Alleged iPad Mini 5 Case Leaks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An alleged case for the next-generation iPad mini surfaced on Slashleaks over the holidays, providing a look at what we can perhaps expect from the next-generation iPad mini.

There's a vertical camera cutout, suggesting the iPad mini 5 might have a camera arrangement similar to the iPad Pro with a rear flash, and a center microphone cutout.

[​IMG]

Speaker cutouts at the top and the bottom hint at a possible four-speaker arrangement, and there appears to be a cutout for a headphone jack at the top.

There is also a cutout at the side, which could mean the iPad mini will get a Smart Connector to support a Smart Keyboard, much like the iPad Pro.

[​IMG]

Aside from these details, not much can be gleaned from the case, and we have no way to verify if it's actually a case designed for a fifth-generation iPad mini.

While we have heard rumors suggesting Apple is indeed working on an iPad mini 5, none of these rumors have included much detail on what new features might be added to the 7.9-inch tablet.

[​IMG]

It makes sense that Apple would add a feature set that would bring its smallest tablet in line with the sixth-generation iPad at the very least, however, and it could also adopt a few features from the iPad Pro. We can expect an upgraded processor and a lower-cost display panel, according to reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

We don't know when the new iPad mini will debut, but recent rumors have suggested Apple will release it in the first half of 2019 to revitalize flagging iPad sales.

Article Link: Alleged iPad Mini 5 Case Leaks

2. techsantos macrumors newbie

techsantos

Seems like iPad 5 rumors have be going on for ages

3. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

4. nawr macrumors newbie

Probably just a typo, but the headphone jack cutout is indeed at the top. Interesting to see if the jack really is going to be there if at all on the device.

5. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

This is great to see for all the mini fans, it’s been a really long time.

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

If this is a case for the upcoming mini...i guess they are keeping the headphone jack. The case edges still look curved, or do they? Trying to figure what the cutout on the right side is. It doesn’t correspond to anything on the current ipad mini. In fact, it looks like where the charging surface is on the new pros. Apple pencil 2 support? Hmmm. Interesting. Either that or the old style smart connector? But would Apple make a keyboard for the mini?? I know a lot of 3rd party cases for the current ipad pros jumped the gun, and couldnt charge the new apple pencil...so maybe this is them jumping the gun again?

7. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

This is one I will queue-in on day one.
    Love my two iPad Mini4s used purely for consumption, and for trips across the pond.

This and a pair of iPhone SE2s will round up nicely my post-Christmas shopping of things Apple.
    Not that Cook deserves it/s

8. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Fake. Highly doubt they keep headphone jack.

9. MaximizedAction macrumors member

Even if it's just case pics, I'm happy to get info on a Mini 5. I love my Mini 4, it's the perfect size for my daily use. But it's gotten a bit slow over the years.

Whenever it comes out, it will be a day 1 buy.

10. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Fake, if the pencil cutout was on that side it wouldnt work with smart covers/cases since the camera would be covered by the folding part

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bet the cutout on the side is for a SIM slot and not a smart connector.
    Either way I might be interested in this as a replacement for my 2015 iPad mini. Still fully functional but battery lasts only about 48 hrs on standby or about 3.5 hours of use.

12. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Mini form factor with larger screen from smaller bezels would sell like crazy. :cool:

13. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

True. The pencil charging pad on the new pros is on the other side. Interesting. Don’t think it’s a slot for the sim tray either. None of the hard cases i’ve ever bought has done this. This could just be another example of manufacturers jumping the gun and putting out a case before they know all the specs. They did it with the recent pros where the 2nd gen apple pencil couldnt be charged. So who knows what this is. I’m just happy rumors about a new ipad mini are heating up!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2018 ---
    That would be sweet.

14. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I am very much hoping the iPad Mini 5 rumor pans out. For me, it’s the perfect size device.

Heck, if an LTE Apple Watch would work with it, I count easily do without a iPhone.

15. dampfnudel, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018

dampfnudel macrumors 68030

The display on the iPad mini 5 better not be inferior to the one on my iPad mini 4. One of the main criticisms of the iPad mini 2/3 was the display. I would also like FaceID on my next iPad mini, but I’ll be okay with 2nd gen TouchID as long as it also has an A12, 4GB RAM, pencil support and a display as good as the one on my iPad mini 4 (or better).

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

From the looks of the case, it looks more rounded right? iPad Pro has square edges now. It looks more like an iphone rounded edge.

17. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

While I don't care about the camera or what the body style is going to be I am more curious about what's gonna go on the INSIDE?!

18. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Hope it has ProMotion in the newer body with FaceID and isn’t just a budget-model like the 2018 iPad.

19. name99 macrumors 6502a

Please, when you give us the news, or rumors, don't give us nonsense commentary. There's enough of that on the rest of the internet.
    "to revitalize flagging iPad sales."

Have iPad sales been flagging?
    Well, look at the graph:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/269915/global-apple-ipad-sales-since-q3-2010/

I'd put those at about flat since 2015 (we don't have the Christmas quarter number for 2018 yet, but I'd expect that's likewise in line with 2017 and 2016).

The product will be released in improved form because there is a demand for it, not because "iPad sales are flagging".

20. nbafan1983 macrumors newbie

nbafan1983

21. kreasonos macrumors regular

I can't wait. This is the best size for a tablet in my opinion after having owned both ipads.

22. scrap104 macrumors regular

scrap104

I wonder if it will use the USB-C port though I wouldn't be surprised it kept Lightning

23. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

I’d love one of those as well. And since I’m wishing for things that won’t happen, I’d also dig a winning PowerBall ticket.

24. TheShadowKnows!, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018

TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Kabeyun, let me add and create a trifecta of desires that will not happen:

1. SE2 preserving old-school 4-in classic style (no fancy-pancy feature set)
    2. Cook demands zero-tolerance for soldering and/or glueing components throughout
    3. Cook unlearns how to compute exponential MSRP increases.
    The PowerBall winning ticket is just gravy on top. Maybe too much to ask to the Gods./s

25. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

I think you mean the headphone jack is at the top instead "bottom", unless the camera is moved to the bottom as well.