Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Bokma

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
For those who don't "see" this: I would like to have one. Looks like a perfect size for reading text books and glossy magazines, maybe even small coffee table books. Plenty of text books (and even magazines?) that weigh more than this device would, so that's a win. As for why not a lap top? When mostly reading the keyboard would be in the way, and more awkward to hold.

I can also see this being used as a small, extra display, to read documentation. It can be put at a slight angle on a desk (it's how I use the iPad I own a lot, it rests partially on the monitor's foot, in front of me). A laptop could be used for this, but the keyboard would be just in the way (and I can't put it where I've my iPad right now).

To summarize: you might not see a use for this, but there are people, like me, who do. The question is, are there enough people who want this.

SgtFire

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
This officially makes me sick of all this crap. Stop it already. PLEASE!!

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
This looks to be Apple's answer to setting the iPad Pro as a long overdue prosumer/professional device for media creation, rather than just consumption. I could see the iPad Pro being a good Wacom Cintiq/Intuos Pro competitor (though I don't see how it could do it without having a stylus for precision).

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
since when does this site post mockups?

I seriously wonder what people think a site like Macrumors should do...? People complain about pretty much everything. They don't want mockups. They dont want stories about competitors, no matter what the relation may be to Apple. They complain about too many software stories. Too many iOS device articles. Too many of this, not enough of that.
I suppose if the editors listened to all these complaints, there would be maybe 5-8 articles posted... per YEAR.

----------

This officially makes me sick of all this crap. Stop it already. PLEASE!!

No Macrumors, please keep posting. I, and many people, enjoy the stories. Noone is forcing these complainers to come to your site, and read the articles that they complain about.
Keep up the good work.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Well I've said before that the emergence of a very credible Office for iPad makes the hypothetical iPad Pro look credible*. Also, I've had a play with a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. It's a lovely device, with a price tag that's high by Apple standards! But what would I expect of an iPad Pro? Something the width and height of the Samsung, but with less bezel and more screen. Also, I'd expect it to come in at a weight fairly close to the iPad 4th gen. Oh, and I expect it to be pen friendly. The Galaxy Note invites you to draw, and write, as well as touch.

* Though last I heard (from The Register, I think), the iPad Pro was taken out back; two shots heard....

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
alleged MOCKUP .... those two words together dont even make any sense. lets make an alleged iToaster and post it from deviantart shall we

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I have been against the idea for a jumbo iPad from the beginning. Mocking it all the way through, but after owning a HP 13" touchsmart sleekbook, I see the error of my thinking. With the added capabilities of new A-series processors and a bluetooth keyboard it will be the way forward for many as a laptop replacement. I have seen the light.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Size would make it unwieldy, thus Apple wouldn't do it. It'd directly compete with laptops (and be worse). If it was indeed that large, it'd work best with a kickstand, ala the Surface, and probably one of those cover/keyboard combos.

Edit: Or a sleek BT keyboard.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who knows if this is legit but it wouldn't surprised me considering that rumor about split screen apps in iOS 8. Mark Gurman was on the iMore podcast yesterday and claims Apple's implementation is supposed to be "really slick" so I won't be surprised at all if we see a larger iPad this fall.

SteveJobs93

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
i look at my iPad retina display and wonder why the hell apple couldn't have slimmed those ugly bezels after the second iPad.. I can't keep up. Apple is falling apart.. Lets all stop for a second a remember Steve.. Did his plans he wrote out for Apple run out ? Guessing so.. What about the non retina iPad mini? The technology was there. Had to throw it in the next model and let the sheeple follow and buy. What in the hell happened.. I miss Steve. I used to watch every interview he did and product launches and what not.. Now i don't watch anything unless i see Johnny I. *Sigh* Miss the good days..

AND lately im lucky if my iPad retina will sync to iTunes... Apple GET YOUR **** TOGETHER PLEASE!
Why have a iPad if you can't put music on it... (Use it for my stereo in my truck)

Rest In Paradise Steve Jobs..
:apple:∆∆∆∆∆:apple:

Last edited:

Maxerl

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Fields of application

Can´t believe some people don´t find a use for a larger iPad.

Professional interactive presentations
Board game board
Wall tv/Painting
For musicians reading scores while playing
Coffee table book (as someone said)

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Why would anyone want to carry that slab when there is the similar sized, but much more capable Macbook Air available.:confused:

I'd doubt that anyone does, this would likely be used for Kiosks, Point of Sale, service stations, etc... I imagine the target audience for this would be for businesses who want a large stationary iPad.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Maybe - but the app icons are simply a launch space. Why would it matter if you have 35 icons on the home screen? You launch an app and you're off the home screen.

Unless you have to have active widgets, which frankly just wastes battery life, on your home screen, the grid of apps shouldn't really matter.

Imagine a large Star TNG panel. A grid of icons as the default would look ridiculous, as it did in Star Trek Voyager:Future's End.

----------

Apple didn't make touchscreen Macs because of arm fatigue.

Well, this isn't exactly lap material. It'll be on some type of stand or wedge, then you're basically using a touchscreen Macbook/iMac, albeit less powerful.

Personally, I don't see it.

Think Star Trek TNG. I think it's a desk device.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Isn't that an 11 inch MacBook Air, not 13? It looks like the iPad screen is bigger and the bezels on the MacBook are similar to that on mine which is 11 and way too big for a 13...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.