Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Agreed, it was a point of discussion on the iPhone 5, and after the 5 hit the streets we started seeing complaints from people that their iPhone 5 was bending very easily where as the iPhone had not had such a problem. Now with the iPhone 6 reportedly being even thinner. I worry about its structural integrity to the degree that it will hold up unscathed in day to day usage.

The bending thing. Hmmm. I have my doubts about how people were treating their phones when I saw the photos.

I've had my iPod Touch 5G for 2 years now, which is 1.5mm thinner that the iPhone 5.

I have used it every single day. It's been to festivals, parties, top of mountains, it's been dropped, thrown (when the headphone cable snagged on a branch) and is still as flat as a pencil and in near perfect nick.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I would bet my bottom dollar, if Apple would sell a thin and a not so thin version of the same phone, say Version a) 6.7 mm, protruding Camera, Wall huggers battery, form over function, and Version b) 8.5 mm, flushed camera, fantastic battery life, extremely solid body, that Model b) would sell better.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
I'm obviously holding it wrong. The most action my phone gets when lying flat on a table is me pressing the home button to see if I've got a message or missed a call. If I'm typing, it's in my hand. I'll accept that some of you complaining type with it flat, but I reckon the vast majority of users hold their phones when typing or playing games. It's just easier.

slizgi

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Maybe they will use same gyro they mount in 5s and that protrude camera, solves Apple's problem with gro problems - its simple you no longer can put your iP on flat surface to check how really flat it is :D its brilliant :|

they should make that phone thicker for that crazy 0.7mm, and put bigger battery, that would be much, much better for all of us

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here's an Huawei Ascend P7 which is 6.5mm thick. It has a slightly protruding camera.

p7-hands-6-580-100.jpg

I get that some may not like the aesthetics of it but I have a hard time believing it makes the phone difficult to use on a flat surface.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
because anorexia is apple's aim, be so thin your bones start to stick out. Can someone please educate me on this? If the camera protrudes, that means it will be prone to more damage if the phone falls, gets bumped, etc and the phone itself is so thin already (given that this is indeed legit).

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
For a 7mm thick phone....it can't be...ipod touch has 6mm thin and i understand but this is 7mm thin we are talking about

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Here's an Huawei Ascend P7 which is 6.5mm thick. It has a slightly protruding camera.

I get that some may not like the aesthetics of it but I have a hard time believing it makes the phone difficult to use on a flat surface.

Exactly. Apple charge the highest premium prices for their great design and performance. Their design is now dropping to the level of a Huawei phone and performance dropping behind their main competitors in every area - for what? Being thin. Time to prioritise I think.

I was waiting for the iPhone 6 on upgrade and now I think it'll be the HTC One M8, at least I can drag and drop music and films without going through the god-awful iTunes too, there's literally nothing I've seen about the iPhone 6 or iOS 8 that makes it better than what's being made by competitors for less money.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013

Like i say if iphone 6 will be under 6.5mm thin , yes it can't fit a performance camera in that area...but we are talking about 7mm thin. And i thought Apple will go no thinner than 7mm because of that, to be completely flat

gizmo84

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Are we getting so thin now that components are sticking out of the phone.

How thin is too thin, I think we have our answer.

think of it this way. most people will have a case on theeir phone that is the same or thicker than the height of the camera protrusion. so for most. the phone will still sit flat.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I don't have any problems with the protruding camera especially if (*speculation alert*) the ring is going to be made with some un-scratchable liquid metal alloy...

but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...

I don't understand the obsession with the band issue on the back of the phone at all. Why does this matter to anyone? Do you stare at the back of your phone a lot?

"Sticking out"

It's less than half a mm. It's nothing.

If it's "nothing" then why not leave the entire phone that wide and have a longer lasting battery?

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Is this an issue? Don't most use a case?

Some do, some do not.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Let's not forget that even the iphone 5s has a slightly elevation where is the camera. I think about 0.2mm

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seems to me schematics exaggerate the degree to which certain design elements are noticeable. Here's what the camera looks like on a 5th gen iPod touch. That device is 6.1mm thick. According to the leaked schematics the iPhone 6 is supposed to be 7mm thick. My guess is it will hardly be noticeable or if it is there is a reason for it which won't become clear until the phone is announced and Schiller is on stage talking about the upgraded camera.

design.png

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Personally, a protruding camera doesn't bother me.

It won't bother me either. The camera ring won't protrude on mine since I always use a thin case. If I was a naked user, it would bother me though. Especially if it makes for wobbly typing when lying on a desk.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
My Nexus 5 has a protruding camera. It does indeed wobble on a table. So what? I couldn't care less. And as soon as the iPhone 6 is released I'll get mine.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
By the way, from what I can see here, the protruding camera is on a bevelled area and does not create problems when the phone lies flat on a table..

I was thinking about that, and it seems to me that it may have the opposite effect everyone thinks it does. If it simply had a curved back, it would wobble. But having that protruding camera, it may serve as some sort of additional leg so that it wobbles less (but probably still wobbles, since you'd need at least 3 points of contact for it to be stable).

Anyways, I feel like this iPhone's aesthetics look like some kind of merge of Terran and Protoss. All the circles and lines make me think Protoss, while the materials used make me think of Terran. And I haven't been playing StarCraft that much recently (only played once, for about an hour, in the past month), so I don't think this is the result of having played too much recently. IDK, anyone else want to back me up?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Every two years we have the same conversation:

"It's getting too thin now, it's ridiculous"

Try going back just two generations of design change, see how much difference the weight/thickness makes.

But the iPhone 5S in really thin now.
There is room for a small improvement, but only a small one. They cannot make phones that are too thin to be comfortably held in the palm of the hand. You still have to grab it when it lays on the table and I don't think is possible with a device half the size of an iPhone. So they can slim it by 1 or 2mm, no more.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Not saying this is the case, but a near 0.030 inch tall circular protrusion of a ferritic/martensitic stainless steel alloy would be much valued by third party lens makers to magnetically attach and align lenses.

Making lemonade from lemons seems to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.