All you need to know about At&T plans----Read on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tttexxan, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Saw this on Gizmodo....Plans that we have heard about with AT&T..I fully expected this due to friends paying more for their 3G plans...In the past with palm and Pocket Pc you had different plans to choose from depending on usage. It was just a matter of time.

What Im wondering is----If using the Microsoft Exchange is that considered business user thus charging 45 bucks more...Nice to see we all will have to pay 35...Not so cheap a device now

Read on this comes from At&T memo

Pricing and Plans
    Device Pricing:
    $199 8GB and $299 16GB for new activations and qualified upgrades with 2-year agreement.

Data Plans and Pricing:
    The iPhone 3G will be activated on existing AT&T voice rate plans, but new data plans have been created for the 3G device.

All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans and qualifying voice plan.
    Customers intending to use the iPhone 3G for access to corporate e-mail, business applications, or access to corporate intranet are required to activate with Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone.
    The 2G data rate plans will remain available for 2G devices until further notice.
    IRU service discounts for both voice and data pans will apply to iPhone 3G, but not 2G iPhone.
    CRU service discounts for voice and data will apply to both 2G and 3G, when on a qualifying data plan.
    IRUs will not get a discount on device purchase for 2G or iPhone 3Gs.
    Data Pricing will be as follows:
    Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
    $30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail

Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
    $45 – Unlimited Data with personal and corporate e-mail, web, includes Visual Voicemail

Upgrade Eligibility and Qualified Upgrade Pricing
    Upgrade eligibility will be determined based on standard upgrade eligibility rules. Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades.

All customers will be required to sign a 2-year agreement. There will not be a "no commitment" price for the iPhone 3G.

Note: When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch).

Activation Process
    The new 3G device will be activated in store in both AT&T and Apple stores. Customers must accept AT&T and Apple Ts & Cs, sign a 2-year agreement, and select the data plan for the iPhone 3G before leaving the store. The current iTunes activation process will no longer be required for iPhone 3Gs, however a short tether process to unbrick the 3G device will be performed in all AT&T stores (tether cords will be provided). Apple stores will also perform this tether process, however in the event that a customer's device is not tethered in the Apple store, their device will be inoperable until they get home and tether through iTunes. Prepaid and Pick Your Plan will not be allowed on the 3G device.

The SSK has been modified to allow customers interested in the iPhone 3G to enter their information, select rate plans and data plans, and print a document that will allow COR reps to quickly access the customer's information in OPUS and save time for data entry in the activation process

2. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

What another load of BS on the part of ATT... We'll let the current iPhone customers upgrade for cheap while we shaft the hell out of the unlucky souls who don't have iPhones :rolleyes:

3. saxamoophone macrumors regular

I wish they would tell us what the current AT&T customers (with a current contract) price is.

If it's 200 or less, no big deal, since that's the current price of the iphones....but if they try to sell me a new 3G iphone for $699, I shall beat them up =p

4. saxamoophone macrumors regular

I can kinda see their point though. If you bought a 2g iphone, you paid for ALL of it. So you should still get a AT&T discount since you have never got one yet.

Now here's a question:
    Can I buy a 2g-iphone, activate it, and then go into the apple store looking to upgrade (even though my at&t contract on my non-iphone doesn't expire until 11/09)? Can you "beat the system" that way? =p

5. kleo macrumors regular

I think allot of people here already own an iPhone with a 2 year contract. Does anyone know how much it will cost us to upgrade to this new device. I got mine on launch day and am not eligible for an upgrade till 11/30/08. So WTF? I cant buy the phone without the contract but i cant get a new contract till my current one is up... This makes no sense not to mention apple cant sell new iPhones to old iPhone customers.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

At least it would appear that that affiliation discounts are applicable finally on the iPhone. In my case, that discount will probably make up for the $10 price increase on data.

Now, if only the 3G iPhone allowed tethering for data services....

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Uhm, $199 for the 8GB, $299 for the 16GB.

Edit: UNLESS you bought your 2G iPhone after May 27. Then you can you exchange for a 3G when it comes out.

Says who?

9. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I've been on a corporate plan since January with my 2G. It was $45/mo then too, but I get a $25/mo discount. Hopefully that discount sticks... and I'll continue to pay only $20/mo for unlimited data :)

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Did you read the post at all? 2G iPhone users are eligible for the 3G iPhone at announced prices, but start a new 2-year contract.

