir fry, pizza, salad, etc two ways, and add meat after. No need to be a jerk about it to attempt to prove a point. To each their own. Let people eat what they want to eat.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is it Post a Terrible Thread about Veganism Month?

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

12. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

Wow his voice is annoying as hell. Yeah, this really has nothing to do with vegans. I love how you're trying to get a rouse out of people. :rolleyes:

13. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

The only vegans that are annoying are those that try to push their beliefs and values on to you(i guess its the same with anything).

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Right! Right! Right!

There's so much b******t about source of calories - the quote above simplifies and clarifies beautifully.

Extreme diets require very careful evaluation to be sure they supply complete protein and other essential nutrients.

I am in no way criticizing or condemning veganism, or other kinds of diets. Just urging education and caution. :)

15. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Anybody who tries to live their life in a different manner annoys the hell out of straight up rule book followers plus a certain amount of the very few vegans seem to have a hobby of winding up meat eaters.

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

You know anyone at WETA by chance? My Sis works there.
    I hate these theads too for topic.

18. kolax macrumors G3

I love haggis too much to ever consider adopting a vegetarian/vegan diet.

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

extreme diet?

i can't imagine why veganism is an extreme diet when it consists of eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, and other non-meat, non-dairy products. the only supplement you will need is b12. i take a general supplement to make sure i get everything i need, but i was taking that even before i became a vegetarian. in my opinion, that is just good sense.

extreme diets are any that lack variety. a carnivore eating mcdonald's hamburgers every day, or someone subsisting on rice alone will face horrific health consequences (obesity, beri-beri, etc.). being a vegan doesn't make you extreme. eating unhealthy (in any manner) accomplishes that.

instead of bashing mcdonalds, vegans, or meat eaters, if we all are careful to moderate our caloric intake and eat a variety of foods, then we'll be a lot healthier regardless of our dietary philosophies.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Point taken.

Perhaps the word "extreme" was ill-considered:eek:. My main point was to focus on the need for adequate nutrient intake. I certainly agree completely with your last paragraph. Moderation in caloric intake (probably easier with a vegan diet) and a variegated food selection is best. :D

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

:)
    Yeah. I think we pretty much agree. I picked up on that word because I have seen it in other vegan threads. I wasn't picking on you as much as I was trying to suggest another perspective on it to other people in the thread. Sometimes it seems people get so caught up in fighting about the moral implications of diets (usually vegetarians and vegans in the mac forums pushing their worldview on others) that they overlook the most important thing: eating balanced meals.

At many restaurants it is actually surprisingly difficult for meat eaters to receive adequate helpings of vegetables. Obviously, as a vegetarian, I sometimes struggle to find decent stuff on the menu as well. With all of the abundance in first world countries, it is disappointing how narrow our food choices are in restaurants and lots of supermarkets.

22. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

Seriously dude? Did you even read the description of the movie?

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Vegetarian Haggis is available although why you'd want to eat one is beyond me.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There are many reasons why people are vegans, so watching a movie isn't going to change anything for them.