Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
You don't need to trust Apple to know the truth, many people have gone thought the phone its self to confirm it, we live in an age of communication, this isn't the 1800's.

Unless those people have gotten hold of the data and positively identified it to contain nothing but the calculated hash of the prints, and then verified that there is no way to reverse engineer that back to a print, and verified that there is no mechanism that changes the data upon an invalid request to look like just a hash et cetera, et cetera you will in fact have to take Apple's word for it.

For the record, I am taking their word for it, even though I don't (yet) have a touch id capable device.

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
Looks the same! The good news is that the 1st iPad Air will go on sale for $100 less lol!

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
wouldn't this make the display more fragile? I mean if there was protective glass film before and now its not there then it will be easier to crack it, no?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What will you do if it crashes as often with 2GB ? Ask for 5GB ?

To you and everyone that upped your post: no, with 2GB RAM it definitely won't crash as much as with 1GB RAM.

I've done a lot of memory usage tests (see my posts here at the Hacks and the iOS7 forum) and I'm absolutely certain this will be the case.

----------

You do realize that it's very possible that while Apple may add more ram to the next model there may be functions in it that might eat up much of that ram. ;)

If they don't change something absolutely radically in the OS, I'm sure we won't see, say, a doubling in the RAM usage of the OS, leaving about 1400 Mbytes to user apps. (Currently, the OS, after freeing up all the disposable memory it initially allocates itself, occupies around 300Mbytes.)

Major memory requirement increase will only happen in one case: if Apple adds windowed, true multitasking. Which I don't think ever happens.

Also I have counted less than 3 crashes in a month's time with extensive use on my iPad Air and that's between iOS 7 and 7.1.

Well, I'm not really sure it was "extensive". I've (and a lot of other users) counted a lot more.

----------

Stop repeating what you've heard on the internet. Try using a device. If it feels fast, it has enough RAM no matter how much Android users tell you need more.

... this is where one needs to stop reading your post. "Enough RAM" in 64-bit iPads? Oh come on...

----------

recent rumors suggests it will actually come with 4G ram and 128G flash

It won't.

1, 4GB would only really be needed if they added something really memory-intensive; for example, windowed multitasking. As this won't (ever) happen, 4GB would be an overkill. 2GB, however, would help a lot in eliminating crashes / Safari tab reloads even in the current state (no true multitasking, no matter what a lot of Apple fanboys not really knowing what they talk about state).

2, They won't give up their lucrative "100$ for doubling the storage" business. They will not start at 128GB storage.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
I never said it started or stopped there, but they certainly are a threat don't you think? This tool sure seems to think so. Assuming ALL of your data is secure is ignorant, no doubt, but if there is a way I can prevent even one piece of information getting into their hands I'm certainly going to do it.

You can view anything as a threat if you wish.
Are you aware that the US government has access to every phone number that exists in the US?! And that they can tie names and addresses to every one of those numbers?!! (it's called the phone book)

This like the anti-government idiots screaming for the "guberment to keep their paws off my Social Security and Medicare."

woj027

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
[/COLOR]
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2

Major memory requirement increase will only happen in one case: if Apple adds windowed, true multitasking. Which I don't think ever happens.

----------

[/COLOR]

why don't you think they will ever offer windowed / true multitasking ? Operating System? does that make it to similar to an MacBook Air? Other?
I'm actually curious, not challenging you.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Stop repeating what you've heard on the internet. Try using a device. If it feels fast, it has enough RAM no matter how much Android users tell you need more. If it doesn't feel fast, I'm sure you'll be happy with any number of Android devices packing 3GB of RAM. At least that's what you can tell yourself.

The 64-bit A7 processor is the fastest mobile processor available and will soon be replaced by the A8. Yes it would benefit the A7 and A8 much more if Apple tripled the amount of RAM in iOS devices but very few apps have yet to take advantage of that much RAM. You must introduce the architecture and hardware first at an attractive price point. Only then will the developers create apps that take advantage of that architecture.

Look at it this way, Apple's developers have a full year lead on every other platform for 64-bit apps. So it might not seem like a lot right now but in a year or two, iOS apps will scream while every other platforms' apps will just be getting their feet wet in the 64-bit end of the pool.

Forget the apps that could take advantage of increased ram, safari crashes or reloads constantly.

My Galaxy Note 3, with 3 gb of ram, rarely crashes and doesn't lag. It's an awesome piece of technology.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Stop repeating what you've heard on the internet. Try using a device. If it feels fast, it has enough RAM no matter how much Android users tell you need more.

