Alleged iPhone 12 Molds and CAD Images Show New iPad Pro-Style Design

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A range of images have today emerged from Twitter user @Jin_Store allegedly featuring iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro molds, offering a further look at what may be in the works for the 2020 iPhone lineup.

The molds are similar to those usually seen in the lead-up to the announcement of new iPhones. These physical molds are often based on leaked schematics and are produced by third party case manufacturers to develop cases for upcoming devices.

The design depicted in these images is consistent with other rumors that have leaked from the supply chain regarding Apple's upcoming iPhone models, with iPad Pro-style flat edges that are a significant design departure from current models. The notch does not appear to be any smaller in these molds, but this may be because case makers would probably not need to have an accurate replica of that area.

The mold images show all iPhone four sizes that rumors have indicated Apple may release in 2020: A 5.4-inch ‌iPhone 12‌, a 6.1-inch ‌iPhone 12‌, a 6.1-inch ‌iPhone 12‌ Pro, and a 6.7-inch ‌iPhone 12‌ Pro Max.

The Twitter user also posted a number of CAD renders. CAD images of unreleased iPhones shared online are usually presented as official designs leaked from production factories, but are often made by case makers themselves to predict the design of unreleased devices.

The designs closely mirror other leaks, such as those from Mac Otakara. The expected 3D camera setup, however, similar to the iPad Pro's LiDAR Scanner, does not appear to be present.

Apple is expected to begin production of its 2020 iPhone lineup next month. For more on what to expect from the 2020 ‌iPhone‌ models, be sure to see our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 12 Molds and CAD Images Show New iPad Pro-Style Design

Last edited:
Reactions: cw75

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Holy moly if the "cheaper" iPhone 12 models also get the redesign treatment like the iPad Pros with the flat edges, that would be a dream come true.

The 5.4" iPhone with flat edges would be the true successor to the OG iPhone SE. Day freaking one if that's the case, and I'm someone who never buys anything day one or pay retail!

JetBlack7

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
Portugal
In this thread: This iPhone is ugly! I thought it was going to have *this feature*! What happened to the rumors of *this new thing*!? I'm not buying!

Release time: I'm buying!!!!
Yup. Totally me.
- - Post merged: - -

if you have to ask this, then you don’t understand its core existence in the first place. It houses over eight separate components for the iPhone.

View attachment 924092
People still don't understand why the notch is there.

"BuT tHeRe aRe AnDrOiDs ThAt HaVe A sMaLlEr NoTcH. aPpLe Is JuSt LaZy."

Yup, and they don't sport all the tech the iPhone notch houses. If people want smaller notches, buy an Android.

Lamborrari

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
These models are terrible. In his photos on Twitter, he doesn’t even bother engraving any detail in the camera hump on the back yet he bothers etching in the current notch on the front. These models are little more than what case makers can use to get an idea of what not to block with plastic. I’m also not sure of the apparent thickness of the bezels.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I am not buying that the same thing every year smh
What are you looking for out of tech that is mature?
- - Post merged: - -

They're basically out of ideas for and going back to the 4/4s/5/5s/SE design.
You do realize that phones are now basically a giant screen - there is only so much you can do to make it look drastically different. And even then, what is the point?

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Interesting the SIM tray for the 5.4" model is on the right side. While the 6.1" and 6.7" models have it on the left.

I wonder if the 5.4" model will be limited to sub-6.

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Not saying this is a bad thing but I feel like the Apple is just recycling enclosures at this point - first it was the rounded (3G, 3Gs) enclosure then to the flat/squared enclosure (4, 5), back to rounded (6, 7, 8, X, XS) and now we arrive back to flat/squared again (12)
Well, the iPhone is basically a just rectangular screen. When was the last time a TV-maker did anything drastic in terms of design? They’re very limited with what they can do. If anything, I’m impressed that Apple has managed to switch it up every couple years with designs and materials that feel very premium.

bryce.wilson93

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
Not saying this is a bad thing but I feel like the Apple is just recycling enclosures at this point - first it was the rounded (3G, 3Gs) enclosure then to the flat/squared enclosure (4, 5), back to rounded (6, 7, 8, X, XS) and now we arrive back to flat/squared again (12)
What else would there be? Seems to me the only two logical edges to a phone would be rounded or squared off. Unless you’re proposing some sort of diagonal slant?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.