Alternate X Designs -- (per MR users)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flat five, Oct 20, 2017.

1. flat five, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

This render is showing various ways Apple should have made iPhone X according to forum members:

(click to expand)
    7Xv2.jpg

From left-to-right:
    1) -- 16:9 display with smallest bezels possible for true rectangle.. this model is smaller than iPhone 8 (shorter)

the next five use the same exact frame as iPhone X:

2) -- smallest bezels possible while maintaining a 90º corners on the display
    3) -- this one is like #4 except matching bezel at the bottom (for the symmetrical crowd)
    4) -- the sensor housing is extended the full width of the display.. the display corners require some rounding
    5) -- iPhone X
    6) -- all sensors/microphones/speakers/cameras under display or located elsewhere

7) -- this is what it would look like if the iPhone X display had no notch or rounded corners.. when people think Apple took 'a perfect OLED display' then started cutting notches and corners into it', this is what that phone actually looks like

----------------------------
    notes--

the home screen is the same for each phone.. it starts at the top of the display (notice status info locations) then drapes down.. use this to judge content loss/gains between different models.

if one of your ideas isn't being represented here, i will maybe make a version for you.. depends on how much effort it is :)

all of these phones require either faceID or under display touchID.. there isn't enough room for a home button within any of the bezels.

i may have to post a close up shot to show the difference between models 2 & 3/4 though i think if the image is viewed full size, the difference shows..

-----
    [edit]oct21--noon

changed the image to one with different lighting.. the models/positioning/etc remained the same.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've been waiting since the original iPhone for the one with the integrated toothpaste dispenser.

Disclaimer: This is intended as a humorous reply. Thank you.

3. flat five thread starter macrumors 603

flat five

4. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

1-3: boring and would be just like every other “bezel less” phone on the market.

4: is just as much not symmetrical as people say the real X is. (Top corners do not match the bottom corners)

5: looks exactly what we’re getting with the real X

6: not possible with current technologies

7: same as 1-3, boring

I’m glad MR complainers are not actual iPhone designers and is left to the professionals in Apple’s design labs.

5. mrochester macrumors 68000

The best 2 are 5 and 6. Well get number 6 when the technology exists to do it. For now, we have number 5.

6. acorntoy, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

acorntoy macrumors 65816

I’d take #7, include face Id in the top bezel and Touch ID in the bottom (probably oval shaped like in the older Samsung’s).

7. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Nice work, flat five.

6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 7.

Apple, can we get to 6 asap please? :D

8. macTW Suspended

Except the actual X.

Attached Files:

9. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Are you saying he didn’t show the X in those examples?

It’s #5

10. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Still, he gets points for the Grinch quote.

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

"Should have", not "should of" .... sorry to be the Grammar Police, but it's a pet hate.

12. the future macrumors 65816

And once again it‘s clear as daylight that Apple is right and the doubters (notch-mockers) are wrong. The only thing about the X that is worthy of criticism is the price, especially in europe.

13. macTW Suspended

No I meant I don’t like any of the designs except the actual X design

14. flat five thread starter macrumors 603

flat five

heh.. yeah.

to be clear, the point of the render is to give visual examples of what people say they prefer.. it's not meant to try to make the real iPhone X look better than other people's ideas.. it's meant to be an objective comparison..

i do think sometimes people will say "Apple should've just _______" ..but i don't think they always realize what that means to the entirety of the design or how much screen may go away upon doing that.. so the render is an attempt at showing the various changes.

but subjectively speaking, yes.. i agree with you.. Apple did it right ;)

15. the future macrumors 65816

The thing is, Apple absolutely, undoubtedly tested a myriad of prototypes, some probably close to your renders, and in the end chose the X design. It‘s a very, very elaborate process, yet some users here act like Jony Ive just woke up one morning, had a crazy idea, and that was that. Which is absolutely ridiculous if you know Apple, like, at all. Because it is precisely this deliberation that results in Apple often not doing something first, but most of the time doing it right.

16. flat five thread starter macrumors 603

flat five

here's another version as discussed with @Applejuiced

it's sort of like version 4 above except this one has a bit more vertical height.. basically, it moves the sensor housing up then makes a straight bezel..

AJ version on left -- iPhone X on right.

appleJuiced.jpg

-----
    subjectively (;) )
    i think i would still pick the X over this one.. but, this one moves into second choice position for me (or, i think it does.. i just don't really like any of the other versions* but this one seems sort of neat)

*not counting v6.. that one is neat too.

17. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

#6 is obviously the nicest looking but not realistic/possible at this stage. The iPhone X looks better than all the other alternative designs here.

18. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

#6 makes no sense. Where does the front facing camera go? IR? Dot projector? Speaker?

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

6,4 or 3.

20. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Surprisingly, all of them look "off" to me, except #5.

I guess I've already taken to Apple's notched X design.

21. flat five thread starter macrumors 603

flat five

i think if they made #3, there wouldn't be a 'function area' (or whatever the bottom zone on the X is called)..

as in, the horizontal bar at the bottom of the X probably wouldn't be there and we'd swipe up beginning on the bezel.. similar to how we currently access the control panel.

so, the usable space for UI would likely extend all the way to the bottom of #3 screen..

however, we'd lack the ability to get a more "immersive experience" by letting content flood out into the furthest reaches of the corners.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2017 ---
    right.. i don't think anybody actually believes they could've built #6 this year..
    so that one is more just for looking at without (most of) us thinking it could really be built.

22. the future macrumors 65816

Looking at #5 and #6 … #6 would actually be no more functional than #5, at least as long as the status bar is shown. I agree #6 is the endgame, but it‘ll take many years to get there.

23. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

I happen to have some render proposals that might be interesting to see.

#1 notch to the left (or right) instead of being cenetered.

#2 notch split in half and each half put on each side, so that the current notch space is screen and the ears are notches.

Either way I still thing the X notch is the best possible design out of all these scenarios.

24. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Those first 2 or 3 are what the iPhone 8 should have been.