I agree with poster above--that does make sense since there was no subsidy the first time around, so giving the subsidy now is "fair". But if it doesn't apply to people who got a "regular" phone with a subsidy in the last year (or whatever the upgrade period is), there are going to be a bunch p.o'd customers.

11. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

...for the first year only then back up to $45 (at least that was the deal when the enterprise plan was initially announced).

Since I don't have a corporate intranet/ActiveSync/Microsoft Exchange server, my enterprise plan is actually normal consumer rate billed to a business account.

12. rayward macrumors 68000

This is because existing iPhone customers have not had the benefit of a subsidy from AT&T. The reason they limit upgrades for non-iPhone customers is because they've given you a subsidy on your handset, and they want to earn that back before they subsidise another one.

13. kleo macrumors regular

Where does it say that? What you just wrote is not in the post at all. The closest thing is this which is totally open ended

"Upgrade Eligibility and Qualified Upgrade Pricing
    Upgrade eligibility will be determined based on standard upgrade eligibility rules. Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades."

14. CKohkah macrumors 6502

My Wife wants to use my old iPhone once I get the 3g unit, but she has no need for a data plan ( she doesn't use the internet much at home let alone on a phone. )

I assume i can just turn the data off on the phone and she can just put her sim card in and use the phone as is... as a phone?

or are ther some steps I'm going to have to take to accomplish this task? She has a very simple plan in comparison to my iPhone plan and just wants it as a phone with texting ability!

Thanks,
    C

15. melninety macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm really confused by this, too. I will be very annoyed if we don't get the same price as everyone else. I signed up with AT&T in March specifically so when I had the cash, I could by an iPhone. The only thing I have seen is this: "Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades."

I'm happy to add time on to my current contract or sign a new one.

16. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I believe the iPhone is a phone that requires a data plan. Considering they force you to choose a data plan upon activation, I don't think you can get rid of it. And honestly, what is an iPhone without a data plan?

17. S Brake macrumors regular

I've been wondering about something that might allow for a secondary iPhone 3G market.
    What is going stop someone from buying an iPhone 3G on day one then going in and buying another afterwards and extending their contract with that purchase, thus allowing them to sell their first phone on ebay?
    This doesn't get you out of a two year contract, but if you have no problem being in a contract with AT&T, it may be a way of getting more phones out there that don't require a two year contract.

18. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

Yeah I know why its being done this way. Basically it equates to everyone wanting their free crap phones. I'll just go buy (another) iPhone in the next few days so I don't have to worry about the exorbitant price that ATT will probably charge for those of us not eligible for upgrade.

19. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

From the original post. Seems to me if your account is in good standing, you're good to go...

"Note: When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch)."

If my IT department allows me to connect the iPhone to the exchange server, will I still be able pay the personal data plan, or can they tell I'm connected to an exchange server and bill be for the enterprise plan?

20. rayward macrumors 68000

I believe the price is now only available with activation. You can't just go and buy an iPhone anymore.

21. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I just sent AT&T an email before I came here and saw this post. I currently have a contract and I know I am not eligible for an upgrade because I only got my Razr about a year ago, so I'd like to know whether AT&T will require me to extend the contract, or if I can just keep the current and add the data plan. I'll post when they respond.

I know I went through this fiasco with them about 2 years ago when I bought my Treo. I wanted to buy one in store and they wouldnt let me as I wasnt eligible for an upgrade,..unless of course I wanted to pay something like $800 for one, so I went to ebay and got one and just swapped my SIM. Hopefully they dont pull any stunts like that this time with the new iphone. I cant imagine that everyone that bought a 1st Gen iphone were either eligible for an upgrade or were new customers, so we'll see what they do this time.

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you are saying now...

23. artward22 macrumors newbie

Take this for what it's worth:

I'm a new ATT customer as of two weeks ago (without an iphone). I went into ATT today and asked if I'll be able to upgrade to a 3G iphone, and if so, whether it will be more than $199. The guy told me that it will be $199 for everyone regardless of upgrade eligibility. You just have to sign a new 2-year contract at the time of upgrade.

24. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

This is probably common knowledge so excuse me for having to ask.

What is IRU?
    What is CRU?
    What is FAN?

Through my employer, I'm eligible for a "10% monthly discount on qualified charges". Does one of these acronyms refer to that?