Where does that leave pretty much every Safari user, who think that the app sure is fast enough, but keeps reloading tabs or even crashing because the device hasn't got enough RAM? And it sure isn't like internet use would be some niche activity on these devices...

Look at it this way, Apple's developers have a full year lead on every other platform for 64-bit apps. So it might not seem like a lot right now but in a year or two, iOS apps will scream while every other platforms' apps will just be getting their feet wet in the 64-bit end of the pool.

Umm... What are you talking about? Unless you are talking about apps that are doing prime number factoring or extensive physics calculations you won't see any difference in the performance of apps, be they 8-bit or 1024-bits, nor would you code them any different. The main difference is being able to address more than 4 GB of memory, and even that is done by the OS, not the apps.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Make thinner display, bigger battery. The same overall thickness as the current air, I would be happy.

There would be no points in increasing battery capacity with that small of a size decrease.

I'd rather than slim it down a millimeter or two and hopefully Apple A8 will run off less juice.

----------

Where does that leave pretty much every Safari user, who think that the app sure is fast enough, but keeps reloading tabs or even crashing because the device hasn't got enough RAM? And it sure isn't like internet use would be some niche activity on these devices...

Umm... What are you talking about? Unless you are talking about apps that are doing prime number factoring or extensive physics calculations you won't see any difference in the performance of apps, be they 8-bit or 1024-bits, nor would you code them any different. The main difference is being able to address more than 4 GB of memory, and even that is done by the OS, not the apps.

The A7 definitely doesn't scream in benchmarks due to specs... I don't know tech here, but I think 64-bit has helped.

----------

It won't.

1, 4GB would only really be needed if they added something really memory-intensive; for example, windowed multitasking. As this won't (ever) happen, 4GB would be an overkill. 2GB, however, would help a lot in eliminating crashes / Safari tab reloads even in the current state (no true multitasking, no matter what a lot of Apple fanboys not really knowing what they talk about state).

2, They won't give up their lucrative "100$ for doubling the storage" business. They will not start at 128GB storage.

It's possible they start at 32gb alongside the 32gb iPhone. When the 4s came out they doubled capacity, it's the right time to do the same.

Then they can introduce 128gb in place of 64gb.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
why don't you think they will ever offer windowed / true multitasking ? Operating System? does that make it to similar to an MacBook Air? Other?
I'm actually curious, not challenging you.

While I too would love windowed multitasking (this is why I purchased the $10 "Quasar" tweak back in the iOS5 days), let's be realistic:

- such a tweak would require a lot of design & development on Apple's part - orders of magnitude more than, say, adding some new API calls as is routinely done over major iOS version bumps.

- we (people asking for windowed multitasking) don't represent the vast majority of iOS users. They may be confused by new feature - after all, one's Apple's main selling points is the simplicity of their iOS, making those devices accessible to even the non-tech-savvy.

----------

It's possible they start at 32gb alongside the 32gb iPhone. When the 4s came out they doubled capacity, it's the right time to do the same.

Then they can introduce 128gb in place of 64gb.

1, apart from the early 4GB->8GB bump of the original iPhone, it was the 3GS that saw a starting storage bump (from 8 to 16GB) in 2009; afterwards, no doubling has taken place.

2, They CAN, but unlikely to do as they aren't forced. After all, the vast majority of the competitors' premium handsets start at 16GB too.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I know it's a great security feature and all, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving up my finger print to a company so high on the NSA's priority list. Even if it is just stored as data, if anyone can access it, it's probably them...

I don't worry about people coping my fingerprints off my doorknob or ones that I leave on the door handles at a store. Why do I care if they can get them off my phone? (Seriously)

If you think the NSA is copying your GPS location and listening over the microphone and taking your pictures and e-mail off of your phone, then fingerprints are the least of your worries; if you do NOT think they're copying this info then what makes you think they're getting your fingerprints (and not the other info)?!?!?!?

Gary

Last edited:

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Current air already feels cheap due to thin glass on display. This would be a step backwards too

Nope, definite step forwards as it reduces reflections and makes the screen sturdier due to the LCD being laminated to the glass.

----------

This might be a silly question given Apple's track record, but do you suppose there is a chance that TouchID would be an optional function on the new iPad? I feel like that would be a great way to offer a price break for those who don't want this feature like myself.

I know it's a great security feature and all, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving up my finger print to a company so high on the NSA's priority list. Even if it is just stored as data, if anyone can access it, it's probably them...

You don't have to use Touch ID.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Perhaps they can do it like this now because the cover will be made of Sapphire.
This was my first thought when I saw the pics.

