Am I doomed? this account has reached the maximum number of unlock requests allowed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ataboc, Sep 17, 2014.

1. ataboc macrumors 6502

ATT denied my unlock request. Yes, I have waited the two years and am eligible for an unlock.

I can't call ATT as I'm out to sea.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. lke macrumors 6502a

4. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

I unlocked two 4s two years ago when I purchased the 5.

Usually they're pretty fast to honor the request. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen or if a call could clear this up??

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Any other family members on this account who've made requests? I believe max is 4 unlock requests per account per year.

6. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

Their site states 5 per year. No, I'm the only one on the account.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Must be a fluke. Try the online request again and failing that, initiate a chat with a rep.

8. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i used to work with att customer care and when people would get that "too many attempts" message when they know they didnt unlock 5 in a year it is usually because they submitted an unlock request, and after it was granted they never restored the phone in itunes to complete the unlocking process. I am not positive that is what happened in your case but i thought it was worth mentioning

9. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried again. No joy. It seems the chat will not work with this antiquated browser. Oh well, I'll have to wait it out..

10. ltb7 macrumors 6502

same thing happened to me and i have only done 1 iPhone in 2012 and wanted 2 iPhone's done now in 2014, the limit is 5 unlocks in 12 months - i have a manager i'm dealing with, if you need help, i can totally help you - i can call tomorrow, just send PM

i was out to sea for 16 days once, doing a delivery of a 44 swan to the BVI's, i saw my first green flash! ha!

i assume your are on a big ship?

----------

there must be a problem if we both got the same response, yunno? def more than a fluke since same happened to me!

you need to spill your secrets so we get better bills! ha!

11. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, well, I haven't had one sucessfully unlocked this year so I'm not sure..

Yes, a very large ship. I appreciate it!

12. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

Lol there was a point in time where all att managers needed was the phone imei and they had a program where they could manually unlock it in seconds. a few months ago they stopped that and now your best bet, if a wipe and restore in itunes doesnt give you some sort of "congrats your phone is unlocked" message, is to have an att rep submit a manual unlock case. in which case it will still be a few business days but it does work

13. ltb7 macrumors 6502

totally! send me PM and i'll call in morning!! :) as far as i know, you only need your IMEI code, that is was i gave them - no clue what status is yet on mine....

putting it in my reminders now so i don't space coming back here to check!

gotta love those sea legs when you get off the boat! hah! have a good one!

----------

thanks! that is what she did but even worse now is that the unlock group is separate from everyone and they can only email them and not call! so bizarre, can only assume they had issues with bad people doing unsavory things so it had to become stricter but clearly it's too strict now! thx again!

14. nasdaq19 macrumors newbie

I had this same thing happen today too. I submitted a request online on AT&Ts site to unlock my phone. I received an email within a few minutes with the following:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.

We cannot complete your request because this account has reached the maximum number of unlock requests allowed during a given period. If you have questions, please review the AT&T Mobile Device Unlock eligibility requirements by going to this link, att.com/deviceunlock.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or Mobile devices, please visit att.com."

There is zero chance that I've exceeded the number of unlocking requests. I've never unlocked before and the others on my plan have no idea what that even means!
    I called AT&T tonight and spoke to a nice rep. She saw my submission, saw it was rejected, and agreed it did not make sense and that I should be able to unlock without any issue.
    She stated she sent in a request manually and I should hear back with 2-3 days. While she didn't say it, I took from her responses that this isn't the first time she's seen this the last few days - thus it looks like something on AT&Ts end is having problems.
    I'd suggest anyone calling AT&T (I just dialed 611 from my phone) and asking for help if they get the same message.

15. nasdaq19 macrumors newbie

Update to my issue working to unlock my phone.
    See my post above for what has occured so far.

This morning, I received an email from AT&T:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T mobile.
    We cannot complete your request for one of the following reasons:
    • A recent upgrade has been completed on your account. Please resubmit your request after 14-days from date of upgrade.

If you have questions, please review the AT&T Mobile Device Unlock eligibility requirements by going to this link att.com/deviceunlock. For business customers please visit att.com/biz for assistance with an unlock request.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or other Mobile devices, please visit att.com"

So, I'm not sure if this is actually correct or not. I did just upgrade to purchase the new iPhone 6. But not sure why it takes 14 days after I get a new phone to unlock it.
    Does anyone have insight into this?

Also, the initial email I received from AT&T said I would not unlock because I've exceeded the maximum number of unlock attempts on my account (which is not possible). It looks like AT&T has a problem and is sending that message when instead they should be sending the message above.

Either way, this unlocking is a bit puzzling and more run-around with AT&T - it just never ends!

If anyone has insight, I'd welcome hearing comments.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's standard policy and is in place to prevent people who are not quite completely out of their contract (e.g., the actual end date of your contract is later this month despite at&t's pushing your upgrade eligibility to the first of this month) from requesting the unlock and changing their mind and returning the new iPhone 6 within the 14-day return period.

Either wait out the 14 day return period of your iPhone 6 or initiate a chat with an at&t rep to try to get them to circumvent this policy if you're in a hurry.

17. ryanyearling macrumors newbie

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

ATT's Chat is not working well as they are still being hammered from happy iPhone 6 Plus people!

19. lke macrumors 6502a

I am sure yes because they are on ebay.

Before I have use one and they work without issues.

Look at the seller reputation before buying one

20. ryanyearling macrumors newbie

21. illutionz macrumors 65816

Have the same issue. Escalate it and they'll get it unlocked.

22. ryanyearling macrumors newbie

Mine got denied.

23. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Damn these have gotten expensive. I paid like $4 last year. I know AT&T has locked down a lot since then.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you are out to sea, this implies that you are active military.

Get hold of ATT and explicitly tell them that. IIRC, they have policies in place to unlock phones for active military who are on duty.

BL.

25. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Or you could call...