Alleged 2019 iPhone Rear Chassis Appears on Chinese Social Media With Triple-Lens Camera Markings

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An alleged chassis piece belonging to the 2019 iPhone appeared on Chinese social media this morning with markings on the rear of the device that resemble a housing for three camera lenses.

[​IMG]

The above image and mockup (below), shared via Weibo and later tweeted by Ben Geskin, tally with rumors that the next-generation iPhone will feature a rear triple-lens camera system in a triangular configuration.

Last week, an image of a similar chassis piece appeared on Slashleaks, although rumors about triple lenses in an iPhone began way back in May 2018. Well-known Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in October that he expected the next iPhones to feature triple-lens cameras.

In January, serial mobile leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer (@OnLeaks) released renderings of the supposed iPhone 2019 model, with a similar unusual-looking patch on the rear for three lenses, a flash, and a mic in the triangular arrangement.

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal has since reported that Apple plans to introduce a triple-lens camera system in at least one of the iPhones coming in 2019. Shortly after that report, Bloomberg seemingly confirmed the rumor, but neither publication mentioned how the lenses would be configured.

A triple-lens rear camera on the next iPhone would allow for a larger field of view, a wider zoom range, improved low light performance, and it would capture more pixels, but the appearance of the lenses and the size of the housing on the leaked images has divided Apple watchers.

Article Link: Alleged 2019 iPhone Rear Chassis Appears on Chinese Social Media With Triple-Lens Camera Markings

2. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

I don’t normally care what the back looks like.

However, that is hideous!

3. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

I don't know. I mean, a better camera is nice, but the extra bulk is starting to add up. Plus at least the mockups looks quite bad, especially the white version.

4. Dezmond macrumors member

Looks like a tumor on a mobile device...

Especially if they continue with the design mistake of the camera sticking out like many phones now have.
    Just wish they made the phone a bit thicker to hide the camera more inside.

5. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

This is incredibly ugly, I wonder how they run something like this past Jony Ive.

6. Jezrix macrumors newbie

Soooo ugly!!

7. Skeith macrumors member

Oh boy. it's happening isn't it?

They better have a good reason for that 3rd lens.

8. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

If this ends up like the above renders, then Apple will have absolutely lost their design-edge.

Seriously, give it a bigger battery by making it a tad thicker to make the camera flush with the rest of it, because this is poor design otherwise.

9. airshu macrumors newbie

Makes sense. Other makers put their lenses in a row, or grid, which is normal and looks good
    Apple is different, so they've gone for a triangle
    Which is hideous

10. bollman macrumors 6502

Eventually, we will get a camera hump with a phone that stick out...

11. 0947347 Suspended

12. Skeith macrumors member

I think we need more lenses so that the lens housing is so big that it covers the entire back of the phone.

Thicker iPhones. YES!

13. long time listener macrumors newbie

long time listener

Put lens in the middle like a point and shoot camera.

Attached Files:

14. HacKage macrumors 6502

15. Geoko78 macrumors member

Geoko78

16. rammes macrumors newbie

17. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

The all camera iPhone. Revolutionary.

Attached Files:

18. Rockadile macrumors 6502

Put on the Apple battery case with it for extra ugly points. A hunchback with a tumor.

Can we just get larger aperture and sensor for the current two lenses instead?

19. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Illuminati confirmed.

20. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Oh my the drama, the DRAMA! I'm just going to wait and see what they'll show us in September before letting out my inner drama queen...

21. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

It won’t matter one bit for the 99% of people who put their phone in a case and in the process getting this flat back people are ranting about.

22. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Pretty sure it's legit. It's Cook & Co's Apple we're talking about.

They have a design team of a few hundred people. What are they doing all day? What is Jony doing all day? Same Mac, and iPad designs for years, and now phones with the ugliest camera barfbump in the business. I really don’t get it anymore

23. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

The iPad just got a brand new design last year?

24. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

More bulk and their cameras are not even the best anymore... hell the iPhone camera isn’t even second best anymore.

25. bensisko macrumors 65816

The only real reason I would want three lenses is if it could take some kind of 3D picture or something cool like that.

They’ve got him tied up in a closet and his alien pod has taken over!