Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this weekend shut down all of its stores in California, including those in the San Francisco Bay Area, after beginning to shutter stores in Los Angeles on Friday.

apple-store-closure-california.jpg

All retail locations in California have a notice letting customers know that the stores are temporarily closed, though some are allowing for order pickups and genius bar appointments through December 22. There's no word on when the stores will reopen, but they will remain closed through the holidays.

Apple has shuttered stores in California as COVID cases in the state have continued to rise, and stores in other places around the world are also closed down right now. According to 9to5Mac, there are nearly 100 Apple Stores that are non-operational at this time.

Stores in Tennessee were closed this weekend, and stores that are located in the UK's Tier 4 restrictions are shutting down as of today. 18 stores in Germany and the Netherlands were closed last week, and stores in Mexico and Brazil are closing this weekend.

In most stores that are still open in the United States, Apple is operating in a limited "Express" capacity, allowing for pickups and genius bar appointments but not in-store shopping and browsing.

Apple began closing retail locations earlier this year and many of its stores were shut down for months in the spring. Apple began reopening stores in June, but said that stores could close again depending on local guidelines and conditions. 400 stores are still open.

In all stores, Apple is requiring face masks, limiting store occupancy, conducting temperature checks, implementing social distancing measures, and deep cleaning regularly.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Almost 100 Apple Stores Closed Again, Including All Stores in California

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
While shopping for new headphones is certainly not essential, getting a computer or phone repaired could be considered essential by some folks. I had a Genius Bar appointment (wasn’t essential though) and they only let 8 customers in the store at a time. They had plenty of room to have 15-20 customers in there while maintains social distancing.

I still work part time at a family owned hardware store (essential business) and we haven’t gone super obsessed like Apple does. We limit the amount of customers and have a full time outside sanitizing company in the store wiping things down frequently. Surprising that Apple doesn’t go this route. Just require appointments (they have, but VERY limited) that don’t require 7-10 days of waiting time.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
There you have it folks. Let’s just shut the world down. Shut it down! We’re closed!

Shut it down forever! The government will give us everything we need! Small businesses need to shutdown and wait!! /s

Big corporations are evil, so much anticompetitive practices! Monopoly

*Meanwhile, Google, Amazon and Apple have seen record profits**

Its almost a year since we were told “Two weeks to flatten the curve!”

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
But masks work, don’t they?
Just wear a mask and everything will be okay, right?
I get that this is a highly contagious virus and CAN be deadly, but c’mon folks. >99.95% survival rate.
How many more suicides and livelihoods destroyed have been a result of this? Not to mention trafficking is up, divorce is up, drug & alcohol use is up...
But just for two weeks, right? Two weeks to flatten the curve...

Last edited:

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I get that this is a highly contagious virus and CAN be deadly, but c’mon folks. >99.95% survival rate.
How many more suicides and livelihoods have been a result of this? Not to mention trafficking is up, divorce is up, drug & alcohol use is up...
And this is the reason why Americans are dying by the droves and many others are not. You guys failed COVID.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Because of masks and lockdowns? Or because of suicide and OD’ing? I agree. Let’s go back to normal.
Life is normal here in Australia. Because of masks and lockdowns in the beginning. Seriously, you Americans are the worst. Too selfish to put on a mask to protect your fellow citizens. You’re still mired in your first wave.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The “survival rate” is nowhere near 99.95%, unless you divide by the entire population, which is asinine unless and until everyone in the population has been exposed and infected. You can’t die from a virus that you haven’t been exposed to.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Life is normal here in Australia. Because of masks and lockdowns in the beginning. Seriously, you Americans are the worst. Too selfish to put on a mask to protect your fellow citizens. You’re still mired in your first wave.
As an American, I couldn't agree more. I mainly blame our education system, to be honest, it's probably worse than third world countries. The Trump cult is very prominent and the politicians are inciting misinformation while getting the best treatment when they get sick.

To be on-topic, glad I picked up my MacBook yesterday, apple stores are closed indefinitely.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Hospitals were full in 2018 from the regular flu that people were treated in tents, stop buying into fear.

Remind me, what were the total deaths from all causes in 2020 compared to 2019 and 2018....?
I’m afraid Covid has become the leading cause of death in USA recently. But sure live in your alternative reality bubble. Not a problem we have here. I’m going to have a normal Christmas.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
How many more suicides and livelihoods destroyed have been a result of this? Not to mention trafficking is up, divorce is up, drug & alcohol use is up...

seriously. What is wrong with you? Behind every number is a person. I am literally speechless about this ignorance. You can’t even do the least and wear a mask? Really? American selfishness is always ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.