That said, I don't claim to know the physical properties of sapphire, i.e., tensile strength vs. compressive strength, or any other factor other than just hardness (which I've read is second only to diamond) that would make it desirable for larger screen sizes. Harder tends to equal more brittle, a quality that becomes more troublesome the larger a thin sheet of it is cut to. If there is a way to cross-laminate substrates in some fashion that the crystalline structure of a thin sheet of sapphire can be made more robust, then great.

I doubt Apple would release a more brittle, more easily damaged screen, so if this display is sapphire or some sapphire laminate, I'm reasonably sure they would have worked out the engineering to make it durable. And if that is a new component of the iPad Air, cool.

Also, conspiracy theorists worried about TouchID giving them away are, to use a biblical metaphor, "straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel." There are so many other easier ways for the intelligence community to find you that they wouldn't even bother with TouchID. Apple did not make a flawless, unbreakable ID system: they just made it sufficiently difficult as not to be worth it. A quick glance at your computer's web surfing history or emails via your ISP would be simple to obtain. Unless you're going full-on tech-dark Amish, they'll have no trouble locating you, and precious few Amish own iPhones.

Oh, and one more thing... it seems to me that conspiracy theorists worried about TouchID suffer from the malady of self-aggrandizement. The NSA doesn't know who you are or where you live because they DON'T CARE. You aren't important enough to pique their interest. The second you would ever become remotely interesting to them they would know everything they need to know in minutes with no help from Apple. Sadly, the NSA, the FBI and the CIA are "just not that 'into' you."

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Using laminated on glass is about time for Apple. Amazon did that with its Kindle Fire HDX and it feels sturdier than the iPad Air likely as a result of that. Apple needs to start pioneering instead of lagging behind competition just so they can save a few bucks, thus maintaining their infamously high profit margins.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I sincerely hope this one is true. The integrated display has been fantastic on the iPhone and it actually feels a little odd to see my fingers floating above what I am touching on the iPad.

I'll be buying this day one to replace my iPad 4 regardless, but I am also hoping for Touch ID. I use a passcode, and must type it dozens of times a day.

I'm on the "needs more ram" bandwagon as well. Anytime I am writing a forum post, or entering data in a form, I am hesitant to view any other tabs for fear that all my typing will get erased if the tab reloads. It's frustrating.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Enough of the make it thinner nonsense. My iPad 3 is thin enough - make it faster with more storage as default and it's fine. I can't complain about battery life, though a narrower bezel would be nice . . .

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Exactly. 64 bits aren't the holy grail. I've developed some pathfinder algorithms in my navi apps in the AppStore - something that requires as high CPU performance as possible. I've very thoroughly tested them with binaries compiled for armv7 (everything after the iPhone 3G / iPod touch 2G and before the iPhone 5 / iPad 4), armv7s (the iPhone 5 / 5c / iPad 4) and arm64 (the current 64-bit devices). There was almost no difference in the runtime performance in running armv7/armv7s binaries running on 64-bit CPU's and native arm64 binaries.

This means compiling for 64 bits won't mysteriously speed up apps requiring a lot of CPU time. Only some of them.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
But also gone would be the inexpensive repairs of cracked glass.

That's true.

But it's also one way for Apple to prove that the only thing that matters is the profit they bring in. That helps dispel the myth that Apple cares about the customer first. Past practice was to boast about what they built for us, a story that many customers actually believed.

Make no mistake, it's all about Apples success.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Ram

You do realize that it's very possible that while Apple may add more ram to the next model there may be functions in it that might eat up much of that ram. ;). Also I have counted less than 3 crashes in a month's time with extensive use on my iPad Air and that's between iOS 7 and 7.1.

RAM:
There might very well be functions (or dedicated chips) that utilize the RAM better (but we don't really know) instead of worse (but thanks for that!). But if they double the RAM, there will still be more for the user than there is now...

CRASHES:
I thought my iPad 4 (and occasionally my iPhone 5s) crashed/locked up quite a bit with 7.0.x

I think they've both been very stable with 7.1, but the last week I've had the iPad lock up multiple times (and crash a few too).

Not sure what's going on the last few days. Maybe it's the particular programs that are giving me problems (and not the OS), I'll have to pay more attention...

Gary

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
This might be a silly question given Apple's track record, but do you suppose there is a chance that TouchID would be an optional function on the new iPad? I feel like that would be a great way to offer a price break for those who don't want this feature like myself.

The cost of the fingerprint reader is far less than it would cost to make a version without one, just don't use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.