Aluminum AW's?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Closingracer, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Curious to how many people have them and still scratch free? I have a hard time justifying paying $600 just to worry about scratches .

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I owned the Sport Model. It uses the 7000 Series aluminum, which is fairly scratch resistant. That said, the Sport model appears to suffer from chipping, because its painted. Once the aluminum is scraped/scratched, its permanent.

Unlike the stainless model, which I own currently, if it does scrape, it can be buffed out. My verdict lies with the stainless model. It's by far my favorite and the sapphire display is far superior over the Ion-X Glass used on the Sport model.

3. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

I'm curious what people's experiences are too. I think it will vary by color. My slate iPhone scratched easily, space gray only slightly, and gold not at all. Though I hear silver does the best job of not showing wear.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    Painted? Aren't they all anodized, like iPhones, MacBooks, etc.?

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Indeed it is. But if you search and read about the sport watches in these threads, if it's banged against surfaces, chipping can occur. The space gray more specifically really shows chipping with its darker color. The silver aluminum model is also prone as well. Where as the stainless 316 L only scratches, which if not deep enough, can be buffed out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-sports-black-paint-chipping.1919173/

5. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

Makes sense. The only marks on my space grey iPhone 6 were from a drop, at the site of impact, but were more like depressions/scuffs, not "chips" with material gone.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The iPhone 6 also uses 6000 Series aluminum, where the iPhone 6s uses the 7000 Series aluminum. I know near the lightning port, it's not uncommon for chipping to occur.

7. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

As far as the aluminum goes I don't care enough for that. Probably should of specified that. What I am worried about is it worth spending $200 more solely for Sapphire glass after I took a few days to justify getting the series 2 over series 1 to begin with. Was deciding between a series 0 SS for $349 or my current rose gold with blue sports band for $399. I like the color Tbh and probably wouldn't hesitate if there was a rose gold aluminum with Sapphire galas.

8. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

I currently has the rose gold one and have until January to decide if I want a SS model. Debating if I really want to spend around $750 for a watch after you include a Dock, Apple care and the watch.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The stainless model is a price hike, but it feels more premium. The Saphirre display really is the ticket winner. I have zero scratches on mine. I personally think the stainless Model has More to offer in terms of resale as well, where the aluminum model is more flooded on the market with price point and availability.

10. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't care for resale value since I'm going to keep this until it's unusable. Only thing worthwhile with the SS is the Sapphire screen. Not 100% sold on it yet rgi

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The 316 L stainless is stronger/more durable than the aluminum as well. It feels much more substantial, if you can appreciate the added weight. The Sport model just feels/looks cheap to me and it's almost to lightweight in my Opinion. But yes, the sapphire display is a huge advantage over the Sport model.

12. Nell macrumors regular

I have a silver aluminium watch which I've had about 16-17 months and have worn all day every day for that time. I'm not remotely careful with it do it's taken a few knocks but is almost scratch free and the screen is still perfect.

If I got a series 2, I'd quite like stainless steel as change but the silver aluminium is a reliable choice in terms of durability.

13. AdModerator macrumors newbie

AdModerator

I have a space grey sports Series 0. The letterings at the back of the case has completely peeled - starting from the Apple logo... Maybe my sweat is super corrosive? I've seen the exact corrosion pattern on some of the pictures in this forum.
    The front of the case has lesser wear and tear on the aluminium case. But the glass has a ton of micro scratches at the edge.

I have since upgraded to a Stainless Steel model months ago and hasn't seen any major scratches on body and case.

14. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

My wife and I have owned AW Sports for over a year. Neither of ours have had the peeling or scratching others have experienced. Our Ion-x Watch faces are also scratch free, even though I have bumped mine several times during normal activities. We recently bought nylon bands and I picked up a leather loop when BB had their 25% of Apple accesories sale.

I do not expect the Watches to last more than a couple of years due to changing technology, so i cannot justify the higher cost of the SS or Ceramic models. I am planning to buy an S2 Nike when the prices come down, but my wife will continue to wear her S0 until it is no longer usable.

15. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

16. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

There you have it then. If you will be buying this to keep it until it's unusable you'll want the SS (maybe Space Black one) as the screen will last longer and the SS can have scratches buffed out. If you go for the Space Black it's much better for scratches too.

17. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Please explain why you feel this way. Do you own one?

18. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

OK...... Great reason...

19. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Excellent point @abdulkar.im. That's why most sell their Sport Watches or drop in value, because they don't really hold up. I'm not speaking for everybody, but from what I read, the stainless can withhold better with damage. Most don't realize, the Sport model chips because it's painted (And Anodized). The black stainless is on my list. I already own the stainless model.

20. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

• It also depends on your preference for weight. The SS is heavier than the aluminum one. Personally, I prefer to have less weight on my wrist.
    • With series 0 and 1, the SS's sapphire glass covered display is also less readable in bright environments than the Ion-X glass covered AW Sport - that's why Apple significantly increased display brightness for the series 2.
    • The drop in value also hits the SS models. Smartwatches are still an emerging technology, which means that - unlike PC's or even notebooks nowadays - the tech will advance pretty fast, thus rendering older variants uninteresting in a very short time (=sharp value drop). Perhaps they even get near to being unusable with the next or one but next OS update - remember how iPhones like the 4 got slow with an update due to lack of Ram and CPU power?
    • I feel that the advantage of being able to polish scratches from the SS body is a more theoretical one. During the 2-3 years of usable life it probably won't gather enough scratches for you to really bother polishing.
    • Eventually it's also a question of taste. Personally I do prefer the matte finish on the aluminum watches over the blinking SS surface. To me(!) that feels a bit on the tacky side. Together with the heigher weight that shouts "cheap tech" (again, to me!).
    • The Space black could optically be an alternative, but it seems unclear whether the coating on series 2 is still as resilient as on series 0. And the significantly higher price is not worth it to me. Especially with the tech expectably outdating so fast.

21. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

It's all about personal choice, but I will give my feedback on the above.

1) I personally prefer a weightier watch as that gives the impression of quality. My Seiko was the same and I love the feeling of weight on my wrist.

2) My wife has a sport and I a SS, the glare from the sapphire screen isn't really that bad to be honest and the sapphire offers many more benefits than negatives over the Ion-X.

3) I agree, but the SS at least won't have a scratched up screen or bits of lettering hanging off.

4) Also slightly true, my SS hasn't needed to be polished, but I look after it and don't bang it around due to the fact I've worn watches for years. At least you have the option though, with the sport you scratch it and you're knackered.

5) Personal choice which is cool, but I feel the polar opposite. Many high-end watches use SS and they can't be considered cheap looking. The SS is more traditional and dresses up much better in a work/evening environment. Again though, all personal choice. I prefer the matte black iPhone 7, but SS Apple Watch... lol

6) The SS and SS Space Black are the same starting price in the UK (£599 - damn you Brexit!!), it's just the link bracelet version that has a difference of £100. I'm currently bombarding Apple with regards to the DLC coating as I have a Space Black on order. However, most people with a Series 0 and Series 2 think it does have the coating.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I believe anything tech related, outdates quickly being how fast new technology is evolving. That said, the Apple Watch 2 really isn't anything advanced over the first Gen Watch. The GPS function, S2 processor, and water resistance are the only real major tweaks.

Likely Apple Watch 3 will be huge revamp with a new chassis, more health sensors and micro-led is a possibility.

The Stainless model will likely hold value being its a More premium Watch with the Saphirre display (Which is the real difference Maker between the Sport model.) Also, the overall condition will contribute to the resale value.

And reference the Series 2 Black Stainless, I have been very hesitant to purchase this model, being the unspecified Answer if the DLC coating exists or not. I would like to think it does and Apple wouldn't back track what makes the black stainless so unique. But until then, I'm not purchasing this model until Apple confirms this or is confirmed otherwise.

23. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Yeah, I've purchased, but Apple will have until 06/01 to confirm to me, or it's going back! lol

24. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Please, Feel free to personal message me on what you find out. I am highly interested to hear how they respond. Hopefully, your purchase goes well.